• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic  – Started by Sebeus I , Jul 30 2011 03:28 PM

#126 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 19 February 2012 - 02:05 PM, said:

I'm looking for alternatives for the black masts, most logical would be to use round 2x2 bricks I suppose.

That's what I would do, shouldn't be too hard I think, just put some axles in there.
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#127 Kookaburra Bomb

Kookaburra Bomb

Member: 20178

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 10 January 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Posted Image

Came to my mind earlier on that since the release of Lady Liberty in CMS6 that the spyglass part 64644 is now available in sand green.  Seeing the way you build (Which is fantastic by the way) You might have use for the crown, slope, and arms from the fig as well.  Just a thought.  Keep up the great work!

#128 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostKookaburra Bomb, on 28 February 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

Came to my mind earlier on that since the release of Lady Liberty in CMS6 that the spyglass part 64644 is now available in sand green.  Seeing the way you build (Which is fantastic by the way) You might have use for the crown, slope, and arms from the fig as well.  Just a thought.  Keep up the great work!
I haven't found the CMS 6 yet but it's very interesting indeed, the perfect sollution to use my design in the right color, must get six of them  :pir-classic:
The facial expression reminds me of the Black Pearl's idol and the crown could indeed be useful.

Update time:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As you can see I used the classic rigging pieces on the Dutchman, they aren't fully attached yet and I doubt I get a clean connection,
Most important reason I chose for these prefab parts is that I'm a noob with costum stuff but evetually it would be kind of nice if I could make this ship 100% official LEGO.

I might try costum rigging after all, it would look better...or not.
Another dilemma, what's more important, 100% lego or more accurate to the real thing ?

Posted Image

I also made two longboats, in the movies one is only used by Will turner to escape the Dutchman but that's it, even the crew of the FD doesn't use them to go from ship to land, appearently they rather swim  :pir-hmpf_bad:
I don't know where exactly I should put them on the ship either  :pir_wacko:

Anyway, next time I will have complete masts and finished stern.

Posted Image

btw, I have placed my old version of the FD on Cuusoo

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum, 08 March 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#129 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure

Member: 20080

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Fantastic! Posted Image Absolutely marvelous

Brown doesn't get very odd in the shrouds but doesn't belong there Posted Image I'm always up for custom things and if you don't have that much experience in that its time for improving Posted Image I don't see any advantages of getting a worser model but 100% Lego instead of a fantastic FD with fantastic rigging! Also the sails… I guess that you will have to go custom there anyway.

As for the longboats I don't recall the exact scene in the movies but I think that some larger boats would be better. I'm not saying Lego prefabs but IMO something at that scale. Their place should be in top of each other in that gap (don't recall its name right now Posted Image) you left in front of the main mast.

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf

#130 Bart

Bart

Member: 15679

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

Great work again Sebeus,
I really like what you did, but please give the custom rigging a try. You can always take it off again.

Also I tend to agree with Frank, that you longboats are a bit small.
I made a barge ones, but I think its to big for your FD. Click

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 08 March 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

(..) Their place should be in top of each other in that gap (don't recall its name right now you left in front of the main mast.

We had a discussion about this subject before and it is called the waist. But on a 'normal' ship that would the place to store the boats, but I don't recall them being there on the FD. Although the FD is a movie set, so there is no need for the film makers to be correct, and store the boats somewhere. They can just make them appear when needed.

Bart

Dus

my photos

#131 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

:pir-oh:  Has this been blogged already? No it hasn't. Time to change that!
Go to Classic-Pirates.com

The only advice I can give you is to consider making the mizzen mast with the same bricks as the other ones.
It will become a lot higher and I'm not sure if it will be sturdy enough.
But what a beauty it is!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#132 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 08 March 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

Brown doesn't get very odd in the shrouds but doesn't belong there Posted Image I'm always up for custom things and if you don't have that much experience in that its time for improving Posted Image I don't see any advantages of getting a worser model but 100% Lego instead of a fantastic FD with fantastic rigging! Also the sails… I guess that you will have to go custom there anyway.

As for the longboats I don't recall the exact scene in the movies but I think that some larger boats would be better. I'm not saying Lego prefabs but IMO something at that scale. Their place should be in top of each other in that gap (don't recall its name right now Posted Image) you left in front of the main mast.

View PostBart, on 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Great work again Sebeus,
I really like what you did, but please give the custom rigging a try. You can always take it off again.

Also I tend to agree with Frank, that you longboats are a bit small.
I made a barge ones, but I think its to big for your FD. Click

I'll give that costum rigging a try but don't expect much  :pir_laugh2:
Fortunatly there's a great tutoral in the index
For the longboats I intentionally kept them this small so they wouldn't take too much space on the ship. I think 5 bricks wide would be Ideal...but not so easy to acclompish either.
Unless I use brick-built boats like those of you, Bart but for smaller boats it will probably look too chunky.
I'll give it another try after I tried some rigging  :pir_laugh2:

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 09 March 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

:pir-oh:  Has this been blogged already? No it hasn't. Time to change that!
Go to Classic-Pirates.com

The only advice I can give you is to consider making the mizzen mast with the same bricks as the other ones.
It will become a lot higher and I'm not sure if it will be sturdy enough.
But what a beauty it is!

Thanks, the mizzen mast should have a smaller diameter, 2x2 is too big but 1x1 is too small so that mast piece was ideal. Maybe I can add some grey tiles via the technic holes to ressemble the color patern of the big mast more.
I could easely make it a bit higher by adding some round bricks under the mast piece, I'll try that first.

#133 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

So I did some costum rigging and I must admit, it looks a lot better than those prefab brown ladders I used earlier  :pir_laugh2:

Posted Image

Posted Image

All right, I'm not the most handy guy, ofcourse this is the flying dutchman, there's room for irregularities  :pir-tongue:

I made this picture to give you a better reference for the size of the ship, in my living room   :pir_laugh2:

Posted Image

The only things that remain are the sails, the cannons on the upper deck and the anchors.

Posted Image

This is the cannon design I'll use on the upper cannon deck, it would be ideal if I could make this in dark gray but unfortunatly I don't have the parts to accomplish that.

Posted Image

My first anchors were black but I might make them blend in more with the ship by using grey and tan.

Anyway, I don't think there will be more updates in this tread (9 pages  :pir-oh:  )
I'll be missing it though, when there are no more bricks to add, what should I do next ?
this is my first big project in the sense that I updated a WIP tread, I spent many months on it and it's my biggest in-one-piece creation.
Posting the progress of my ship here was a good Idea, I've got a lot of good suggestions and altered my design in the proces.
My dad asked me if this was the biggest lego ship ever build, I wish it was, ever since I joined classic-pirates I learned that there are some real leviathans around.
I'm happy with the size of my ship though, a total lenght of 129 studs, that's not so bad.
I will post the completed ship somewhere next month, maybe I'll wait till after the Lego event I'm attending the 21st of March (Brickmania) so if anyone lives in the neighborhood, that's your chance to see it for real  :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum, 11 March 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#134 Captain Black Brick

Captain Black Brick

Member: 15847

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Awsome! LOVE how you did the Quarter Galleries :pir-cry_happy:
"Quake in yer plastic boots Minifigure Swabs!
Captain Black Brick is here for your gold!"

#135 MikeHaggarKJ

MikeHaggarKJ

Member: 20763

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

Incredible! My mind is blown.

#136 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

You've convinced me on the mizzen mast :pir-classic:  I guess it will be stable enough.
The rigging looks quite good on the foremast, but you could consider using a different kind of rope.
I think the ropes would look a lot better suited if they were more tight.
It looks quite loose now which is a bit onfortunate on such a beautiful hull.
The knotting technique and the colour look okay so I think just another type or rope will do the trick.
It's just a suggestion but I wish you good luck anyways.
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#137 SuperSirLink

SuperSirLink

Member: 24013

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

Great Job!  Looking forward to seeing it fully completed!  :pir-blush:

#138 Captain Barbossa

Captain Barbossa

Member: 27299

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

This is absolutely incredible!! I can't believe that you have managed to do this with Legos.  My hat's off to you.  If only Lego would release something half this beautiful for the Dutchman (they would probably butcher it like they did with the Black Pearl).  I can't wait to see it once you have the sails on it.  Is it easy to access the interior?  How sturdy is it?  Keep up the great work!

#139 Piranha

Piranha
  • Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Oh, this is absolutely amazing! :thumbup: :shark:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#140 Sebeus I

Sebeus I

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostCaptain Barbossa, on 14 March 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

This is absolutely incredible!! I can't believe that you have managed to do this with Legos.  My hat's off to you.  If only Lego would release something half this beautiful for the Dutchman (they would probably butcher it like they did with the Black Pearl).  I can't wait to see it once you have the sails on it.  Is it easy to access the interior?  How sturdy is it?  Keep up the great work!
The interior can be accessed via the port side of the ship, which is open, there are no removeable decks though (except for the poop deck and the grates on the forecastle), I had to fix the decks to make it sturdier. It's sturdy enough to carry it around but because it's so big and heavy I wouldn't exactly call it swooshable  :pir_laugh2:

#141 Hass Kabal

Hass Kabal

Member: 21067

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Going great.
I'm very curious about the final version.
I wish you to do it sails very splendiferous...

#142 Legonardo

Legonardo
  • Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:54 AM

Amazing! when you finish up I'll pm you my address so that you can send it to me :pir_laugh2:

Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links