The Supply Tender 'Ratsée'

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic  – Started by Legeaux , Sep 06 2006 02:50 AM

#1 Legeaux

Legeaux

Member: 893

Posted 06 September 2006 - 02:50 AM

The Ratsée is a brigantine rigged (or hermaphrodite brig, if you prefer) tender which is the supply vessel for the French squadron of Port Brique. Her simplified rig allows for easy handling by her small crew (Master, master’s mate and half a dozen seamen), and her sole armament is a bow mounted swivel gun generally used only for signaling.

Posted Image

Like the Trésfroid, the Ratsée is built on a one centre section narrow hull, using inverted slopes to gain some hull width. I decided to, rather than use inverted slope bricks for the centre section (as I did for the Revenge and some of my other smaller vessels), to use a painted white centre section (which I happened to have spare). It’s not a perfect colour match with the dark grey hull by any means, but I think it looks okay, particularly in this application.

The Ratsée uses the small ratlines, which, when combined with a vertical (rather than inclined, like the Trésfroid) rig, make for a robust solution to gaining height for the new style topmast sections. A short technic axle runs from the topmast (the base of which is designed to accept an axle), through the 4x2 technic plate ‘top’, into the top few 2x2 rounds of the mainmast. I guess a longer axle could be used (even one which runs all the way to, or through, the deck), but I find the short one provides enough strength in this application.

The raised forecastle and quarterdeck are probably a bit too much for a vessel this size, and they, with their access ladders, take too much deck space that could otherwise be used for cargo… for the moment though, form overcomes function: The Ratsée is designed to be an older vessel, used to support the more modern men-o-war of the French Squadron. (But I’ll probably rebuild it with a flush deck later, anyway).

As I noted above, the rig has been kept simple. Flex tube arms replace traditional plate arms for the foretopsail – it doesn’t look unreasonably light (I particularly dislike use of flex tube arms on the Viking longboat, not simply because of the inaccuracy of having a lower arm, but because of their flimsiness – particularly when juxtaposed with the gigantic sail and chain sheets, the dichotomy is quite painful!).

The bowsprit, which I think complements the brown masts nicely, is that most underrated part, the teepee pole. It’s brown, it’s tapered, it’s easily secured to the vessel… what more could a builder of small vessels want?

Oh, and especially for Mister Phes, the Ratsée is carrying an officer and two marines to one of the men-o-war in the squadron. (Just to make sure the flags and the figs match) ;-)

Here are some more pics, if you have the time:

http://www.brickshel...ships/rat01.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat02.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat03.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat04.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat05.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat06.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat07.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat08.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ships/rat09.jpg
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#2 Aaron Morse

Aaron Morse
  • I was the Master

Member: 873

Posted 06 September 2006 - 04:21 AM

Ritchie I'm some glad you joined us here at eurobricks.  I always enjoyed your designs at that other site but there was very little activity other there, I usually  end up borrowing design elements from your ships.

Aaron

BTW did you recently show a ship with a MOC anchor? if so could you post a pic again?  thanks
�The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate.�

Bern Williams

#3 MonkeyBosun

MonkeyBosun

Member: 917

Posted 06 September 2006 - 06:38 AM

Very nice design.  You said you used a painted center hull....did you paint it yourself?  I've considered using paint before, but I always worried what the result would look like.  It looks like it works very well here.

#4 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 06 September 2006 - 08:39 AM

Hello Richie, I did't realise till now you are the owner of Port Brique.
Well, I love your site and your army. I actually have it bookmarked!
Great to have you here.

Well, the ship looks really good. I like the colors you used.
I also use paint on lego (use the paintbrush that I have for model-building).
But till now I only used it on small parts (minifig helmet, small animals,...).

B.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#5 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

Mr Legeaux I see you've used the Flybo hull, well done!  I've got 2 of these and haven't done anything with them as yet. I was thinking about making small vessels with them because as far as I know there is no gray middle hull section therefore forcing me to create my own custom mid section.

One minor nitpick though...  The mid section appears to be a different shade of gray than the bow and stern or is that just how it looks in pictures?  If not I assume its due of piece limitation but I wouldn't be critiquing if I didn't point it out!

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 6 2006, 12:50 PM, said:

Oh, and especially for Mister Phes, the Ratsée is carrying an officer and two marines to one of the men-o-war in the squadron. (Just to make sure the flags and the figs match) ;-)

Ah yes, fine detail you've added there but  hey haven't got a close up picture!

#6 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Member: 851

Posted 06 September 2006 - 05:33 PM

It's a good ship with a nice design, but the colour scheme doesn't appeals me...And can you please tell me what ''flushed deck'' means??

#7 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

FreeDictionary.com definies "Flush-deck" as:

Any continuous, unbroken deck from stem to stern.

#8 ghoulrealm

ghoulrealm

Member: 825

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:56 PM

I love the design and the color scheme! *y*
I do think cloth sails would look nicer though, perhaps even official TLC blue striped sails.
The paper is ok if you dont have the material.

#9 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:41 AM

View PostMister Phes, on Sep 6 2006, 11:10 AM, said:

Posted Image

Mr Legeaux I see you've used the Flybo hull, well done!  I've got 2 of these and haven't done anything with them as yet. I was thinking about making small vessels with them because as far as I know there is no gray middle hull section therefore forcing me to create my own custom mid section.

One minor nitpick though...  The mid section appears to be a different shade of gray than the bow and stern or is that just how it looks in pictures?  If not I assume its due of piece limitation but I wouldn't be critiquing if I didn't point it out!

See above where I said "...a painted white centre section (which I happened to have spare). It’s not a perfect colour match with the dark grey hull by any means, but I think it looks okay, particularly in this application."

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 6 2006, 12:50 PM, said:

Ah yes, fine detail you've added there but  hey haven't got a close up picture!

I shall have to attend to that!

View PostAaron Morse, on Sep 6 2006, 04:21 AM, said:

Ritchie I'm some glad you joined us here at eurobricks.  I always enjoyed your designs at that other site but there was very little activity other there, I usually  end up borrowing design elements from your ships.

Aaron

BTW did you recently show a ship with a MOC anchor? if so could you post a pic again?  thanks

I did - the brig Seatop uses brick built anchors... actually anchors borrowed from my frigate Misérable. I don't have a particularly good pic handy (and my camera batteries were flat).

Posted Image

The anchor uses 2x1x3 inverted slopes anchored into a 2x2 technic brick with two holes, and 2x2 'L' plates to the based of those slopes.

The batteries are on charge now, I'll take a clearer pic asap.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#10 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 07 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 7 2006, 02:41 AM, said:

Aaron

I did - the brig Seatop uses brick built anchors... actually anchors borrowed from my frigate Misérable. I don't have a particularly good pic handy (and my camera batteries were flat).

Posted Image

The anchor uses 2x1x3 inverted slopes anchored into a 2x2 technic brick with two holes, and 2x2 'L' plates to the based of those slopes.

...which I've now done:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

Hope these are helpful.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#11 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!

Member: 851

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:04 PM

Hey! A custom anchor! I never seen those before! Brilliant, do I see two anchors there?

#12 Aaron Morse

Aaron Morse
  • I was the Master

Posted 07 September 2006 - 08:45 PM

Thankyou! I plan to steal..er...take...borrow some elements from that. very helpful!  Also like that sailor in black vest with blue sleeves, got any closeups? or what middle section is that from? And that fella with the green headwrap looks pretty nifty too, I priced out a green cap on BL and oh boy! I ordered some other colors instead.

Aaron

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 7 2006, 02:06 PM, said:

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 7 2006, 02:41 AM, said:

Aaron

Posted Image

...which I've now done:

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

Hope these are helpful.

�The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate.�

Bern Williams

#13 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:01 AM

View PostAaron Morse, on Sep 7 2006, 08:45 PM, said:

Thankyou! I plan to steal..er...take...borrow some elements from that. very helpful!  Also like that sailor in black vest with blue sleeves, got any closeups? or what middle section is that from? And that fella with the green headwrap looks pretty nifty too, I priced out a green cap on BL and oh boy! I ordered some other colors instead.

Aaron

"Borrow" away - it is a pirates forum after all.

The black vest/blue sleeves torso is from the 1979 vintage Snack Bar or Bus Station (was in both of those, at least). The green rag hat isn't one of those expensive BL ones - it was surgically removed from a 4+ pirates fig.
Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#14 Aaron Morse

Aaron Morse
  • I was the Master

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:45 PM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 8 2006, 04:01 AM, said:

View PostAaron Morse, on Sep 7 2006, 08:45 PM, said:

Aaron

The black vest/blue sleeves torso is from the 1979 vintage Snack Bar or Bus Station (was in both of those, at least). The green rag hat isn't one of those expensive BL ones - it was surgically removed from a 4+ pirates fig.

Oh! Surgically removed...cool.  Looks good too.  I might have to send a pirate to the orlop deck to visit the surgeon.

Aaron

Bern Williams

#15 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 8 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

Mr Legeaux could you explain how one surgically removes soemthing from a 4+ pirates maxi-figure?

#16 Captain Ironhook

Captain Ironhook

Member: 727

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:30 AM

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 7 2006, 10:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

Tell me why would you go to such efforts if you could just use a Lego anchor from a ship set.
Do you consider these anchors built of bricks to be superior to that of what the Lego Factory issued in pirate sets?
LEGO!

#17 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose

Member: 822

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

View PostCaptain Ironhook, on Sep 29 2006, 06:30 AM, said:

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 7 2006, 10:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

Tell me why would you go to such efforts if you could just use a Lego anchor from a ship set.
Do you consider these anchors built of bricks to be superior to that of what the Lego Factory issued in pirate sets?

I think its because of the size.
Lego anchors are to small for large ships.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#18 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

We must remember that this thread is supposed to be about The Supply Tender 'Ratsée', not of custom anchors.  However, like many other custom asepcts like custom cannons, perhaps custom anchors could also benefit from their own thread - if anyone is interested in heading down that path.

Meanhile we get back to the Ratsée whom doesn't appear to have a custom anchor...

Posted Image

#19 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:43 PM

custom masts...custom anchors...WOW!

well...about cannons...why that ship hasn't cannons?

and i have seen in that photos a pirate with green bandana...is the first time i have seen a green bandana...can somebody tell me where is that bandana from? i guess is not of pirates theme...and about the face with browneyes and stupid smile...that bring me memories of...6596 Wave Master of LEGO city
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#20 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

Captain Roger, I believe the the explaination lies here:

View PostLegeaux, on Sep 8 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

The green rag hat isn't one of those expensive BL ones - it was surgically removed from a 4+ pirates fig.

But I still haven't got an explainatoin as to how one surgically removes soemthing from a 4+ pirates maxi-figure?  Is it a secret  or was may question missed the first time round?

#21 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog

Member: 376

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

in any case +4 pirates have huge heads...and that green hat is of the same size to minifig head
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#22 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

The only green one of these came in 6071 Forestmen's Crossing, so either he's lying or the maxi-figure heads aren't that much bigger!    :-D

#23 Legeaux

Legeaux

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

No secrets, no lies. The full story is in this thread:

Expanding the range of pirate headgear

Cheers

Richie Dulin
CO Legeaux

#24 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 29 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

Captain Roger, I believe this answers your quandry in regards to the head size...

View PostLegeaux, on Aug 17 2006, 05:44 PM, said:

I broke the figures apart at the hips (twisted the legs sideways) - this also seperates the head from the torso, then clamped the head in a vice and hacksawed the head in half. Easy so far.

Then, carefully (more or less) with a craft knife, I cut and prised the remnants of the head away from the hat. I put a few scratches on the hats in the process.

The maxifigs are very securely assembled - the heads secured to the hips inside the torso, and the heads are open topped with the headgear secured inside and out to the heads.

It took me about ten minutes work with the knife for each hat, though I think I could do better or quicker (or possibly both) now. I only had one minor cut in the process.

The rag hats will probably be a little more difficult, being smaller, and I think more delicate, but I intend to have a go at them on the weekend and will report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links