Useing and finding other resources to find sets

5 replies to this topic  – Started by legomonk , Oct 07 2011 04:55 PM

#1 legomonk

legomonk

Member: 20122

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

When I started collecting again I had an idea. Well more like I stole and idea for a Lego chair. I was looking at bulk Lego online. Online resources like “pick a brick,” Ebay and Bricklink that I found had a lot to choose from. I all so explored other resources like buying starter sets from Wal-Mart or toy-r-expensive aka toys-r-us. I found two resources that paid off well for my trouble. One was Craigslist the other was local thrift shops.

Craigslist seems like a weird one but it was easy I placed and add in the buy and items wanted section. I left the add vague on price and said I would offer fair prices for loose pieces and sets. I got a call that night from some older people with the mother load of offers. I paid 50$ for BSB 6285 forbidden island 6270 to name a few pirate sets not including 5 smaller sets in the same field plus 2 large castles 2 woodsmen sets several city sets and a slew of technics.  All 100% complete.  All of these sets are older and in pretty good shape what wasn’t 100% I was able to get pieces off Bricklink for less than 10$ to fix completely. The BSB was good score in the least. You should not over look this resource I have since gotten loot island 6241 for 10$ off other adds. It works so try it and if you could report your results.

My next resource I used was thrift stores. I found local charitable thrift stores that get donations and resale them it’s been a good resource for loose and random parts for very cheap. I have gotten some nice minifigs off this and a lot of bricks. It’s nothing amazing but worth sometime.

If anyone else has stories of other resources or reports on using these please share. Let’s get those bricks out of the hands of the savages that will just abuse them and into our building hands lol

Ps. still have not built the chair
Posted Image

the answer to your question is yes I have a Lego tattoo. Minifig count is at 768!

#2 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:19 PM

I placed an advertisement on a smaller website which got me some nice sets at "decent" prices, not as good deals as yours though.
I got a Skull's Eye Schooner for 100 Euro that way, I think it's a fair price, considering it was is excellent condition, it even included the box. :pir-cry_happy:

#3 legomonk

legomonk

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

I have noticed a lot of views but not much responses, please if anyone has other means or horror/victory stories of using online resources or other resources please submit them.

Edited by legomonk, 21 October 2011 - 04:28 PM.

Posted Image

the answer to your question is yes I have a Lego tattoo. Minifig count is at 768!

#4 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

Member: 20480

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

I see that you have mentioned Bricklink and I think that it is a great place, if not the best, to find certain pieces or collecting minifigures. I have purchased Lego from garage asles before, but I have never seen any large Pirate sets :pirate_sad2:

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf

View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

#5 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

View Postlegomonk, on 20 October 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

seen a lot of views but not much responses please if anyone has other means or horror/victory stories of using online resources or other resources please submit
Could you please improve your spelling legomonk? Some more capitalization and punctuation would be nice.
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#6 legomonk

legomonk

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

I fixed my last post.

Edited by legomonk, 21 October 2011 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links