Runamuck’s Avatar MOCs

75 replies to this topic

#26 Runamuck

Runamuck

Member: 14769

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, Iroh did heat the water with his firebending, which caused the bubbles.
It is nice to see that Ty Lee is appreciated. I was a little worried about her face design, on one hand the one that I have made for her looks almost identical to Katara, but on the other people occasionally find LEGO eyes with sclera a bit creepy.

I know, it’s not exactly the grandest of my builds. But it is a bit special, in the way that the figures aren’t that easy to reuse in other builds, they are strongly connected with the beach setting. Although with a little tweaking they might be able to be used as Fire Nation civilians.
I deliberately made the beach gray. I originally wanted to make it yellow like the beaches of the classic pirate sets because I don’t have all that much tan, but all the reference pictures I used had the beach in a very gray color. Figuring that it might be of a volcanic nature, I just went ahead and made it gray.
Yes, the light in the prison pictures is pretty bright because I used the flash on the camera. The light was a bit dim, and I wanted people to be able to see Ozai inside the cell. This also carried over to the other pictures for better or for worse.
I’m thinking of a way to make a better picture of Iroh’s training, I’ll see what I can do about it.
I have improved Ozai’s face a bit; it’s more evenly yellow now. There are two reasons for the sloppy yellow: 1) I was afraid to smudge the colors 2) the rather yellow light bulbs in my living room does not make it easier to see the uneven color, so I first really noticed it on the photo.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Edit:
After a little rebuild of the cell and some experimentation with various angles and light sources i took this picture of Iroh’s training.
Posted Image
I would say it is an improvement over the old picture. On the other hand it probably couldn’t get much worse than it was.

Edited by Runamuck, 21 November 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#27 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

It has been quite some time since I last built some Avatar stuff, hasn’t it?

Well here is something I have actually wanted to do for some time:
Posted Image
The spirit oasis of the Northern Watertribe.
Posted Image
Yue and Katara are talking while Aang would want some peace to meditate and try and get into the spirit word. Momo is looking rather curiously at the koi fish. The plate that I used for the pond is actually what got the gears turning for this MOC.
Posted Image
A better overview of the island that I have built.
Posted Image
That white hairpiece is actually the reason why I have wanted to make a figure of Yue for a long time, but for some reason I never got around to doing so. It’s kind of hard to believe that these pigtails more or less are the only type of LEGO hair that exists in white, although the selection of gray hair has gotten better over the years.
Posted Image
As I’m going with the cartoon version of Yue there is no penis shape hair here.

But now for something newer from the other end of the Avatar world:
Posted Image
The new series is getting closer to release, so here we have Naga. At least that is what I think that this polar bear-dog is going to be called.
Posted Image
Naga is apparently going to serve as Korra’s method of transportation; much like Appa did to Aang and Fang to Roku.
Posted Image
As Nage is part dog I thought it was a good idea to add some articulation that would make it able to wag its tail.
Posted Image
Sit!

Edited by Runamuck, 09 February 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#28 Oky

Oky

• I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Very nice new scene! I like how you did the pond with the fish. Pretty good Yue too. You do know that you're required now to make a scene with her and Sokka, right? :laugh:
Naga looks good as well, but like all your creature MOCs, she looks a bit too blocky. That wagging tail action is cool though. :grin:

Oh, and that picture of Iroh does look much better. :thumbup:

#29 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yes, I guess you’re right about taking some pictures of Sokka and Yue together.
So here is what I could come up with:
Posted Image
A little setup of how they first met.
Posted Image
Sokka definitely isn’t looking where he is going.
Posted Image

Posted Image
A better view of the whole MOC.

Posted Image
And just a little picture of them together on the bridge.

#30 Oky

Oky

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

Hehe, very nice. I like how you tend to recreate the more humorous scenes. I especially like the last picture. I feel like the bridge could use some more detail though. Also, this is not how they first met. This is actually the third time. :wink:

#31 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

You’re right about that Oky, I must have mixed up a few scenes in my head. There is the first time where Sokka just looks at her from a distance and the welcoming dinner where they first talk before the boat scene. It is still from the first episode where they meet if that counts for anything.

So no one noticed that I didn’t make any close ups of the guy pushing the boat forward?

Posted Image
While not necessarily accurate to the scene I made it master Pakku.
I also planned a little ahead on this.
Posted Image
Of cause when you have master Pakku at hand it seems rather obvious to try and make part of the scene where he and Katara fight.
Posted Image
Katara immobilized among the ice spikes.
Posted Image
And master Pakku finding something that he hasn’t seen for the past 60 years.

Having made Pakku I thought that I had almost accumulated for something else, but first I needed one more thing.
Posted Image
Sokka’s master.
Posted Image
Master Piandao, the legendary swordsman.
Posted Image
A view through the gate.
Posted Image
A view of the door without any of the figures or the meteorite.
Posted Image
The new figures for this one. Piandao, Aang, now with hair and headband, and Sokka’s new robes.

So what had I accumulated though my various builds?
Posted Image
The Order of the While Lotus…or at least the most important members of it.

#32 Oky

Oky

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

Very cool, even though this installment is more a collection of custom minifigs than MOCs. I didn't realize that was supposed to be Pakku (since he isn't supposed to be in that scene, as you said), but now that you provide a close-up, it does look like him. His neck seems a bit long in that last shot though. :tongue: Aang also looks MUCH better with that hair than with that silly hat from the theater. And I like the pattern on Piandao's gate. :thumbup:

#33 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

My latest creation: The freedom fighter’s camp or more like the play set version of it.
Posted Image
A view of the whole thing. This was actually a rather interesting experience in how to build larger trees.
Posted Image
The elevator needed to get up to the platforms.
Posted Image
Winching system and observation platform.
Posted Image
The middle platform with table.
Posted Image
All the freedom fighters together.
Posted Image
Jet’s quarters. Apparently I can’t keep the camera straight. Notice the dagger stuck in the table.
Posted Image
The backside has not been completely neglected either. There is a zip line that goes across all three trees.
Posted Image
Weeeeeeeh!
Posted Image
The freedom fighters. Jet with some old “crowbar”/”robofingers” standing in for his hook swords, Pipsqueak with his log club, The Duke, Smellerbee, Longshot and Sneers who should be happy that I bothered to remember making a figure of him.

Edited by Runamuck, 01 March 2012 - 12:21 PM.

#34 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have been building a lot lately, haven’t I? Well, here we go again.
Posted Image
This is Teo, the son of the Mechanist.
Posted Image
The Mechanist has made a lot of interesting inventions, among these he outfitted his son’s wheelchair with an glider based of leftover Airnomad equipment found in the northern air temple.
Posted Image
A look from above.
Posted Image
Aang joins Teo on his flight.
Posted Image
Aang’s glider was an interesting thing to try and build. Maybe I should have added some details to the wings.
Posted Image
Aang hanging on to his glider.
Posted Image
The construction is rather different from what I have seen of the official LEGO version.
Posted Image
Katara Also joins the flight.
Posted Image
Overside…
Posted Image
…and underside of another glider that the Mechanist has built.
Posted Image
Are we missing anybody? Momo of course.
Posted Image
Momo, this time in “flight mode”.
Posted Image
Remember, when flying, watch out for bugs.

Edited by Runamuck, 05 March 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#35 Oky

Oky

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

View PostRunamuck, on 05 March 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

I have been building a lot lately, haven’t I?
You sure have, and I hope you never stop! Your MOCs are the only thing (except for reruns and occasional news) that keep my hunger for all things Avatar satisfied until Korra finally comes out! :grin:

Man, if only the theme would have continued long enough for them to release an official freedom fighter’s camp playset! :wub: Your MOC gives us a good idea of what it might have looked like!

I like Aang's and Katara's gliders, but I'm not really happy with Teo's. The wheelchair part looks good, but the color and shape of the wings just don't feel right. I'm guessing you're running out of parts again, so I'm not sure how you could fix that.

#36 turtleman2020

turtleman2020

Member: 23684

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostOky, on 05 March 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

You sure have, and I hope you never stop! Your MOCs are the only thing (except for reruns and occasional news) that keep my hunger for all things Avatar satisfied until Korra finally comes out! :grin:

Man, if only the theme would have continued long enough for them to release an official freedom fighter’s camp playset! :wub: Your MOC gives us a good idea of what it might have looked like!

I like Aang's and Katara's gliders, but I'm not really happy with Teo's. The wheelchair part looks good, but the color and shape of the wings just don't feel right. I'm guessing you're running out of parts again, so I'm not sure how you could fix that.
Who's korra?
and great avatar mocs

#37 Oky

Oky

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

View Postturtleman2020, on 05 March 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Who's korra?
*oh2*

You're kidding, right? *huh*

#38 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:40 AM

It is very nice to see that my building is appreciated, even if it is a bit on the crude side.

Well, the glider is definitely a bit on the thick side, and it would probably have looked a little better with brown wood pieces and maybe tan winga, but brown technic pieces are rather uncommon. Other than having a few more “ribs” in the wings, I don’t think the shape is too far off except for being angular instead of round. It is basically an overgrown version of Aang’s glider on the show. http://avatar.wikia....s#axzz1oFCvCzDV

Also, Oky, I think we can do better than the avatar wiki for Korra, they have actually gotten an official website a few days ago: http://www.nick.com/...a?navid=showNav

#39 Oky

Oky

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Argh! I really gotta visit other sites than EB. :wall: Where did you hear about it? Is there any news on when it's supposed to premiere?

Yes, I think it's the thickness and angularity that make it so inaccurate. It would be good if you had two of those big round pieces that you used for the zip-line platform on the freedom fighter camp in tan, as well as some smaller ones for the back. Or you could just cheat like you did on Aangs glider and use paper instead. :tongue:  Also, it would be good if you had a few of Aang's staff piece to use for the supports and "ribs". Oh, and you should definitely draw some "ribs" on Aang's glider too.

#40 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

The site hasn’t been around for very long, 10 days or so, and the date of Korra’s release is still only stated as “soon” as far as I know  :hmpf: , there are rumors about a spring release though. Well or at least that is what avatarspirit.net is saying.

You are definitely on to something there, Oky. Those pieces would be great, but I don’t think I have any spare ones though. Paper could also work, like the old ninja or ewok gliders. Unfortunately I have something else on my mind right now, but I’ll probably take a look on it a little later. And what would the “ribs” actually be called in English? I couldn’t remember when I posted last.

#41 Mr. Wayne's sidekick

Mr. Wayne's sidekick

Member: 27195

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

These are great! Lego should re-license Avatar and base it off your stuff.  :classic:

#42 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

I’m pretty sure AFOL would be rather disappointed if I was in charge of making Avatar LEGO sets, but thanks for the compliment none the less.

Minor update, I took your advice Oky and tried to give Teo’s glider a more sleek look:
Posted Image

I was asked if I had enough pieces to build an Air temple. While the answer in hindsight maybe should have been a no, I was running out of Big Ugly Rock Pieces and dark gray pieces, I could not help myself to at least try and build an Air temple.

So here it is:
Posted Image
The Western Air temple. Again it’s more of a play set.
Posted Image
One of the upside-down buildings. The roof would look better with some inverted slopes, but I didn’t have any.
Posted Image
The other part of the temple, complete with a rather crude statue.
Posted Image
Zuko’s encampment.
Posted Image
Yes, Zuko is talking to the badgerfrog.
Posted Image
It appears that team avatar is hiding from something. But who are they hiding from?
Posted Image
*spark*spark*BOOM*
Posted Image
The Combustion Man!

#43 Oky

Oky

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yay! Combustion Man! :laugh:
I think you did quite well for your limited amount of bricks, although the statue could have indeed been better. Do you have the Series 6 Alien? If you replace his head with a regular gray minifig one, he makes for a good statue.
Teo's glider is looking much better too. :thumbup:

By the way, have you tried using the Series 5 Detective's head for Iroh? Seems like a perfect match to me!

#44 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Member: 20752

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Oh man!  I love Avatar the Last Airbender...  Funny enough, considering when it first came out in 2000, my friends and I (I was in the Navy at the time), who were all big anime fans were like, "Meh!  Just another anime wannabe ripoff that's trying to jump on the anime popularity bandwagon..."

...Then I saw a clip from the Day of the Black Sun episode that someone posted in the Steampunk forums at Brassgoggles.co.uk, and I was like holy MEGABLOKS!  They have some kind of magitek submarines, and giant bomber zepplins?!  You know, I might have to check this out after all!  

Unfortunately, the LEGO sets came out somewhere between me getting interested in A:TLA and getting back into LEGO.

I really like what you've done so far, and I also used the Series 4 Geisha for making my own version of the Kyoshi warriors, as can be seen here:

Posted Image
Kyoshi Car by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

Suki is the one driving, and the reason their uniforms are red and black is because Green and Black/Brown is the main color combos used by one of the primary villainous factions in my scenario....

Now I just need to get on BrickLink and see if I can order some of the official TLG heads....

Genderfluid and proud of it.

"Wot's faster than a warbuggy, more killy than a warbike, and flies through da air like a bird? I got no bleedin' idea, but I'm gonna find out."  - Kog da Flymek, pioneer of the Deffkopta

#45 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

Have you guys heard? The Legend of Korra has a release date now, 14th of April.

Well, the detective is missing Iroh’s goatee, and oddly enough I have grown a bit attached to the old sticker head I made, even if other people consider it a little bit creepy looking. The detective head might come in handy though for someone else eventually.

It’s nice to see other fans here on Eurobricks. Well, I don’t have the official Avatar sets either, so we have something in common there. Interesting Kyoshi story you have going on there.

I had some requests, so let’s try and address those.

Posted Image
A miniature of the gigantic statue of Aang, which is standing in the bay of Republic city. It was kind of difficult to find pictures, and it is not entirely accurate. The actual statue does not have the medallion, but I also tough that I might be able to recycle this and replace the crude statue at the Air Temple.

And now for the turtleducks:
Posted Image
A young Zuko and his mother princess Ursa feeding the turtleducks.
Posted Image
Unfortunately the mother duck does not think it’s funny that Zuko demonstrated how Azula feeds the turtleducks.
Posted Image
Ursa: Zuko, that's what mom's are like. If you mess with their babies they'll bite you back.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Happy family photo of Zuko and Ursa.

Edited by Runamuck, 17 March 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#46 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

During Easter I found the Knight’s Kingdom 2 chess set on a flea market, it got the gears in my head turning for something I have wanted to make for a really long time.
Posted Image
I bring you fire!
Posted Image
I have had the basic parts for these soldiers for a long time, but I didn’t know what to use for the fire bender helmets. I guess the Shadow knight helmet with a sticker works for me. I had the idea for the royal firebenders for a long time, but I just didn’t make them before now.

Bu since I now have firebenders, I made a quick setup with them from the old series:
Posted Image
Poor Aang, and poor Gyatso too for that matter.
Posted Image
Gyatso went out with a fight.

#47 turtleman2020

turtleman2020

Member: 23684

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

The turtleducks look really good and the fire nation soldiers look awesomwe

#48 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:14 AM

TV premier time for Legend of Korra!
I have prepared a little thing for this. Although you may already have seen the first episodes through Korra Nation, I’ll still try to stay on the safe side and avoid too many spoilers in my builds.
Here are a few characters from the show that have been featured a lot on things like official websites:
Posted Image
I have updated Korra a little.
Posted Image
Tenzin and his family, His son Meelo, his pregnant wife Pema, and his daughters Ikki and Jinora.
Posted Image
Minor local pro-bending sports stars Bolin and Mako.
Posted Image
And last, but not least the mysterious Amon.

#49 Oky

Oky

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Not bad, but I must say that your quality is slipping as most of these look very sloppily painted. Maybe you just need some new markers. :tongue:

#50 Runamuck

Runamuck

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for the comments.
Yes, I admit that things get a bit sloppy during mass production. All of these were made in a single day. I’m not sure switching to a newer marker is necessarily an improvement. I had trouble with the yellow one because it was drying up, so I switched to a new one, but then I was afraid of smudging things and the marker being miscoloured from the other line on the sticker. Also it is probably a dumb idea using pencil for the grey bits; I get as much on my fingers as I get on the paper. Also it would probably help if I used a different light source; I suspect that the light I use while working on the figures might be too yellow.
But I have tried to touch the figure up a bit.
Then there are also other problems. Colours can accidentally bleed into each other. The paper for the torso cover can get soggy and rip during colouring. I had some stickers that were a bit old and didn’t stick well. And I might get fed up with things after a few failed attempts.
Oh well, it’s just for fun that I do this anyway.
It’s still nice to get some response on things that could be improved, especially when it is fairly easy to fix like the minor colour touch ups.

Edit: Amon’s face is actually coloured like that on porous to mimic how his mask looks.

Edited by Runamuck, 14 April 2012 - 08:01 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users