Marty

Lego Passenger Train Battery problem

I just got my first pf train (being a hardcore 9v fan) and from the beginning I noticed a major problem. The rechargeable batteries I've been using only last for about one minute and then the train slows to a stop. I checked the batteries and four of them are completetly drained and two are fully charged. The train works great when I stuff in a huge AA battery pack but it drains the AAA battery pack extremely fast. I am asking everyone if this usually happens with this train or is it something elese. I think it might be the rechargeable batteries and I have to run out and get new ones. I am completely out of regular AAA batteries so I can only work with the rechargeable ones. My only worry is that its something like the motor or IR that might be acting up.

Hey Marty, First off, Welcome to Eurobricks! As for your question, my best guess would be your rechargeable batteries. How old are they, how many charge cycles have you put them through, and are you mixing newer batteries with older ones, all of these are factors in rechargeable performance. Your motor and reciever are probably fine if they work well with regular batteries installed, and one more factor to consider is rechargeable batteries are usaully rated at about 1.2 volts or so, and regular batteries are rated at 1.5 so when you put rechargeables in the pack you lose about 1.8 volts right from the start. Hope this helps!

Are your AAA fully recharged each time? They maybe at their end of useable life.

I just got my first pf train (being a hardcore 9v fan) and from the beginning I noticed a major problem. The rechargeable batteries I've been using only last for about one minute and then the train slows to a stop. I checked the batteries and four of them are completetly drained and two are fully charged. The train works great when I stuff in a huge AA battery pack but it drains the AAA battery pack extremely fast. I am asking everyone if this usually happens with this train or is it something elese. I think it might be the rechargeable batteries and I have to run out and get new ones. I am completely out of regular AAA batteries so I can only work with the rechargeable ones. My only worry is that its something like the motor or IR that might be acting up.

I have tested the train with 4 rechargeable batteries plus 2 dummies, which produces 4 x 1.2 + 2 x 0 = 4.8 volts, and the train runs on that. So if your train is not running, your battery pack is producing less than that. The batteries that are drained are dead. To check this, put the bad batteries in something else that uses AAA batteries, and see if it can power that for more than a few minutes.

The best thing to do is to buy new rechargeable batteries, that way you can run the train for many hours on a single charge. You'll be pleasantly surprised to see how strong the PF motor is.

Most of the older rechargeable batteries lose their charge when not used for a couple of months. There are new types that can hold their charge for more than a year. Make sure to get those, because they're very convenient for lots of things.

Most of the older rechargeable batteries lose their charge when not used for a couple of months. There are new types that can hold their charge for more than a year. Make sure to get those, because they're very convenient for lots of things.

Low self-discharge batteries are convenient for things that will draw small amounts of power for a long time or be ready to go after being unused for a few months.

If you are charging and using them soon after (within a week or so), like I do with my trains, then the standard rechargeable batteries are a better bet as they have a greater initial charge. The other ones hold less charge to start with because they are designed to achieve the low-discharge characteristic not high capacity.

So if you use them in your trains you will get less run time than using normal high capacity rechargeables.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo