• Poor

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Name: 10220 Volkswagen T1 Camper Van

Theme: Exclusives

Year: 2011

Piece Count: 1332

Minifigs: 0

Price: $129.99 CAD

Those of us who are of a certain age remember the ubiquitous VW Bus and Beetle on the roads of North America. Lego recently released a model of the 1962 VW camper. This is a review of the model.

THE BOX:

It's a pretty big box.

picture_14712.jpg

picture_14714.jpg

picture_14715.jpg

INSIDE THE BOX:

Inside the box contains 15 plastic bags of parts, 2 small sticker sheets and 2 instruction booklets. The stickers and booklets are protected from bending and crushing by a piece of cardboard.

picture_14716.jpg

picture_14721.jpg

THE BUILD:

There are 115 steps to complete this model.

picture_14724.jpg

Start off with the air cooled engine.

picture_14728.jpg

picture_14729.jpg

picture_14730.jpg

picture_14731.jpg

picture_14732.jpg

I think it took me over 4 hours over an evening and morning to finish the model.

PARTS:

Interesting parts. Fabric pieces, faucet, and clear headlight bricks.

picture_14725.jpg

picture_14726.jpg

Extra pieces.

picture_14733.jpg

FINISHED MODEL:

picture_14734.jpg

picture_14735.jpg

picture_14736.jpg

picture_14737.jpg

FEATURES:

Doors that open and close like the rear engine door.

picture_14739.jpg

Pop up roof.

picture_14753.jpg

Shiny VW logo.

picture_14755.jpg

INTERIOR:

Fold up dinner table.

picture_14742.jpg

Rear bench converts to bed.

picture_14749.jpg

Sink.

picture_14750.jpg

Detailed dash and controls.

picture_14743.jpg

1960s hippy themes:

Make Lego models, not war.

picture_14741.jpg

Lava lamp.

picture_14746.jpg

Questionable green plant.

picture_14747.jpg

SUMMARY:

Playability: 9/10

Design: 9/10

Price: 8/10 (10 cents CAD/piece)

Parts: 7/10

Mini-figures: 0/10

Overall: 9/10

Lego has done a good job with the camper van in my opinion. The build was fun and enjoyable. Unlike the VW Beetle model, Lego went with the studless look for the van. There are many nice and work features. This is a good set for any VW air-cooled fans.

Lets go camping with our Fabuland friends.

picture_14758.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed!

Not a bad set at all. This one is on my wants list though I doubt I'll get it. I do like those trans-clear "washer" bricks. :wub:

Thank you! I was hoping to see something like this these days. :) I think you did a really good job with your photos.However a shot of the booklet page with all the pieces would be really nice to have in addition to the list from the box. Thanks once again! :thumbup:

Very nice review and great photo's.

I picked up my set this morning, but did not start the build yet. Just happy to have this in my possession...

What is your opinion on the roof construction ? I saw a comment on the Lego shop where a post/review was critical of the roof...

Fantastic! I really like this set a lot, and the pictures really do do it justice :thumbup:

Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks 'dr-spock' for this review, interesting and clever design too.....oh, 1x1 stud on the side clear bricks eh ? :grin:

Cute, little features.....lava lamp, sink and whacky-weed ? :laugh: (it's a tomato plant dude ! :laugh: )

I wouldn't buy one except for my dad as he did once own a Kombi van and is a VW nut ! :laugh:

questionable green plant :laugh:

Thanks for this review.

Thanks for the review. :classic:

I have to say, nice as I thought this set was from having seen all the photos emerging, it wasn't really one I wanted... Until I spent a while today examining it in the window of the Lego shop in Liverpool, and I have to say, I think I've fallen in love with it. It's gorgeous! :blush:

Thanks for the review!

I don't think I'll get this set, it's a great model (especially the interior) but there's so many others on the list.

"Questionable green plant." :laugh:

Edited by Skipper

Great review and great photos! :thumbup:

Just one suggestion with the photos (though I don't think anyone does this) - I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of photos with a ruler to give a scale of how big the box/model are...

Wow. *oh2*

I know many will probably want to kill me for what I'm going to say, but when the first pics of this model were shown, I wasn't drooling for it. But now... Wow... I'm just impressed at the great amount of detail this set has. I would love to buy one, but I'll probably won't be able to do so.

Thanks for the review, and I hope you enjoy the set!

Great review, and a very impressive set... are those 1x4 clear tiles I spot? (No they're the window pieces.)

It's amazing how much detail they've put into this van, and it's not badly priced either.

Edited by SilentMode

As some others have said; I wasn't sure about buying this set, but now that I see the details; WOW! Really nicely done! Thanks for the great review! The questionable plant is a really funny addition! :laugh:

I was blown away by the level of detail packed into this set when I built it this past week. Just stunned.

I'm not even a VW fan and I would recommend this set to ANYONE. It's fantastic!

Great review and great photos! :thumbup:

Just one suggestion with the photos (though I don't think anyone does this) - I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of photos with a ruler to give a scale of how big the box/model are...

There are specs on the box for overall size of the model. IIRC, the camper is almost a foot long. Builds up into a very impressive model.

Wow - what a set. Great review mate, great pictures. :sweet:

I can truly see this becoming a classic in the years to come, if I get enough money for my birthday, I'm gonna be at the Lego shop to get this set so darn fast.. always liked the classic VW campers, and this is probably the closest I'll come to owning one!! :tongue:

Thanks for the great review, dr_spock!

This is an awesome set, no doubt! I really want this one and was close to order it the other day but the high shipping cost from S@H prevented me. I will wait some time and see if I'll be able to get it for a better price somewhere else, but if I can't I guess I'll just have to pay up. Because I really don't want to miss out on this set :wub_drool:

It is the best Lego set for sure in a long time. I will buy it too. Nevertheless it has some faults. The door structure is too simple and looks odd, there are better ways of doing this. Also the overhang at the rear is off scale compared to a real t1. Besides that is a very nice model.

My co-worker...who's currently sitting next to me and drooling, has been bugging me to ask you guys if there's a possibility of converting it to a T2 version? He's got one parked outside our office (i'm currently looking at it through the window lol) Hmmm..interesting proposal and huge possibility I might say...as mine is currently pre-ordered at the local shop can't wait to find out. However I'm more interested in converting it to a T1 pickup, once I got another one. Yep I'm planning to get two of this, one stock one modified! :laugh:

Thank you, everyone for your kind comments.

What is your opinion on the roof construction ? I saw a comment on the Lego shop where a post/review was critical of the roof...

I think the roof construction is fine.

Can't wait to see it in person.

There is one on display at the LEGO Store in Fairview Mall.

Questionable green plant? What are you implying? :look::tongue:

I didn't inhale. :laugh:

My co-worker...who's currently sitting next to me and drooling, has been bugging me to ask you guys if there's a possibility of converting it to a T2 version? He's got one parked outside our office (i'm currently looking at it through the window lol) Hmmm..interesting proposal and huge possibility I might say...as mine is currently pre-ordered at the local shop can't wait to find out. However I'm more interested in converting it to a T1 pickup, once I got another one. Yep I'm planning to get two of this, one stock one modified! :laugh:

That could be some interesting MOD possibilities.

Here a T2:

800px-1973-1980_Volkswagen_Kombi_%28T2%29_van_01.jpg

Compared to the T1:

Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg

Some more grills and clear panels may be required.

The new series 7 hippie is going to go so well with this set. :laugh:

Sure...in a "Land of the Giants" kind of way. :laugh:

Hi there - I don't want to read the review (yet) as I feel it spoils a bit of the fun in building the set, and thus I may have missed this if you've already written it - in that case I apologize for asking unnecessary questions. But does anybody have a chance to measure the box? I'm planning to pick up this and the Winter Village Post Office when I'm going to London in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to know if there's any chance that they'll fit in my backpack...