Sign in to follow this  
Si-MOCs

Hallgrímskirkja Church

indexed.gif B-M-1D

6159622203_5e8c2e07f9_z.jpg

The largest church in Iceland, Hallgrímskirkja was designed in an expressionist style was designed it to resemble the basalt lava flows of Iceland's landscape. At 74.5 metres it is the tallest structure in Reykjavík.

This was a bit of a challenge to build - as the entire thing is actually built on a 45 degree angle so that I can replicate the iconic 'pillars'.

After a few attempts I was fairly happy with it - though it's structurally not as sound as it may look.

Detailed view of back.

6160132386_4e96ce0760_z.jpg

More of an overhead to see the rear

6159591305_cd55067235_z.jpg

--

I took some creative license - In real life it's much taller and there is a Viking Statue is in front of Hallgrímskirkja Church - but I like Hoplites better ;)

I actually left my AWB set from something, so it turned out bluish by accident:

6159596257_152ac8c8f8_z.jpg

--

Wiki page on the church

--

More on Flickr

Comments/criticisms always welcome. Enjoy!

Impressive designing there 'SI-mocs', I can see the point you saying about 45 degrees eh ? :wink:

The statue out front is also well done......excellent work and Brick On......at 45 degrees ! :wink:

Impressive designing there 'SI-mocs', I can see the point you saying about 45 degrees eh ? :wink:

The statue out front is also well done......excellent work and Brick On......at 45 degrees ! :wink:

eh?

I didn't reallize you were Canadian We put the EH in EH-FOL :iamded_lol:

I found out the trick is having lots of those 3x3 side pieces... without it I don't know how to do it without just floating all the bricks on a few studs.

Having been to reykjavik several times I can safely say that it does resemble the original fairly well :)

Wow! Thanks.

That's probably the best complement I could get.

:excited:

Thanks all!

Oooo, I like cool Geometry experiments! I like blogging them even more. Thanks for sharing this awesome experience and cool final product. Always good to see such creativity. You really always impress with your creations. :sweet::thumbup:

Slick. Lots of little cool things about this MOC.

Oooo, I like cool Geometry experiments! I like blogging them even more. Thanks for sharing this awesome experience and cool final product. Always good to see such creativity. You really always impress with your creations. :sweet::thumbup:

:blush:

aww shucks, thanks Hinckley.

That's puts quite the feather in my cap :)

Glad you liked it!

Slick. Lots of little cool things about this MOC.

And no greeble! shocking eh?

This MOC is outstanding!

It seems easy to build but on a second look I realize how this build is complex and neat! :wub:

Very nice work!

Thanks! It took quite a few experiments to get it to work right especially squaring up the front of the tower.