MOC: WW2 airfield ground equipment

13 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Member: 309

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

Posted Image
I'll be attending the Great Western LEGO show in Swindon next weekend, and decided to display some of my minifig scale aircraft models. Just having a few aircraft models on a table might be fun, but I figured it will be more interesting if I'd add some vehicles and ground crew too, so in the last weeks I've building a few new vehicles.

The first is the last I built: an RAF Matador Refueling truck. This will accompany my Mosquito bomber.
Posted Image
RAF Matador Refueler (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Number two and three are a US Army Air Force GMC tanker truck and my own version of the ubiquitous Jeep, seen here with the ground crew. I've had the Jeep for a while, but never made a few changes recently. The truck is a rebuild of a model I built more than two years ago, but took apart, with a few minor improvements. Both vehicles are old dark grey.  
Posted Image
USAAF vehicles and ground crew by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Here they are with my P-61B Black Widow, which I completed a few weeks ago.
Posted Image
P-61 Black Widow with air- and ground crew by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The fourth vehicle is probably the most unusual. It's a German Kettenkraftrad. It was originally developed as an air-transportable artillery tractor, but was actually used for all kinds of other roles. For instance, it was used for towing aircraft. I built it for my Heinkel He-219.
Posted Image
Kettenkraftrad (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I haven't made a picture of the whole lot together yet. I'll also be bringing US Navy aircraft (examples I built for Ed Diment's USS intrepid), but you're going to have to come to Swindon to see those!

Cheers,
Ralph

Edited by Rufus, 09 October 2011 - 11:21 AM.
Indexed

For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#2 buddy

buddy

Member: 14028

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:38 PM

Excellent MOCs, they all are very realistic and look like the real things. I look foward to seeing these in real life at the GWLS next weekend.  :thumbup:  
Extremely well done.  :classic:

~buddy~

Edited by buddy, 25 September 2011 - 08:39 PM.

#3 Nightshroud99

Nightshroud99

Member: 7668

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

Wow just wow, the fuel truck is amazing, and how you built the german scout vehicle is ver clever.  :blush:
My YouTube Channel! 20,000 subscribers and growing! I review LEGO!
http://www.youtube.c...r/Nightshroud99

#4 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:40 PM

AWESOME vehicles, especially the RAF fuel truck.....oh, stuff it they are all AWESOME !
Might I suggest building a simple structure with a bell out front as a ready area with pilots playing cards or reading or even drinking tea while waiting for the bell to ring to scramble to their planes. :wink:
Brick On Fly On Fight On 'Ralph_S' ! :grin:

#5 treeboy

treeboy

Member: 18086

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:22 AM

Love the Kettenkraftrad reminds me of Private Ryan.
Posted Image

Edited by treeboy, 28 September 2011 - 02:32 AM.

"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

#6 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't remember a Kettenkraftrad being in Saving Private Ryan, but it's not unlikely.

Lightningtiger, thank you for the suggestion. I'm not going to be building any buildings for the show -my suitcase will be quite full/heavy already and there are only a few days left before I fly out, but I'll definitely look into adding some buildings if I do use elements of this for WW2 diorama.

Cheers,
Ralph

#7 Mr. Elijah Timms

Mr. Elijah Timms

Member: 9973

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Outstanding-- love the eye for detail, and the accuracy.  We know we'll never get these from TLG itself, but love the level of modeling accuracy you've been able to achieve here.  Top shelf stuff!

EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED I MEAN AWESOME!!!

#8 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:38 PM

View PostMr. Elijah Timms, on 26 September 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

Outstanding-- love the eye for detail, and the accuracy.  We know we'll never get these from TLG itself, but love the level of modeling accuracy you've been able to achieve here.  Top shelf stuff!
Thank you. It's the little details that makes these fun, IMO. I'm glad you like them.

Cheers,
Ralph

#9 Legostein

Legostein

• I'm a million!

Member: 1505

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hello!

Those vehicles are again bristling with stunning techniques, Ralph! :classic: There are many things to discover, for example the inventive mudguards of the first trcuk and the brick-built ladder to its roof. Another thing that I like is a very simple effect: The 2x2 plates within the wheels. I can't explain it, but it simply looks right. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#10 Ratshot

Ratshot

• Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:01 AM

This looks really good, you should buy some Brickarms weapons and helmets. They would definatley improve your figs.

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#11 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:55 AM

Awesome job, as always Ralph. I really think these awesome models are what is to expect coming from you, but I really like your Kettenkraftrad. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle as small as that made by you. I like how it turned out. :thumbup:

#12 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:38 PM

View PostLegostein, on 27 September 2011 - 11:01 PM, said:

Hello!

Those vehicles are again bristling with stunning techniques, Ralph! :classic: There are many things to discover, for example the inventive mudguards of the first trcuk and the brick-built ladder to its roof. Another thing that I like is a very simple effect: The 2x2 plates within the wheels. I can't explain it, but it simply looks right. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Thanks for your very nice comments, Christopher. the main reason for the 2x2 round plates is that I wanted the wheel hubs to be dark grey as well. As far as I know, LEGO have never made the standard wheel for these tyres in old dark grey, only spoked ones. This meant I had to improvise. Using minifig seats for mudguards isn't something I invented, but I have used it on other trucks as well and it seemed a suitable solution for the mudguards on the matador as well. Standard LEGO ladders are too bulky to go on the tank, which is why I went for the solution with tiles. It's probably not a 'legal' connection, though. I am glad you like the look.  

View PostRatshot, on 28 September 2011 - 03:01 AM, said:

This looks really good, you should buy some Brickarms weapons and helmets. They would definatley improve your figs.
Thank you. I know that Brickarms are high-quality products. I won a contest a few years ago and received a Brickarms pack as the prize. However, they're not really for me. I might use custom stickers, but I prefer purist solutions. I've got plenty of LEGO pistols and rifles, but the groundcrews usually weren't actually armed, which is why mine aren't either. They may have had personal weapons, but normally wouldn't drag them around when servicing airplanes. I'm probably going to buy some LEGO black army helmets (they are in some ninjago sets) for the 'Germans'. They'll have to do.

View Postprateek, on 28 September 2011 - 03:55 AM, said:

Awesome job, as always Ralph. I really think these awesome models are what is to expect coming from you, but I really like your Kettenkraftrad. I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle as small as that made by you. I like how it turned out. :thumbup:
Thank you. I had a little look on brickshelf, mocpages and flickr to see what other builders had done and  there are some nice examples of the Kettenkraftrad around, but they were all a bit big for my tastes. My airplanes are roughly 1/43 and I'd like to keep my vehicles as close to that scale as I can, making the Kettenkraftrad only about nine studs long.

Cheers,
Ralph

#13 Hollander

Hollander

Member: 17672

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

View PostRalph_S, on 26 September 2011 - 05:58 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't remember a Kettenkraftrad being in Saving Private Ryan, but it's not unlikely.

Lightningtiger, thank you for the suggestion. I'm not going to be building any buildings for the show -my suitcase will be quite full/heavy already and there are only a few days left before I fly out, but I'll definitely look into adding some buildings if I do use elements of this for WW2 diorama.

Cheers,
Ralph

Een mooi stukje werk! (A nice piece of work!)

Especially the kettenrad.  :thumbup:

#14 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

View PostHollander, on 30 September 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

Een mooi stukje werk! (A nice piece of work!)

Especially the kettenrad.  :thumbup:
Dank je (Thanks). The Kettenkrad is a weird little thing, but was fun to build. Driving it around is fun too. It works surprisingly well on carpet.

Cheers,
Ralph

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users