MOC: Temple of Lazarus

26 replies to this topic

#1 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

Posted Image

High in the in long lost mountain there stood a waterfall and pool.
Many years ago a great King built this temple to protect this mystic pool. The pool, it is said grants the power of renewed youth. But only those who are Worthy.

Those that are not worthy, suffer a monstrous fate.

Every 50 years the king returns to renew himself, accompanied by a small army.

The Army is not for protecting the King - he is just and well loved.

Instead, the Army is in case the King is found Unworthy...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#2 Corweena

Corweena

Member: 20051

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

WOW! I love the stone work.....simply amazing! Great MOC overall.
My Space Sale! Blacktron, Spyrius, Ice Planet, and more!

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=60900

#3 punkkid364

punkkid364

Member: 15358

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

Beautifully built and shot wonderfully!

#4 Niku

Niku

• Wants two initials

Member: 14912

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:40 AM

It is beatiful not only in its conceptual design and background story but also the way you build it up has great realism and the scene is just full of epicness and suspense.

Posted Image

Spoiler

#5 Skipper

Skipper

Member: 19281

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:55 AM

Wow. Very intriguing backstory and even better MOC!

I love the way the temple is integrated into the rock work, and the lighted pool looks great in the dark shots.

I hate to compare something this awesome to TCW, but it reminds me of the scene where the Zillo Beast is being transferred to the lab.

Love it. :drool:

#6 CaptainBermuda

CaptainBermuda

Member: 18415

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:25 AM

That's very coo., I like the brickforge hoplite helms, probably the best brickforge piece ever :sweet:
"Men, we led those dumb bugs out to the middle of nowhere to keep 'em from gettin' their filthy claws on Earth... but we stumbled onto somethin' they're so hot for, that they're scramblin' over each other to get it! Well, I don't care if it's God's own personal anti-S.O.B. machine, or a giant hoola hoop, we're not gonna let 'em have it! What we WILL let 'em have is a belly full of lead, and a pool of their own blood to drown in! Am... I... RIGHT, Marines?!" - Sergeant Johnson

#7 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

Like I said on Flickr, this just looks fantastic. The rock work is nicely done and the temples and steps look perfect. The lighting really brings the scene to life and is really used to great effect. Im a big fan of this era of buildings and keep meaning to make a temple. This is very inspiring, well done :thumbup:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#8 Viceroy

Viceroy

Member: 16554

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

Fantastic build and great use of light to really bring it alive. It does feel very ceremonial and your minifigs are great too. While you've stated that this shrine is located on a mountain, your MOC would work equally as well in a subterranean location!
Hvar Icewind - Travelling Merchant and Bard.
Owner and Proprietor of The Worlds End Caravan Co.
Official Guild Catographer
For Mitgarida!

#9 andhe

andhe

Member: 19348

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

What happens next?! I was sucked into the story. Great MOC and photography. A real feeling of ancient wonder and intrigue. Will have to take a closer look on flickr.

#10 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Great moc, really like the temple! Also awesome photography!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#11 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

Very interesting MOC. The overall build is nice. I very much liked the story with the little twist at the end. I was also asking myself what happened next.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#12 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

This is an awesome design. The structural pieces are fantastic, but I'm drawn to the rock work as the most impressive part. It looks so natural and believable. The crooked staircase and of course the lit water make this just an outstanding MOC.

The attention to all these details really set this a step above the norm.

#13 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

Member: 8037

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

What a masterpiece!
I love this fantastic MOC! Marble and stone everywhere!!! :thumbup:
Beautiful lights in the first pictures! :wub:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#14 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

View PostNiku, on 10 October 2011 - 01:40 AM, said:

It is beatiful not only in its conceptual design and background story but also the way you build it up has great realism and the scene is just full of epicness and suspense.

View Postandhe, on 10 October 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

What happens next?! I was sucked into the story.

View PostTheLegoDr, on 10 October 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

Very interesting MOC. The overall build is nice. I very much liked the story with the little twist at the end. I was also asking myself what happened next.

I actually planning a MUCH longer story about two brothers, how they found the pool, how they built the temple, how the unworthies came out etc etc - but I cut it short  cause I realized if I was going to tell a long story I should brickbuild some of the key scenes... and that'd mean I'd have to destroy the temple... or build a duplicate  :sick:

View PostSkipper, on 10 October 2011 - 01:55 AM, said:

I hate to compare something this awesome to TCW, but it reminds me of the scene where the Zillo Beast is being transferred to the lab.
I actually got the idea from Batman - this is how Ra Al Ghul is 'immortal' - but I put in a little twist!

View PostCaptainBermuda, on 10 October 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

That's very coo., I like the brickforge hoplite helms, probably the best brickforge piece ever :sweet:
It was one of their first items - but still my absolute favourite - as you can see I have a few  :laugh:

View PostDerfel Cardarn, on 10 October 2011 - 09:25 AM, said:

Like I said on Flickr, this just looks fantastic. The rock work is nicely done and the temples and steps look perfect. The lighting really brings the scene to life and is really used to great effect. Im a big fan of this era of buildings and keep meaning to make a temple. This is very inspiring, well done :thumbup:

I would LOVE to see you do a temple - I can't imagine what awesomeness you'd come up with  :sweet:

View PostViceroy, on 10 October 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

Fantastic build and great use of light to really bring it alive. It does feel very ceremonial and your minifigs are great too. While you've stated that this shrine is located on a mountain, your MOC would work equally as well in a subterranean location!

*huh*
THAT IS BRILLIANT.

I could build an entire CAVE, and have the light bouncing from the roof...  :wub:
It would take a stupid amount of pieces...
I may rebuild it ... and use this idea if you don't mind.
oh CCC is coming up too isn't it?  :devil:

View PostBig Cam, on 10 October 2011 - 04:20 PM, said:

This is an awesome design. The structural pieces are fantastic, but I'm drawn to the rock work as the most impressive part. It looks so natural and believable. The crooked staircase and of course the lit water make this just an outstanding MOC.

The attention to all these details really set this a step above the norm.
Thanks for the kind words! I find the details is what makes me proud of the my mocs - which is also why I don't tend to have really large ones as it's quite piece intensive. :wink:

#15 Sirens-of-Titan

Sirens-of-Titan

• Future tiler

Member: 4341

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

Beautiful creation SI-mocs! The lighting in blue gives a very elegant and mystic character to the temple!  :thumbup:

Extraordinary lighting and a masterful build make this a winner in my book! Well done!  :sweet:
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."
— Terry Pratchett

My MOC Pages
My Flickr

#16 Viceroy

Viceroy

Member: 16554

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:11 PM

View PostSI-mocs, on 10 October 2011 - 07:02 PM, said:

*huh*
THAT IS BRILLIANT.

I could build an entire CAVE, and have the light bouncing from the roof...  :wub:
It would take a stupid amount of pieces...
I may rebuild it ... and use this idea if you don't mind.
oh CCC is coming up too isn't it?  :devil:

Go right ahead buddy, I'd love to see it done!
Hvar Icewind - Travelling Merchant and Bard.
Owner and Proprietor of The Worlds End Caravan Co.
Official Guild Catographer
For Mitgarida!

#17 Cee

Cee

Member: 20720

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:03 PM

A very nice Moc i love the mountain landscape looks awsome

#18 kibosh

kibosh

Member: 17620

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

Wow.  Can you talk a bit about the lighting in the pool?  How was it done?  And maybe some photography advice?
Check out my daily Lego picture at alegoaday.com.

#19 Hartfan

Hartfan

Member: 7523

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:30 PM

Amazing MOC. Love the shots. Looks great !!!
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be...

#20 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

View PostSirens-Of-Titan, on 10 October 2011 - 09:52 PM, said:

Extraordinary lighting and a masterful build make this a winner in my book! Well done!  :sweet:

I WIN!  :laugh:

View PostCee, on 10 October 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

A very nice Moc i love the mountain landscape looks awsome

View PostHartfan, on 10 October 2011 - 11:30 PM, said:

Amazing MOC. Love the shots. Looks great !!!

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.

View Postkibosh, on 10 October 2011 - 11:20 PM, said:

Wow.  Can you talk a bit about the lighting in the pool?  How was it done?  And maybe some photography advice?

Sure no problem - there's actually three light sources - two of them are 4 LED light bars you can get at your local dollar store.
There's one inverted in the temple - but the batteries were running low so it's not AS noticeable.
The other is right under the pool.

The pool is literally a massive block of 1x2 trans dark blue, built with 1x2 transclear plate to hold it all together - nothing overly complicated  :wink:

The last is a little head light (not very powerful) that's behind the waterfall itself - it's not very bright but the lights in the pool make up for it.

--

With regards to photography advice - was there a specific question you wanted to ask? or something you want me to look over? or was along the lines of how to 'shoot in the dark'?

I used several tricks the main ones are:
The first and last shot I had regular spot lights on to add light.
The middle shot was pure darkness.
the 2nd and 4th shot was super cheating - using my TV to glow blue in the room ;)

The rest were my standard bag of tricks - I also did a little write up about my Photo tricks here that might also be useful:
http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1052484

Most of it applies to this build as well - though it's not nearly as large as the last layout.

"Where to start?
Tip 1) TRIPOD! very important, in low light conditions - even the 'brightly lit' shots were longish exposures.

Tip 2) Delayed shutter release - aka timer - I use it a lot for low light -as even releasing the shutter button causes SLIGHT vibrations. so if you have a 10s delay that vibration subsides by the time you take your shot - alternatively use a remote to trigger your camera.

Tip 3) Lighting is important. Even when there is lack of light  
Regardless if it's light or dark, try to make it evenly bright/dark over a large MOC. If you don't, since it's a long exposure one side will be unnaturally bright in one area.

Tip 4) In photography terms: Depth of Field or 'DOF' is what's in focus - in large mocs this is the hardest thing to work with.
The easiest trick is actually shoot your moc from as far back as you can and 'zoom' with your lens.
Alternatively you want the high 'Fstop' (that's F# like F9) that will give you a greater depth of field.
you can read more at: http://en.wikipedia....n_image_quality
Check out the image and seeing how just changing the Fstop can change how the picture looks (also good to know for when you want to do the reverse).

Tip 5) Take your time! and take lots of shots! - pretty obvious but take your time, I think I took over an hour taking pictures and 'trimmed' it down from 99 to the ones in the gallery.

To answer you specific questions:
I have a ball joint tripod that helps move around and take shots faster, but any tripod would work. I have a Nikon D90, but really any camera could have done if you follow some of the tips below - I used to have a pocket camera, and some of my favorite photos of all time were taken by that 'crappy' cam.
I used a lot of different lighting depending on the shot - anywhere from 2 bright spot lights (bounced off wall/ceiling) to a pocket LED flashlight to light up specific areas to using my TV to bounce some coloured light to absolute darkness - it depends on the shot (any in particular you were interested in?)"

--
If you have any other questions feel free to ask or pm me!

#21 Sid Sidious

Sid Sidious

Member: 20847

Posted 11 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

I like the broken stairs in it, that was a nice touch.  The rock work definitely looks very jagged and realistic.  Good job.

#22 fff

fff

Member: 9595

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

Nice story, and great design.  :wink:
Posted Image

#23 Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy

Member: 21048

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

I really like the well-thought-out backstory that goes along with the MOC. A real winning touch!

#24 Leo-J

Leo-J

Member: 12259

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Top-notched build and photography!
Need bricks? Come shop in The Brick Hub™.

#25 The WarMocer

The WarMocer

Member: 24041

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

Simply MAJESTIC!

that blue pool... it looked like it was just
blue tiles with some blue light on it
REALLY impressed by your tecnics!
Posted Image
Playing as Sancho Praudfout, a Lvl. 1 53 year old halfling rogue in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Power: 4 Health: 7/7 / Inventory: Throwing Knife(WP:3), Vial of Venom, Bedroll, Potion / Gold: 5

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users