Stefanwest

What do people think is next?

I was curious what would people think the next release of a train or rolling stock could possibly be released next or maybe wishing what would be released. Personally I would like to see individual cars or track equipment. But I am afraid that we might not see anything new for a year or two.

I'm a great fan of trackside structures. A decently sized new railway station would be sweet (7937 is an abomination), or a cargo yard (again, bigger than the previous one please!). Or god forbid, LEGO made RC switchpoints.

- Sok.

well... what do kids play with most from the existing sets?... (and not what AFOLS' do).

Trackside structures would be great, but do kids really enjoy playing with them? We did get a station last year, and a level crossing. We have had two AFOL designed models - EN and Maersk; so another high level design is unlikely for at least another 2 years.

Separate cars / wagons never sold well in the past; and I am not aware of an iconic train in the world like Santa Fe (done), or Rio Grande equivalent which children love... Personally I would love to see a rendition of the 'Fire Trains (LRZ)' which I have various MOC's of. It would be a great cross over between train and fire themes.

There are floating rumours of a charging system, so perhaps a simplified engine shed with a light could be an occurance?... and with the complete success of the 'Winter' theme, a relevant cross over could also be envisaged for 2012. But I doubt things will be announced before then.

What about:

- put box 7996 (train rail crossing) back to production or something similar

- a large main station

- a winter village station and a new train engine shed (as roamingstudio suggested) :thumbup:

- some separated cars/wagon

- a new passenger train

It's been a couple of years since the last Holiday train, so maybe that's up next?

I'd like to see another passenger train, either something like a Canadian Rockies train (with some trees for scenery and more civilian minifigures like the Metroliner had - preferably new ones not available elsewhere).

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/sundaysun/jun2008/4/9/D3B91D81-AAD8-40D7-A9F691EA18B1BD10.jpg

or something Australian like the Ghan or Indian Pacific in Australia (with some kangaroos and a small Outback farm/outpost - this way more non-train collectors would be encouraged to buy the sets)

http://stalinsmoustache.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/legendary_ghan1.jpg

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/assets/images/article/journal/7438/indian_pacific_outback.jpg

(sorry not able to link the pictures correctly)

Hmm, I do not know what they would do next. The only thing I can think of is the train engine shed, as a special edition in the City range. I would love a remake of the 12 Volt Blue shunter, only with updated parts to accomodate PF. But that's ofcourse just wishfull thinking. I still think a monorail could be possible, but not for 2012 :classic:

Turntable and engine shed or engine maintenance facility with a train-wash?

Seperate cars, possibly coaches with lights?

A Signal box?

One of those old fashioned postal vans that collect and drop off sacks without the train stopping? I seem to recall a friend of mine having an HO version from somewhere or other when I was a lad.

An interesting comment on Bricksetwebsite...

Edit: mis-read the quote; I had thought 10173 would be re-released but guess im wrong.

Edited by roamingstudio

I'd guess it'll just follow the same pattern of passenger train, cargo train, station, small trackside crew and vehicle, level crossing, tracks. Unless Lego really push trains.

What I'd really really like to see is a decent overground city loop train. To serve the purpose of a shuttle round the city rather than chugging between cities like the last two passenger trains. And Separate carriages sold as an add-on.

And a multi-platform terminus station would be nice. A properly decent City station. bit of a concourse, large arrival/departure board and ticket office, snack kiosk and pay phones. then just a bunch of platforms with pillars holding up the roof. straight track and Bob's your lobster.

I would like to see a modern rendition of the highly sought-after 4555. I'd also like to see a new "claw" with rubber jaws to lift the now standard 6-wide containers, as having the 2x2 with loop for lifting with a hook looks bad and isn't realistic, IMO.

I've always enjoyed reading these types of threads in the other areas of EB so I'm definitely up for this one.

I agree with some that have already posted. We need new trackside structures, an engine house is overdue. It's so hard to imagine what Lego will really do but I'm hoping the success of the Emerald Night and Maersk will continue a yearly tradition. At least one new loco per year would be great. The last year or more has been train heavy so there should be a spike in those sales for TLC. I would like to see more thought go into the trackside structures and not the basic builds from the early 90's.

Who really knows what's going to happen but an engine house, yeah that sounds good to me.

I would be thrilled to see any cargo related trackside structures, but as a new train AFOL, I wish LEGO would revise their boxes of track. Having released 3 train sets so closely together, I am wanting as much straight track as I can get to increase my layout to run all my trains at the same time. Flex-track is useful, but I don't want it packaged with straights. And I would like to see a new Holiday train released also.

I wish LEGO would revise their boxes of track. Having released 3 train sets so closely together, I am wanting as much straight track as I can get to increase my layout to run all my trains at the same time. Flex-track is useful, but I don't want it packaged with straights.

Completely agree. The flex track is not one of Legos best moments.

A terminal station (as opposed to the train stop we have available now) would be a really good addition; but I have seen a lot of good MOC terminals out there. I'd prefer to build my own, personally.

A few good trackside industries would be interesting, but I dunno if they would otherwise be interesting enough for TLG to produce them. Probably another good MOC project.

A good switch tower (AKA signal box) would make for an interesting model. A Technic bridge as well.

With 7 defferent types of train / trainset available as well as the station and crossing I would be surprised to see any more train related items in the next few months?

I agree that a new Holiday train would be brilliant :sweet:

Where do you get that "7" figure from?

All I know of that are still being made are:

Maresk

red passenger train

freight train

new red maintanence train

Where do you get that "7" figure from?

All I know of that are still being made are:

Maresk

red passenger train

freight train

new red maintanence train

EN

Toy Story Train Chase

Hogwarts Express

... I guess :hmpf:

With the new 3677 Cargo Train, they will probably bring out another passenger train aswell. I would like to see TLG bring out individual rolling stock.

The interesting thing about recent train releases like Emerald Night, Maersk and even Red Cargo Train is that they have appeared without any real warning. A new train release could come anytime (not soon enough for my liking though).

While we're dreaming, how good would a train shed and PF turntable be? I've always had a soft spot for 7838 so a modern take on that freight depot would be great.

If history repeats itself I think we are due for another renaissance. The early 80's saw the boom in 12v trains and lots and lots of regular releases. The early 90's saw the 9v era and the mighty Metroliner, the early 00's bought the My First Train range of rolling stock and the mighty Santa Fe's... the early 10's need a healthy dose of the 80's! :tongue:

I would love to see;

A new Train Shed

a new Station

Rolling Stock

maybe one of those Road/Rail Trucks

a hand pump cart (lol)

Train signs (i.e. mile markers) and signals for the tracks.

More North American diesels

freight depot

Work crew figs (sold as 5 guys or something)

The ultimate would be a freight and/or switching yard

I could go on forever.

Edited by Brik-el

Perhaps something may appear sooner if it has more wide spread appeal

One example might be a Lego City Heavy Haulage low loader lorry with a small shunting engine as the load - it might appeal to those who don't already have a trainset, as well as those that do. There are some examples of what I was thinking of on this website

Edited by tbroyd

If we are being speculative... I personally dont see the likelihood of individual rolling stock being sold at the moment.

I have been surprised in the past, but with the collectible minifigs continueing until the unknown distant feature, we aren't

likely to see rolling stock. This is because each of the minifigs taks a SKU and Lego only puts out only so many SKU's per year.

As far as Thomas goes, and I know the poster wasnt serious with what he/she wrote, but Thomas is now being done by a certain

competing brand of construction toys for the forseeable future. There have been changes in licensing, so it isnt out of the

realm of possibility that Thomas could come back to being done by Lego.

I personally think that Lego has their hands full of licensed toys for the moment, with Disney (POTC, ToyStory, Cars), Warner Bros (Harry Potter), StarWars...

I would like to say that we should expect a new version of a passenger train in the next couple of years. I would like to see

if Lego were to put out a set of Pullman Passenger Cars for the Emerald Night, but that probably is not likely to happen, and

I'll probably have to make my own....