legomania1993

Plastic Coating Peeling of 9V Train Wires

Hey all, started sorting through my Legos, etc, and noticed that the Electric Train Track Contacts have the plastic coating on the wires peeling off, causing the multiple threads of wire to be in contact with the other wire, causing a short in the layout. http://peeron.com/inv/parts/5306a

Is there a way to take this apart and attach different wires? I'm not sure if there is a way to take it apart without causing excessive damage.

Thanks

post-20853-13180888616.jpg

post-20853-131808890803.jpg

and noticed that the Electric Train Track Contacts have the plastic coating on the wires peeling off,

Is there a way to take this apart and attach different wires? I'm not sure if there is a way to take it apart without causing excessive damage.

Thanks

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it looks more like the wires have been pulled whilst the connector was attached to something and the wires have stretched, the plastic covering would not stretch at the same rate as the cables and this has exposed the wires, I don't think the plastic has peeled off.

I've never tried but you could try and split the plastic connector in half, horizonally, I think it has a join? although it was likely glued together, you have nothing to loose, alternatively some electrical tape wrapped around each half of the cable should prevent it shorting out, but I think it's days are numbered!

Paul

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it looks more like the wires have been pulled whilst the connector was attached to something and the wires have stretched, the plastic covering would not stretch at the same rate as the cables and this has exposed the wires, I don't think the plastic has peeled off.

I've never tried but you could try and split the plastic connector in half, horizonally, I think it has a join? although it was likely glued together, you have nothing to loose, alternatively some electrical tape wrapped around each half of the cable should prevent it shorting out, but I think it's days are numbered!

Paul

I think its a combination, as the plastic coating is actually flaking off, and is cracked all along the cord. I'm still not exactly sure how to open it though.

Edited by legomania1993

I know it's possible to open the black connector with a good thin flat screwdriver under the tabs and pry it open, i've never opened a grey track connector to be able to say though. The cable are easy to join once you get inside, they just push down onto the metal clips without needing to solder or anything.

I think its a combination, as the plastic coating is actually flaking off, and is cracked all along the cord. I'm still not exactly sure how to open it though.

It's more likely it was pulled, exposing the wires to some extent, then usage caused the exposed wires near each other to arc or heat up enough to cause the plastic to get brittle.