Jump to content


Elizabethan Privateer The Princess Ceinwyn


  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic  – Started by Lord Derfel Cadarn , Aug 09 2011 10:11 PM

#26 Angeli

Angeli
  • Drow Master Builder


    Posts: 904
    Joined: 10-November 10
    Member: 14156
    Country: Serbia

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

this is one beautifull ship, master builder ;)
I love it when you go off castle-topic and still make something notable ;)

#27 Dan the Brickman

Dan the Brickman
  • Soft Bluecoat


    Posts: 678
    Joined: 23-April 09
    Member: 5870
    Country: USA

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

I love it when I come to this site, and see beautiful works of art like this. Not only is the ship built very nicely, its presentation is wonderful, and I really like the "water" effect of its display stand.

Thanks for sharing this.

:thumbup:

Posted Image

Now Playing Died as the scummy Danielle Barrie in: Escape From Isla Paradisa!

"Beware the great sea monster!!!!"

My Brickshelf Gallery MOC page  ToR Holiday Special!(complete now)

#28 Horry

Horry
  • He's back!


    Posts: 625
    Joined: 25-March 11
    Member: 16842
    Country: Germany

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

Okay - I tried not to comment on this one as it would be just another "good lord, that's a mindblowing one!" comment. What else does one expect when Derf builds a vessel-MOC?

But damnit, I cannot hold it back:


Good lord, that's a mindblowing one!
Greetings from the horrible Horry!
New to Eurobricks? Don't get lost, read the site guidelines


Posted Image

Have a look on my tutorials on cannon fortifications caravels ship specs frigates and small ships


#29 omerai

omerai

    Posts: 95
    Joined: 31-January 11
    Member: 15764
    Country: Croatia

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:03 PM

Beautifully shaped and designed ship with lots of nice details that make this moc so amazing and realistic. You truly are a moc expert, or i would say moc master.  :pir_yoda:

#30 Capt. Stabbin

Capt. Stabbin
  • Mister Captain Master


    Posts: 823
    Joined: 03-December 09
    Member: 8447
    Country: USA

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

Nice Job Derfel!  Another stunning masterpiece!



:jollyroger:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Posted Image


#31 brickmack

brickmack

    Posts: 850
    Joined: 22-July 10
    Member: 12146
    Country: America

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

Wow that's a beautiful MOC. In the first picture it looks like a proper model made of wood or something, not LEGO. Looks even better than in WIP.

#32 Darth Yogi

Darth Yogi
  • im from no-caps country


    Posts: 856
    Joined: 01-June 10
    Member: 11065
    Country: USA

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

That's just plain beautiful.  I love the texture from the whips, and the whole color scheme is very nice.

Great job :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image  
The Rabbit( MCW Contest entry)...........................Arrival on Tatooine...................................................Bail Organa's Airspeeder........................................Le Sans Fin

Flickr

#33 Norrington

Norrington
  • Azufre Village Idiot


    Posts: 2032
    Joined: 07-October 06
    Member: 1009
    Country: America

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:32 AM

I was waiting for someone else to bump this so I could finally post, lol.

This really is one of the most gorgeous "faux-minifig scale" ships I have ever seen.

Everything is executed brilliantly and smoothly--the tumble-home is particularly realistic and well-done. It is obviously based on common methods, but in ways that I've never really seen so much before.

The colour scheme, while based on period designs and simulating them very well (i.e., the red and green tooth pieces to represent the diagonal/jagged painting on the body).

The original ship is/was, it would seem, mostly unpainted originally, you represented very well by simply leaving the hull brown, but adding a separate "stripe" of reddish-brown added much more to it.

This is so extraordinary excellent, I really can't describe it. Just wonderful!
Just returned from a 3 or so year dark age, so just getting back into the swing of things. :)

0o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o0o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o0
~Proprieter of Norrington's Fine Minifig Clothiers. Please visit my thread .~
~My MOCpages~My Maj Gallery~My Fan-Fiction.net Gallery~My Photobucket~My Brickshelf~My Youtube~


#34 De Sandman

De Sandman

    Posts: 204
    Joined: 22-June 11
    Member: 18618
    Country: Holland

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:46 AM

WOW!!! :pir-wub: i love it....the best ship i've ever seen

HAIL AVALONIA!Siege Expert / High Chief Of Agriculture / Lord High Executioner

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image


Check my new ship the Prinses Nikki

My Brickshelf


#35 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.


    Posts: 1386
    Joined: 10-March 09
    Member: 5528
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:46 AM

View PostNorrington, on 15 August 2011 - 02:32 AM, said:

I was waiting for someone else to bump this so I could finally post, lol.

This really is one of the most gorgeous "faux-minifig scale" ships I have ever seen.

Everything is executed brilliantly and smoothly--the tumble-home is particularly realistic and well-done. It is obviously based on common methods, but in ways that I've never really seen so much before.

The colour scheme, while based on period designs and simulating them very well (i.e., the red and green tooth pieces to represent the diagonal/jagged painting on the body).

The original ship is/was, it would seem, mostly unpainted originally, you represented very well by simply leaving the hull brown, but adding a separate "stripe" of reddish-brown added much more to it.

This is so extraordinary excellent, I really can't describe it. Just wonderful!
Thankyou, I'm glad you picked up on the toothplates as that was the exact reason I chose to you them. I did originally decide to use all old brown, but a loot of parts I needed are not available in that colour, plus it's quite pricey. The red brown worked out quite nicely.  Well, it will take a while to build enough ships for a decent Spanish Armada sized battle, but I have sorted all the lists of parts I need for each ship and will use this ships design to work from. I go on holiday for 2 weeks next week and when I come back I have 3 weeks to get the second ship build in time for display at Steam show. I will take pictures of each point of construction and post them here for those who would like to build this sort of ship.  Many thanks for all your great comments!
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#36 qwarek7

qwarek7

    Posts: 30
    Joined: 01-May 10
    Member: 10473

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:58 PM

Classical beauty in it´s best. Extraordinary. Since I´m building my first ship myself temporarily (but just LDD)I know how hard it is to draw a clear and nice line on the hull on galeons and your´s is just perfect. Also the colors are some of the best I´ve ever seen.

#37 Flare

Flare
  • A phonemonanl speller


    Posts: 4928
    Joined: 01-July 10
    Member: 11759
    Country: Israel

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:02 AM

Gorgeous ship! Very nice work!

Posted Image Benji Carvenhall in Heroica RPG          Posted Image


#38 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!


    Posts: 5443
    Joined: 26-August 07
    Member: 1914
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:48 AM

Really a stunning ship, I wouldn't change the sails either!  :pir-wub:
I would love to see it in real life sometime, to see the effect of the tooth plates in person. (Or I could just try it myself of course ghehe.)

The only thing I really don't like is the glued parts on the stern, this sort of thing should only be done if it was invisible IMO.
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#39 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3028
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Beautiful ship! I really like the colours and the details on deck.
The sails also turned out very well, especially the sewn edges look very professional.
The rigging is also good and I think you found the perfect balance between realism and simplicity.
Somehow I feel like the mizzen mast could be improved a little more according to 'real' ships, and I'm not very fond of glueing either.
The real challenge is to find a good-looking, legal solution of course :pir-classic:
Anyway, I wish you good luck on your other ships and I can't wait to see an Armada lay-out! Your ship is also in the index :pir-sweet:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#40 Dark_Alamez

Dark_Alamez

    Posts: 54
    Joined: 20-July 11
    Member: 19159
    Country: Russia

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:55 AM

Have to leave a comment.
Maybe it's one of the best ships i've ever seen for now.
The work is really, really impressive. :thumbup:
Posted Image
My Flickr page

#41 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.


    Posts: 1386
    Joined: 10-March 09
    Member: 5528
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:20 PM

View PostCaptain Green Hair, on 19 August 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

Really a stunning ship, I wouldn't change the sails either!  :pir-wub:
I would love to see it in real life sometime, to see the effect of the tooth plates in person. (Or I could just try it myself of course ghehe.)

The only thing I really don't like is the glued parts on the stern, this sort of thing should only be done if it was invisible IMO.


View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 20 August 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

Beautiful ship! I really like the colours and the details on deck.
The sails also turned out very well, especially the sewn edges look very professional.
The rigging is also good and I think you found the perfect balance between realism and simplicity.
Somehow I feel like the mizzen mast could be improved a little more according to 'real' ships, and I'm not very fond of glueing either.
The real challenge is to find a good-looking, legal solution of course :pir-classic:
Anyway, I wish you good luck on your other ships and I can't wait to see an Armada lay-out! Your ship is also in the index :pir-sweet:

Thankyou for your kind words, I admit that I agree with both of you about the 'gluein'. It seemed like a good idea at first but when I look at it now it bugs me. Yes there are ways around it, I would have to make sloped walls on hinges so I can incorperate a 1x1 clip, instead of a sloped brick. They will stick out a bit but at least I dont have to worry about glueing them back on every time I knock them off!  The tooth plates do work well and are a much underused part for ships, they come in quite a few colours and you could create some great patterns with them.  Im working on new ship now, so I will make sure everything is legit on this one, as well as making the masts better. Thanks for you comments and advice, always appreciated.
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links