Jump to content


Hero Factory 2012


  • Please log in to reply
3637 replies to this topic

#2376 Zarkan

Zarkan

  • Greviously Renamed Gungan


    Posts: 2426
    Joined: 08-December 05
    Member: 569
    Country: USA

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostDorek, on 16 March 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

I don't see it as replacing BIONICLE (HF clearly did that) so much as they're just trying to apply techniques that they saw were successful to a different line and build something new. And, clearly, it worked.

Perhaps, but then why did they go in such a different direction with Hero Factory? Everyone realizes by now that TLC couldn't replicate Bionicle, but at the same time the way Hero Factory has been marketed is so vastly different from its predecessor that I can't say it's a complete replacement. What I think happened is that TLC realized that, especially by the time Bionicle was nearing its end, they were essentially courting two markets. The kids who liked to play with constraction figures were not the same as the kids who liked to play with regular lego sets: one was purely interested in playbility, and the other was more drawn to the creative aspects of lego. Thus, TLC split the core components of Bionicle between it's direct sucessor (Hero Factory) and its spiritual sucessor (Ninjago), and built on both themes from there.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image


#2377 Masta' Blasta'

Masta' Blasta'

    Posts: 265
    Joined: 03-September 11
    Member: 20204

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

View Postoptimus99, on 16 March 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

how were you guys putting stuff in the spoilers on page 155.

By adding spoiler tags. To do so, just add in the bold text tags and switch the letter b on both of the tags with the word 'spoiler'. Hopefully that's understandable, as it's the simplest way I can word it.  :wink:

Warning: Fluent in Randomness


#2378 Omicron Squad Leader

Omicron Squad Leader

    Posts: 317
    Joined: 16-January 11
    Member: 15457
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostZarkan, on 16 March 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Thus, TLC split the core components of Bionicle between it's direct sucessor (Hero Factory) and its spiritual sucessor (Ninjago), and built on both themes from there.
I agree with this last statement.
Posted Image
Click the picture above to read my review of LEGO Hero Factory set 2236 Scorpio!

#2379 vexorian

vexorian

    Posts: 1750
    Joined: 26-December 09
    Member: 8754
    Country: Bolivia

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

View PostZarkan, on 16 March 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Perhaps, but then why did they go in such a different direction with Hero Factory? Everyone realizes by now that TLC couldn't replicate Bionicle, but at the same time the way Hero Factory has been marketed is so vastly different from its predecessor that I can't say it's a complete replacement. What I think happened is that TLC realized that, especially by the time Bionicle was nearing its end, they were essentially courting two markets. The kids who liked to play with constraction figures were not the same as the kids who liked to play with regular lego sets: one was purely interested in playbility, and the other was more drawn to the creative aspects of lego. Thus, TLC split the core components of Bionicle between it's direct sucessor (Hero Factory) and its spiritual sucessor (Ninjago), and built on both themes from there.
Because they wanted to do different things as opposed as just rebrading Bionicle?

#2380 Dorek

Dorek

    Posts: 1195
    Joined: 10-February 09
    Member: 5250

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

I think looking at it in terms of sheer succession is kind of limiting. They took stuff that worked and stuff that didn't and applied it in different areas. That's marketing 101 right there. Hero Factory is obviously meant to be more of a spiritual successor because it utilizes a similar building system, is their main focus constraction line, and is branded "from the makers of BIONICLE", but again, that's just the draw. Ninjago just took some of the successful portions of BIONICLE because one of the line developers had some good ideas as to what would work and what wouldn't.

#2381 MakutaDreadscythe

MakutaDreadscythe

    Posts: 314
    Joined: 15-December 11
    Member: 23182
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostAanchir, on 16 March 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

To be fair, it might not be as big a deal as all that, considering that it's possible his victims could be revived if their Hero Cores were returned to them. Granted, he'd still have the same level of dark power as some soul-stealing fantasy villains, but that possibility might be explored as a way of reducing the lasting impact of his crimes.

When you think of it as stealing a physical representation of his victims' souls rather than dismembering them and removing their innards, while he's still terrifying, some of the violent undertones are reduced. But of course some people might prefer the more violent interpretation. I'm just curious how it might be explored in the story, since so far Hero Factory has avoided "death" in most of its media and even the BIONICLE movies approached death more often as noble self-sacrifice than as characters just being one more notch on the weapon, so to speak. Of course, Hero Factory is not constrained by its previously-established tone, and if TLG wants to push the envelope a bit there's nobody really stopping them.

I think as it was noted in the second episode the hero in question would have to have a transplant as they couldn't give back the hero core (hence the body would still be active, but would have a different personality and character).
Posted Image
Furno approves Pepsi Max. Buy it now.

#2382 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7412
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostMakutaDreadscythe, on 18 March 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

I think as it was noted in the second episode the hero in question would have to have a transplant as they couldn't give back the hero core (hence the body would still be active, but would have a different personality and character).
But that was if the Hero Core was drained of power, which I'd assume would be different than removing a fully-charged Hero Core and re-inserting it.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#2383 xxlrocka

xxlrocka

    Posts: 829
    Joined: 26-September 11
    Member: 20659
    Country: England, UK

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

2 different subjects are going on....1 about core hunter and what happens to a hero if he removes their core, and 1 about what bionicle's replacement is. I don't really approve these. Leave that to whoever started them.
In Heroica I am:  
Posted Image
Drake Flamerobe, http://www.eurobrick...50#entry1441605 for stats.

#2384 Phantoka_Chirox

Phantoka_Chirox

    Posts: 415
    Joined: 06-January 08
    Member: 2410

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Postxxlrocka, on 19 March 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

2 different subjects are going on....1 about core hunter and what happens to a hero if he removes their core, and 1 about what bionicle's replacement is. I don't really approve these. Leave that to whoever started them.

Not everything needs its own different topics. Unless it's OFF-TOPIC (Not related to Hero Factory), everything about Hero Factory should be discussed here.

#2385 xxlrocka

xxlrocka

    Posts: 829
    Joined: 26-September 11
    Member: 20659
    Country: England, UK

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostPhantoka_Chirox, on 19 March 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Not everything needs its own different topics. Unless it's OFF-TOPIC (Not related to Hero Factory), everything about Hero Factory should be discussed here.

Woah! I'm not saying everything needs its own different topics, I'm trying to say that the fact that there is 2 subjects going on is not usual.
In Heroica I am:  
Posted Image
Drake Flamerobe, http://www.eurobrick...50#entry1441605 for stats.

#2386 Phantoka_Chirox

Phantoka_Chirox

    Posts: 415
    Joined: 06-January 08
    Member: 2410

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

View Postxxlrocka, on 19 March 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Woah! I'm not saying everything needs its own different topics, I'm trying to say that the fact that there is 2 subjects going on is not usual.

And now there's three :)
Besides, what else are we going to talk about? What if one guy wants to speak about core hunter and the other guy wants to speak about HF not being BIONICLE's direct replacement. Make two different topics? Won't that clog the server or something?

Edited by Phantoka_Chirox, 20 March 2012 - 02:56 PM.


#2387 xxlrocka

xxlrocka

    Posts: 829
    Joined: 26-September 11
    Member: 20659
    Country: England, UK

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

View PostPhantoka_Chirox, on 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

And now there's three :)
Besides, what else are we going to talk about? What if one guy wants to speak about core hunter and the other guy wants to speak about HF not being BIONICLE's direct replacement. Make two different topics? Won't that clog the server or something?

....uhhhh....
In Heroica I am:  
Posted Image
Drake Flamerobe, http://www.eurobrick...50#entry1441605 for stats.

#2388 fabioman

fabioman

    Posts: 17
    Joined: 04-January 12
    Member: 23790

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:28 AM

wasnt this supposed to be a hf discussion and not some off topics discussion
Please forgive my bad grammar

#2389 Bfahome

Bfahome

  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency


    Posts: 1588
    Joined: 22-August 08
    Member: 3802
    Country: USA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

If people stopped talking about how we're not talking about Hero Factory then we might be able to talk about Hero Factory.

#2390 fabioman

fabioman

    Posts: 17
    Joined: 04-January 12
    Member: 23790

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostBfahome, on 21 March 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

If people stopped talking about how we're not talking about Hero Factory then we might be able to talk about Hero Factory.
yup I agree with you
Please forgive my bad grammar

#2391 Masta' Blasta'

Masta' Blasta'

    Posts: 265
    Joined: 03-September 11
    Member: 20204

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:50 AM

To get us back on the topic of HF...

In episode 1, I'm pretty sure I saw Witch Doctor leave twice. Is there another big villain in the prison or was it a mistake?

Warning: Fluent in Randomness


#2392 fabioman

fabioman

    Posts: 17
    Joined: 04-January 12
    Member: 23790

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:52 AM

View PostMasta, on 21 March 2012 - 03:50 AM, said:

To get us back on the topic of HF...

In episode 1, I'm pretty sure I saw Witch Doctor leave twice. Is there another big villain in the prison or was it a mistake?
dude remember that the animators sometimes use stock models Example: von ness in ordeal of fire
Please forgive my bad grammar

#2393 Brickthing

Brickthing

  • Mr. Perfect


    Posts: 3055
    Joined: 26-October 08
    Member: 4229
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

View Postfabioman, on 21 March 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

dude remember that the animators sometimes use stock models Example: von ness in ordeal of fire
Hi Fabioman,

I appreciate that English possibly isn't your first language, but please remember to use proper punctuation and keep your post language a bit more (but not too) formal. It just keeps the topics tidier and easier to read.  :classic:

Glad to see this topic put itself back on track again.  :thumbup:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines --------------- Index of helpful tutorials


#2394 fabioman

fabioman

    Posts: 17
    Joined: 04-January 12
    Member: 23790

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostBrickthing, on 21 March 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Hi Fabioman,

I appreciate that English possibly isn't your first language, but please remember to use proper punctuation and keep your post language a bit more (but not too) formal. It just keeps the topics tidier and easier to read.  :classic:

Glad to see this topic put itself back on track again.  :thumbup:
ok man no problem
Please forgive my bad grammar

#2395 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

  • Straight Up Cero!


    Posts: 2965
    Joined: 30-August 10
    Member: 12949
    Country: Canada

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

View Postfabioman, on 21 March 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

ok man no problem
:snicker:
Anyone else more interested in the sets than the show? :blush:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#2396 LewiMOC

LewiMOC

  • Raise ur Bonkle


    Posts: 334
    Joined: 05-January 12
    Member: 23845
    Country: England

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostCeroknight, on 21 March 2012 - 05:21 AM, said:

:snicker:
Anyone else more interested in the sets than the show? :blush:
Me! XD But the show is still a nice extra.

Posted Image

Click the bull to see my MOCs~

Beepity bop bap


#2397 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 7412
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

I like the show for providing the context for the sets. The sets are definitely works of art, but (for example) a story with just heroes and villains doesn't especially make sense without settings, civilians, etc. Hero Factory FM fulfills this same world-building function, although in a less visual medium.

I guess you could say I like them both equally, since both the sets and other media like the show serve as inspiration for me when I make Hero Factory MOCs.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#2398 DarkSurgeXL

DarkSurgeXL

    Posts: 153
    Joined: 17-February 12
    Member: 26567
    Country: Russia

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostAanchir, on 21 March 2012 - 01:21 PM, said:

I like the show for providing the context for the sets. The sets are definitely works of art, but (for example) a story with just heroes and villains doesn't especially make sense without settings, civilians, etc. Hero Factory FM fulfills this same world-building function, although in a less visual medium.

I guess you could say I like them both equally, since both the sets and other media like the show serve as inspiration for me when I make Hero Factory MOCs.
I agree with you. The 2012 line is if course a masterpiece (not even talking about the episode) but there are no lines made without a one silly mistake.
For example, I think Nex could be given a bigger role, than just a mechanic. He has always been my favorite hero, and now he is disgusting. The re-build of his 2.0 mask does not give more coolness, it makes him look miserable.The only one hero i appreciate in the summer wave is Bulk. He is fantastic, the cannon gives him his real role.
By the way, Stormer XL is going to be just a little taller than the other heros.

#2399 Shakar

Shakar

  • Out of the dark


    Posts: 2335
    Joined: 03-June 06
    Member: 799
    Country: Italy

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:17 PM


Well, I like HF mainly for the sets, just like I did for Bionicle and like I do for all Lego themes. I do enjoy the background the story gives however, and I like watching the animated episodes.

Speaking of sets, I noticed that, contrary to what I thought, Speeda Demon DOES have some back armour, in the shape of a silver Bulk 3.0 claw mount (the same exact piece used on Jawblade's back and on Demon himself's shoulders).

I personally really like Nex's helmet- it looked too elongated in the leaked pics we got back a few days before Christmas 2011, but seeing it on the Toyfair pics I realized how close it is to Nex's 2.0 helmet gear, even more so than Evo's new helmet.
In general, I appreciate Breakout Nex for reprising many things Nex 2.0 had introduced that were sadly dropped in Nex 3.0, like the white and the narrow shoulders (I like them for giving off a "geeky" vibe). And that chest printing is so lovely.

I think Stormer XL is going to be pretty tall, actually, mainly for 2 reasons:

1) The torso. He’s most likely going to use the big torso piece FL, Rocka XL, Scorpio and BP use.
2) The legs. The 13 euro heroes use these as upper legs and these as lower legs (which are slightly longer than the upper legs pieces). Consider that Stormer uses those longer pieces both for his upper and lower legs, which would already makes him slightly taller than the average 13 euro hero. But add all those dark bley friction joints (the ones in BP's arms and the Ultrabuild Super Heroes), and the legs end up being way longer.

Speaking of legs, I tried to replace the lower leg bones of my 13 euro heroes with the slightly shorter ones from Stormer 2.0 like Aanchir and others suggested. I must say, the models look MUCH better. Sadly, those bones in my collection are all used up in sets and MOCs/modded sets (well, the black ones at least- but I refuse to use other colours), but I'm definitely going to buy extra pieces off Pick A Brick in order to modify my heroes.

Whoops, I forgot to put the Bricklink links. I'm updating the post with them in a minute.

Edited by Shakar, 21 March 2012 - 05:20 PM.


#2400 Masta' Blasta'

Masta' Blasta'

    Posts: 265
    Joined: 03-September 11
    Member: 20204

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

View Postfabioman, on 21 March 2012 - 03:52 AM, said:

dude remember that the animators sometimes use stock models Example: von ness in ordeal of fire

I know that, but it wasn't spaced very far apart and seemed very odd considering. Von Ness isn't such a surprise as the heroes often sport the same armor as others and it is possible there is more than one hero that looks like him.

View PostShakar, on 21 March 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

1) The torso. He’s most likely going to use the big torso piece FL, Rocka XL, Scorpio and BP use.

I read a post by Front in one of these topics where he told us that Stormer's torso connects like Drilldozer's armor did. He also stated that it would be hard to use on little MOCs, so I assume he meant that it hooks to a torso of this size. Then again, he may have meant that the size is simply too gargantuan to fit on a small MOC.  :tongue:

Warning: Fluent in Randomness





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users