Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest Masters' Lounge

~In this topic, you can learn and discuss about hosting quests in the Heroica RPG or get public feedback to your own ideas for a quest. For other topics related to the game, see the

Heroica RPG Index.~

QUEST MASTERS' GUIDE

This is a guide to those who want to host their own quest for Heroica RPG. You should have a firm grasp at the rules of the game and preferably at least one completed quest as a player under your belt before applying to host your own quest.

PLANNING THE QUEST

The first thing you need is an idea for a quest. There are no restrictions to what type of a quest you can create. Most importantly there should be one main goal that the players must achieve in order to complete the quest. There can be several side missions included as well. The quest can have nothing but battles or no battles at all. It can include fetching, finding or gathering items. You can add puzzles and riddles for the players to solve. The quest can last a week or span several months. It can take place anywhere in the fantasy world of Olegaia – feel free to create your own countries and nations, just as long as they fit the setting. You can draw inspiration on the setting from the past quests or the Library-topic. And remember that a well-crafted plotline will help to keep the players motivated to complete the quest.

You should plan your quest as far as possible. Make yourself a list of all the main events and side paths, all the battles the players can get into and all the items they can find, and all the non-player characters (NPCs) they can meet and interact with. There can be shops or merchants to be found during the quest as well, in which case you should figure out all the wares they sell.

Take special care when creating battles. The battles should be adjusted to provide challenge to the party of characters that the players form, but not be impossible to win. You can create your own monsters and other enemies, but please use the following form:

Name
: This should be descriptive of the enemy. If a battle includes multiples of the same enemy, they should have something after their name to distinct them from each other, like a letter or a further description (numbers should be avoided since they can easily be mixed up with the enemy’s level).

Type
: This indicates the elemental strengths and weaknesses of the enemy. One enemy can be of several types. See the
official rules
for all enemy types.

Level
: This indicates the attack power of the enemy. Take the maximum health of the party members into consideration here.

Health
: Put the current and maximum value of the enemy’s health here. Consider how many hits the player needs in order to defeat the enemy to decide the value.

Special
: The special skill of the enemy. This can be anything from causing elemental damage to healing other enemies to stealing gold from the players to inflicting them with special effects like poison. Hard enemies can have several special skills that alternate per battle round.

Drops
: This indicates the amount of gold and items that the enemy drops after the battle. Consider if the enemy could realistically carry said items, for example most beasts wouldn’t carry gold.

Enemies can also have
ether
or
defense
(equal to SP), or have immunity against certain effects or some other passive effect on the battle, in which case there should be a
note
about it.

You should also build MOCs for your quest and take pictures of the events, the environments and the monsters to illustrate the quest and make it that much interesting. Please avoid using blurry photos. LDD-pictures are allowed with the reservation that they are of good quality.

Once you have the quest planned, write a pitch for it and send it to me (Sandy) via PM. The pitch must include the following things:

Quest Title
: Name the quest something interesting, but don’t reveal everything in the title.

Assignment
: Write the main goal that the players should achieve during the quest. Preferably write it in the perspective of the employing character (which must be different from your player character) or organization.

Party Requirements
: Write the requirements that you wish the players fulfil in order to participate in your quest. These can include specific levels or job classes, even specific gender or race. but most importantly the size of the party that can participate in the quest. The party size should not exceed six players at least on your first few quests.

Reward
: Define what rewards the players get from completing the quest. This can include gold, special items, extra levels or reputation among an organization.

You may have to provide some enemy statistics and pictures you've prepared as well as answer some questions before your quest is accepted into the game.

STARTING THE QUEST

If your quest is accepted, the pitch will be posted in the Quest Board in the Heroica Hall -topic. There will be a deadline assigned for sign-ups, and after that you choose the participants out of those who signed up, and create a Quest-topic that is only open for you and the chosen players.

In the Quest-topic you should give further information about the quest as the employing character, and choose a Party Leader among the players. The leader should be someone you know has experience of the game and shows promise of being motivated to play, as he or she will make the most crucial decisions for the party in and out of battles.

During the quest, you should give as much freedom to the players as is possible within the frames of the plotline you created. Don’t just point them to the right direction or hand everything to them, but make them think and test out different possibilities on how to progress.

Note that if you are planning to include unique items that have complex effects into your quest, please consult me about them beforehand so I can determine how well they fit the core mechanics of the game.

BATTLES

Battles can only be initiated by you. Players cannot make up monsters to fight on their own. When you start a battle, list all the encountered enemies with all the information related to them as well as the statistics of the party members for the players to see. Then ask the Party Leader to choose the order of action, and prompt all the players to choose their targets and whether they want to attack, heal, cast a spell, flee, use an item, etc.

Once all players have posted the required information, roll a six-sided die for all their actions (except if they used an item). If a player does not post their target within 24 hours, you are free to choose it for them as the rules dictate. Remember that any enemy that isn’t targeted by the players will get a Free Hit on the party at the end of the round (see the rules for further information).

It is your job to calculate the damage inflicted and taken for all the players and enemies, so pay close attention to it. It helps to write your calculations in the results, so that the players can double-check them as well. As a hint, keep the job class descriptions close at hand to see the effects of the die rolls for each of the players, since the effects vary between the classes.

Once you’ve calculated the battle results, post a description of them into the Quest topic. If there are any enemies still standing, initiate a second round with all the steps described above. If the party defeated all the enemies, claim them victorious, give all standing players the experience they earned from the battle (one level up increases power, health and ether by one) and ask the Party Leader to divide the gold and items that the enemies dropped.

If the entire party flees the battle, you can choose whether to give them a chance to try it again or not. Note that the knocked out characters will be carried away by their companions if everyone flees, and be revived with 1 health.

ENDING THE QUEST

If the enemies managed to defeat the entire party, they will fail the whole quest. In that case they will not get any rewards from either the battle or the quest. You as a Quest Master can apply to host the failed quest again, although you should probably adjust it to make it more passable.

Once the players achieve the main goal of the quest, you should post an ending to the quest where you also give them the aforementioned reward for completing the quest.

I'm not yet interested in hosting, but since you say we can pitch ideas here, is it possible we'd ever see a quest with a fully-explorable environment wherein the players choose where to go?

I'm not yet interested in hosting, but since you say we can pitch ideas here, is it possible we'd ever see a quest with a fully-explorable environment wherein the players choose where to go?

Hey, maybe we could have something similar to that, but with several different Quests taking place in the same area. It'd save a lot of time trying to make one, but have different challenges each time. And it sounds more freeform too.

Hey, maybe we could have something similar to that, but with several different Quests taking place in the same area. It'd save a lot of time trying to make one, but have different challenges each time. And it sounds more freeform too.

I think that'd just turn into chaos. The players could confuse each other or accidentally complete another group's goals. Plus in a fully-explorable environment, it'd be hard enough for the host to create the whole playing area, let alone having to work in multiple objectives.

I think that'd just turn into chaos. The players could confuse each other or accidentally complete another group's goals. Plus in a fully-explorable environment, it'd be hard enough for the host to create the whole playing area, let alone having to work in multiple objectives.

Well not all at once! :tongue: I mean, like a Quest chain. Maybe a few Quests, but all related to the same thing. One at a time in the same area, though.

I'm guessing you two are talking about something like a revisitable dungeon? It sounds great, but I currently don't have the resources to design something like that. But later, with help, maybe.

Well not all at once! :tongue: I mean, like a Quest chain. Maybe a few Quests, but all related to the same thing. One at a time in the same area, though.

Whew! *breathes a sigh of relief* :laugh:

I'm guessing you two are talking about something like a revisitable dungeon? It sounds great, but I currently don't have the resources to design something like that. But later, with help, maybe.

I was just talking about a quest where the players chose where to go, similar to a mystery game; the revisiting thing was CallMePieOrDie's idea. Basically, the host would create a large area, preferably enclosed by some sorts of impassable boundaries, so the players can't leave the predefined area, and an objective would be given. (e.g., find the treasure chest) The players would have to decide where to go and who to fight.

I was just talking about a quest where the players chose where to go, similar to a mystery game; the revisiting thing was CallMePieOrDie's idea. Basically, the host would create a large area, preferably enclosed by some sorts of impassable boundaries, so the players can't leave the predefined area, and an objective would be given. (e.g., find the treasure chest) The players would have to decide where to go and who to fight.

If hosting a quest is anything like doing the same thing in a traditional tabletop RPG, there will probably be enough flexibility for the group to go where they decide within reason. I doubt many quest hosts will insist that their players follow a strict script. Being railroaded isn't a fun way to play a game. But I'm sure every host will have varying degrees f flexibility. And sometimes you have to lead players the right way to get them to something fun but subtlety is key.

If hosting a quest is anything like doing the same thing in a traditional tabletop RPG, there will probably be enough flexibility for the group to go where they decide within reason. I doubt many quest hosts will insist that their players follow a strict script. Being railroaded isn't a fun way to play a game. But I'm sure every host will have varying degrees f flexibility. And sometimes you have to lead players the right way to get them to something fun but subtlety is key.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at when I say 'fully-explorable'. Though no matter how flexible such a quest would be, it would be more flexible than what the normal quest is, since by this game system, in the normal quest, the players do follow a script set by the host. (which is not a bad thing for new players)

I doubt many quest hosts will insist that their players follow a strict script. Being railroaded isn't a fun way to play a game.

It isn't? :blush: The first three quests are admittedly quite restricted, but they shouldn't last long, and there's still choices to be made during the quests. But they're definitely not "do whatever you want"-type of things.

I think the main difference to D&D here is that there is no single campaign lasting for weeks or months, but rather numerous small quests that may or may not be linked together by a bigger plot. It's more akin to a MMORPG videogame than a free-roaming tabletop RPG, except since we're all humans here, there's room for much flexibility.

It isn't? :blush: The first three quests are admittedly quite restricted, but they shouldn't last long, and there's still choices to be made during the quests. But they're definitely not "do whatever you want"-type of things.

Well as I said, these stricter quests are ideal for those of us just getting started in the game. I think it'd be a good idea, if less restrictive quests did become a reality, to always have at least one of these more restrictive quests going.

I would be very interested in running quests once I have participated in a few. I think Sandy will need fresh blood to take care of starter quests as there are so many people joining.

I think befroe any quest can be started, we need a list of the locations in Eubric, both the ones already made for the board game, and some more made up for this game. Then, quests could take place all over Eubric, and there could be a limit to the amount of quests taking place at one time in one place. So say one band of heros is looking for some lost treasure in the Dark Forest or whatever, there could be another band of heroes in the same place but trying to complete a different quest, and either the two bands could meet up, or not.

I have a good idea for a quest, and I'd like to host it after I got a few others under my belt.

The Pitch:

Some family (or farmer, or whatever, I haven't ironed out all the details yet) discovers a cave on their property. They want some heroes to explore it for them, as they've heard some eerie cries coming from within. There would be quite a few paths the heroes could take, and each one could lead to any number of traps, monsters, battles, or even treasure. It's pretty much a sprawling dungeon that I have in mind.

I think befroe any quest can be started, we need a list of the locations in Eubric, both the ones already made for the board game, and some more made up for this game. Then, quests could take place all over Eubric, and there could be a limit to the amount of quests taking place at one time in one place. So say one band of heros is looking for some lost treasure in the Dark Forest or whatever, there could be another band of heroes in the same place but trying to complete a different quest, and either the two bands could meet up, or not.

For a list of locations already in the game, I'd suggest you go take a look at the official Heroica website. Some regions and locations are mentioned in the character bios in "the Book of Lore". :wink:

EDIT Here's I list I did reading "the Book of Lore".

"GOOD" REGIONS

Region: Mountains of Barresh (home of the Barbarian guy)

Place: Unknown mystical city (home of the Mage)

Region: The ancient forests (home of the Druid)

Place: Drandora Port (home of the Rogue)

Region: Forests of Ennon (home of the Ranger)

Region: Kingdom of Ennon (home of the Knight)

"EVIL" REGIONS

Place: Castle Fortaan

Place: Draida Bay

Location: At the seaside presumeably. I believe it's Ennon's busiest port.

Region: Waldurk Forest

Location: Most likely inside the Kingdom of Ennon, but this isn't made clear.

Region: Caverns of Nathuz

Location: Also most likely to be situated in Ennon, but it's not really made clear.

EDIT 2: Found some sort of map here.

Other, smaller version:

pic1009398_md.jpg

Edited by KhoRne

I would be very interested in running quests once I have participated in a few.

I also would like to host a quest once I've played a couple. I've never hosted a game on Eurobricks before, but I've been a DnD DM for years! :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

For a list of locations already in the game, I'd suggest you go take a look at the official Heroica website. Some regions and locations are mentioned in the character bios in "the Book of Lore". :wink:

Thank you for pointing these out, I hadn't noticed the website was updated.

I'm actually drawing a map of the regions near Eubric and the Free Islands, and it already included all the boardgame locations, but I'll make some adjustments to it based on this new information. I'll reveal the map when I open the Heroica Library topic in the near future (yay, more topics to manage!).

Thank you for pointing these out, I hadn't noticed the website was updated.

I'm actually drawing a map of the regions near Eubric and the Free Islands, and it already included all the boardgame locations, but I'll make some adjustments to it based on this new information. I'll reveal the map when I open the Heroica Library topic in the near future (yay, more topics to manage!).

Oooh, a map :wub: . I look forward to that :sweet: . If you need any help, I can always help out, as I have made my fair share of maps in the past (eg. some maps for the old EBRP). Here's one I did for my own LEGO factions (coincidentally, that world is also named Heroica :tongue: .

EDIT Here's another Heroica map with notes pertaining to the other areas which's location was not yet given.

(The pic is courtesy of member sidersdd, I found it via this topic.)

Edited by KhoRne

Oooh, a map :wub: . I look forward to that :sweet: . If you need any help, I can always help out, as I have made my fair share of maps in the past (eg. some maps for the old EBRP). Here's one I did for my own LEGO factions (coincidentally, that world is also named Heroica :tongue: .

EDIT Here's another Heroica map with notes pertaining to the other areas which's location was not yet given.

(The pic is courtesy of member sidersdd, I found it via this topic.)

That map from the board game is very useful. Where would Heroica hall be in comparison to everything?

That map from the board game is very useful. Where would Heroica hall be in comparison to everything?

Heroica Hall would be in Eubric Freeport, which would be off the coast on the main island of a group of isles called the "Free Islands", since they don't belong to any kingdom. But it's about a day's ship journey from Eubric to Draida Bay, so they're not that far a part.

Heroica Hall would be in Eubric Freeport, which would be off the coast on the main island of a group of isles called the "Free Islands", since they don't belong to any kingdom. But it's about a day's ship journey from Eubric to Draida Bay, so they're not that far a part.

Good to know. I guess what we need is a map of the Free Islands.

Good to know. I guess what we need is a map of the Free Islands.

I am making one currently, as I said in an earlier post to this topic. :wink:

I'll reveal the map when I open the Heroica Library topic in the near future (yay, more topics to manage!).

Ah ha! I knew there was a library! :grin: Edited by Brickdoctor

Oooh, this talk of maps has been most enlightening. Until now I had assumed that Eubric Freeport was a city in Ennon (well, on an Island, but part of...) So, does that mean that the Kingdom of Ennon has not been liberated from the orcs (or goblins) yet?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Oooh, this talk of maps has been most enlightening. Until now I had assumed that Eubric Freeport was a city in Ennon (well, on an Island, but part of...) So, does that mean that the Kingdom of Ennon has not been liberated from the orcs (or goblins) yet?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

The backstory says the events of the Heroica Boardgame took place 250 years prior to this RPG. :wink:

Someone needs to host a quest entitled, The Impostor, wherein the objective will be to search and destroy the shurikan-throwing Crusader. :grin: