Does anyone have this problem with the unimog ?

The frontleft suspension is bending when you put pressure on it, instead of suspending.

I switched the suspension for the one in the back, but still the same problem.

The steering is much better with the axle modification by the way; thanks.

do you mean that it is offset to the right side? TLC did this to avoid the tires rubbing the front fenders when steered and comprssed at the same time. I don't like it either. :thumbdown:

No, he does not mean the misalignment problem.

He means that the suspension strut itself bends instead of suspending.

With mine it works ok, but still the suspension strut bends a little, but it compresses.

Regards,

Gerhard

No, he does not mean the misalignment problem.

He means that the suspension strut itself bends instead of suspending.

With mine it works ok, but still the suspension strut bends a little, but it compresses.

Regards,

Gerhard

My front suspensions does not work due to this !

Same here, but I have the bending-problem with the right-front-suspension strut (the side with the motor and the pump). While tilting the Unimog to the right side, the suspension strut doesn't "compress" but bends 1-2 millimeter forwards. Sometimes it seems being shortly befor breaking. Is this due to the Offset?

The left-front-suspension works fine.

I noticed the problem too. I think the shock absorbers are too stiff for this. But I think the main problem is within their design. The upper connection point is offset from the spring axle, which means the force exerted when pushing on the model is partly translated into a sideways (bending) force that increases the friction within the shock absorber. To me this is a design flaw in the shock absorber part. Fortunately there's an axle hole in the top of the yellow part that you can use too, but the sideways part shouldn't even be there. Compare to the smaller 6.5 length shock absorber which is straight and has only round holes so you don't have this problem.

In fact I just dislike the large shock absorber part. The 6.5 shock absorber are much better designed and fit much better into the system (for example, they fit into one stud width).

By the way the problem is made bigger by the way the shock absorbers have been connected to both the frame and the axle. The actual hinge point at the top (which is he center of the gray pin with hole) is again offset by a stud because the blue axle pin is sideways. At the bottom is another half stud offset.

For some reason not yet known to me the back suspension behaves much better.

Welcome koen claeys! I decided to shift the front suspension 1 stud backward to solve this issue. Since the unimog is front heavy, you'll realise a slight bend on the suspension when you lift the cab up.

Edited by Gene

Thank god, I was looking at my Unimog, trying to understand what I did wrong. In fact, it's a design issue.

Thank you Erik Leppen for the great description of the problem. I will try to solve it and maybe post my solution here.

It is a big issue I think because I am afraid of breaking the front suspensions everytime I press on the Unimog.