Jump to content


Heroica RPG General Discussion


  • Please log in to reply
47639 replies to this topic

#15076 posades

posades

  • Unknown Entity +9999


    Posts: 1655
    Joined: 11-November 08
    Member: 4353
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Ugh, free hits are added all together and then halved/SP taken into account?  Is that what the big debate was about 50 pages ago?  I thought each free hit was calculated separately, that puts a dent into my plan.  Doesn't it make more literal sense for each free hit to be calculated on its own, it's not like all the enemies are attacking at exactly the same time.

Per aspera ad astra.

Xander Unth'or, lv 30 Hunter - Heroica RPG


#15077 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21824
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

View Postposades, on 12 November 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Ugh, free hits are added all together and then halved/SP taken into account?  Is that what the big debate was about 50 pages ago?  I thought each free hit was calculated separately, that puts a dent into my plan.  Doesn't it make more literal sense for each free hit to be calculated on its own, it's not like all the enemies are attacking at exactly the same time.
Yeah, that was what was decided after Sandy decided that Free Hits shouldn't do a guaranteed minimum of 1 Damage.

Otherwise that Aura in this battle would've been a lucky break, not a curse. :sad:

#15078 Scorpiox

Scorpiox

  • All Systems Go!


    Posts: 3831
    Joined: 04-March 11
    Member: 16378
    Country: Great Britain

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostFlipz, on 12 November 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

Hmm, the Pseudos are indeed very interesting...I'd like to get to see more of them at a later date.

Come on, Flipz, reply to my PM! :tongue:

Haldor Skovgaard in Sandy's Heroica RPG.
[STATS] and [PROFILE]


#15079 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9450
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

Easy solution: you guys use a Smoke Bomb, return to the Sanctuary, and then tackle some more "easy" challenges to raise your Level and HP, and gain some extra consumables along the way.  Sure, it'll take longer, but you'll actually have a better shot at beating the hard challenges that way. :wink:

View PostScorpiox, on 12 November 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

Come on, Flipz, reply to my PM! :tongue:

Shoot, I didn't do that yet?  I was juggling somewhere around four different PM threads yesterday, plus taking care of a litter of kittens and their mother that my family just caught, plus dealing with college work...it was hectic yesterday. :tongue:

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]


#15080 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21824
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

View PostFlipz, on 12 November 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

and then tackle some more "easy" challenges to raise your Level and HP, and gain some extra consumables along the way.
But if we raise our Levels, then the Rainbow Falls battle will be rebalanced for our new stats.

#15081 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6525
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostFlipz, on 12 November 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Shoot, I didn't do that yet?  I was juggling somewhere around four different PM threads yesterday, plus taking care of a litter of kittens and their mother that my family just caught, plus dealing with college work...it was hectic yesterday. :tongue:

No dinner kittens during mafia heroica. :damn:

I feel for your Party guys, but I do think its neat that we have finally seen an example in which high SP can be balanced without creating enemies that merely ignore SP.

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#15082 posades

posades

  • Unknown Entity +9999


    Posts: 1655
    Joined: 11-November 08
    Member: 4353
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

View PostWaterbrick Down, on 12 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

No dinner kittens during mafia heroica. :damn:

I feel for your Party guys, but I do think its neat that we have finally seen an example in which high SP can be balanced without creating enemies that merely ignore SP.
It may be balanced for Docken, but I don't see how it's balanced for the other players without as much SP; being knocked out by free hits in one round with full health doesn't seem fair (in Dyric's case).


And rolling a shield shouldn't be considered a curse in any situation, in my opinion.

Edited by posades, 12 November 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Per aspera ad astra.

Xander Unth'or, lv 30 Hunter - Heroica RPG


#15083 CMP

CMP

  • Ass


    Posts: 14329
    Joined: 27-August 09
    Member: 7199
    Country: Florida, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postposades, on 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

It may be balanced for Docken, but I don't see how it's balanced for the other players without as much SP; being knocked out by free hits in one round with full health doesn't seem fair (in Dyric's case).

He doesn't have any SP, he'd take the same amount of damage whether it was compounded or not.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 42.2 Rogue Thief in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 17 Berserker in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#15084 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21824
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

View Postposades, on 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

It may be balanced for Docken, but I don't see how it's balanced for the other players without as much SP; being knocked out by free hits in one round with full health doesn't seem fair (in Dyric's case).
Dyric's just over half Health. He should have 11 HP, based on Sandy's calculations. I assume the 21 HP in the stats is a mistake.

#15085 Zepher

Zepher

  • I can't control my tongue


    Posts: 11443
    Joined: 04-June 08
    Member: 3241

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

I am also super intrigued by Psuedos.  Scuba, when the quest has concluded, we'll have to talk.

I would like to make a request to Sandy.  Can we include the extra deities in the Library topic, with notes that they are only worshipped in certain parts of the world?  Such as Akkaba, and now Psuesdos?

Lord Lawrence Boomingham


&


Nash Ash in Unrest in the Forest


#15086 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6525
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

View Postposades, on 12 November 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

And rolling a shield shouldn't be considered a curse in any situation, in my opinion.
Actually if you look at some of the shields they are unfair. Shamaans for example can have a horrible time if they are dealing with poisoned enemies and mages random elemental shields sometimes mean their attacks will be unfortuantely ineffective.

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#15087 posades

posades

  • Unknown Entity +9999


    Posts: 1655
    Joined: 11-November 08
    Member: 4353
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Having gotten past my rage (and having thought it out a bit), the  current way of doing free hits doesn't affect the people with little to no SP, so I guess it isn't fatally flawed.  However, I still think it dissuades people from going after high SP when it is so easily countered by two high leveled free hits.  20SP with two hits doing 30 damage each would sustain 40 damage instead of 20 from the front row (assumed with such a high SP) which is significant.



And yeah, maybe they should be tweaked if they aren't always pluses (shield rolls).

Per aspera ad astra.

Xander Unth'or, lv 30 Hunter - Heroica RPG


#15088 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

  • Completely Lame


    Posts: 7580
    Joined: 17-October 11
    Member: 21005
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostZepher, on 12 November 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

I am also super intrigued by Psuedos.  Scuba, when the quest has concluded, we'll have to talk.

Do a quick search of Pseudos on the forums here. :wink:

Posted ImagePosted Image Theodore Dunn in Scooby Doo Mafia


Shameless link to my bricklink store.


#15089 Waterbrick Down

Waterbrick Down

  • Typer-of-faces


    Posts: 6525
    Joined: 16-January 09
    Member: 5025
    Country: U.S.

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

View Postposades, on 12 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Having gotten past my rage (and having thought it out a bit), the  current way of doing free hits doesn't affect the people with little to no SP, so I guess it isn't fatally flawed.  However, I still think it dissuades people from going after high SP when it is so easily countered by two high leveled free hits.  20SP with two hits doing 30 damage each would sustain 40 damage instead of 20 from the front row (assumed with such a high SP) which is significant.

True but in order to receive those free hits the monsters would have to go through the battle order twice. Which if there is that many of them and at that high of a level, then you are seriously out-gunned.

Currently questing in Sandy's Heroica RPG as:


Posted Image                                  Posted Image

Skrall, Lv. 43 Ogre, Hunter       Boris Bruhalv, Lv. 8 Vampire, Cleric


#15090 Zepher

Zepher

  • I can't control my tongue


    Posts: 11443
    Joined: 04-June 08
    Member: 3241

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Interesting.  I guess Boomingham and Guts will have a thing or two more to discuss when they meet again!

I've never included any character story in the Quests I host.  I wonder if I should or will one day.  It's an interesting technique if done in a none intrusive way, such as like this, or as Etzel does with the Paladin Order.  Just gives a little hint or flavor of background while standing on it's own as well.

EDIT:  Ugh, Etzel, stop having such friggin beautiful MOCs!!

Edited by Zepher, 12 November 2012 - 09:38 PM.

Lord Lawrence Boomingham


&


Nash Ash in Unrest in the Forest


#15091 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

  • Completely Lame


    Posts: 7580
    Joined: 17-October 11
    Member: 21005
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Agreed, Etzel, are you for hire? :wub:

Posted ImagePosted Image Theodore Dunn in Scooby Doo Mafia


Shameless link to my bricklink store.


#15092 Etzel

Etzel

  • Me Want Ducky!!!!


    Posts: 2995
    Joined: 30-January 08
    Member: 2625
    Country: Sweden

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thanks again guys!

I really enjoy building in the Heroica universe, there are lots of cool stories to tell! :sweet: As I said before, most of the MOCs in my quest was build several months ago, which was good because now I can focus on the actual story and just put in the pictures when it's time. And also start working on new MOCs for the next quest...

Which I probably should go and write something about it in the QM topic.

#15093 JimBee

JimBee

  • Shroom Eating Cultist


    Posts: 11272
    Joined: 07-January 08
    Member: 2436
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostWaterbrick Down, on 12 November 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Actually if you look at some of the shields they are unfair. Shamaans for example can have a horrible time if they are dealing with poisoned enemies and mages random elemental shields sometimes mean their attacks will be unfortuantely ineffective.
I wouldn't say unfair, just balancing. Where Shamans would have difficulty in a battle with many poisoned enemies or allies, Wardens will have difficulty when they roll Aura against a large number of enemies, as we've seen.

I don't really think any class has been more "unfair", there's just advantages and disadvantages to each.

Coming from someone who plays as an Assassin, I have no SP. Then again, who needs it when you're permanently lucky? :tongue:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 55-year-old male imp Marauder, and

Jinnipher Buchaire, 77-year-old female Moon Elven Knight

in the Heroica RPG

Wiki


#15094 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

  • Completely Lame


    Posts: 7580
    Joined: 17-October 11
    Member: 21005
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostJimButcher, on 12 November 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Coming from someone who plays as an Assassin, I have no SP. Then again, who needs it when you're permanently lucky? :tongue:

Permanently lucky is great. :sweet: Although Guts' source is non permanent, he just has to make sure he does not run out of gold to buy Nostrums...

Posted ImagePosted Image Theodore Dunn in Scooby Doo Mafia


Shameless link to my bricklink store.


#15095 CMP

CMP

  • Ass


    Posts: 14329
    Joined: 27-August 09
    Member: 7199
    Country: Florida, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostJimButcher, on 12 November 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Coming from someone who plays as an Assassin, I have no SP. Then again, who needs it when you're permanently lucky? :tongue:

You're permanently hastened, which actually increases the chance of you getting hit. :laugh: But it takes up two of your artifact slots, so you don't have much room for SP anyway.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 42.2 Rogue Thief in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 17 Berserker in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#15096 JimBee

JimBee

  • Shroom Eating Cultist


    Posts: 11272
    Joined: 07-January 08
    Member: 2436
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostScubacarrot, on 12 November 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

Permanently lucky is great. :sweet: Although Guts' source is non permanent, he just has to make sure he does not run out of gold to buy Nostrums...
Well, that's what I meant. Being able to make a profit off of being lucky so I can buy more nostrums is the equivalent of permanently lucky to me. :tongue:

View PostCallMePie, on 12 November 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

You're permanently hastened, which actually increases the chance of you getting hit. :laugh: But it takes up two of your artifact slots, so you don't have much room for SP anyway.
And also increases my effectiveness in battle. I can prevent another Free Hit, or instakill one or more enemies. :wink: Plus being lucky all the time outweighs the risk of getting damaged more.

On an unrelated note, that ghost in Quest 40 reminds me of the hanar in Mass Effect..  :laugh:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 55-year-old male imp Marauder, and

Jinnipher Buchaire, 77-year-old female Moon Elven Knight

in the Heroica RPG

Wiki


#15097 Scubacarrot

Scubacarrot

  • Completely Lame


    Posts: 7580
    Joined: 17-October 11
    Member: 21005
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostJimButcher, on 12 November 2012 - 11:24 PM, said:

On an unrelated note, that ghost in Quest 40 reminds me of the hanar in Mass Effect..  :laugh:

This one had not intended that reference.

Posted ImagePosted Image Theodore Dunn in Scooby Doo Mafia


Shameless link to my bricklink store.


#15098 JimBee

JimBee

  • Shroom Eating Cultist


    Posts: 11272
    Joined: 07-January 08
    Member: 2436
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

View PostScubacarrot, on 12 November 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

This one had not intended that reference.
:laugh: :thumbup:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 55-year-old male imp Marauder, and

Jinnipher Buchaire, 77-year-old female Moon Elven Knight

in the Heroica RPG

Wiki


#15099 Dannylonglegs

Dannylonglegs

  • History Expert


    Posts: 7441
    Joined: 05-February 09
    Member: 5222
    Country: USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:41 PM

Endgame, two things: 1, the blade should be badly poisoned (I think) and 2, Rhodus still has 6 ether instead of 2. :wink:

Oh, and did anyone answer whether inanimate objects that are attacking could be blinded?

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs, 12 November 2012 - 11:43 PM.

Playing as the Begonya Siblings, Feliks and Nadine Begonya, a pair of russian-accented Mitgardian traders! Sylph Solanum in Heroica! Doctor Danielle Long works for Octan in AG! Avery de la Jambe-Longue, former Oleander Aristocrat, now in the navy!

Here's my Flickr account.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image


#15100 Flipz

Flipz

  • #residentmunchkin


    Posts: 9450
    Joined: 01-December 11
    Member: 22657
    Country: California, USA

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostTheBoyWonder, on 12 November 2012 - 11:37 PM, said:

Yeah, well I decided to bravely flee and save you guys. Ah Toxiproggs, get Ayla out of here, and, they are getting thrashed in there. Sylphs been knocked out twice.

http://www.youtube.c...wuTo7zKM8#t=62s

Had to be done. :grin:

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users