Sebeus I

Flying Dutchman WIP

I have come to point where I'm starting to run out of parts.

The design I have in mind is grande, a rough 15 procent larger than what I'm showing now.

I wanted to wait as long as possible with buying additional bricks and that was a good thing because I see there's quite some space for improvement already.

Anyway, this is what I've build so far:

dsc03630.jpg

She's a bit longer than my Black Pearl, taller but about the same width.

Either way she's an improvement compared to my first version of the Flying Dutchman. Back then I was under the impression that you can't build a ship without prefab hull parts :pir_laugh2:

dsc03631.jpg

The color sheme stayed mostly the same though I think the grey looks rather boring.

dsc03632.jpg

personally I'm disturbed by the long black line along the ships' side, I would have prefered grey or dark grey instead but I didn't have enough parts. Incase you were wondering, the black line is what makes the angle on the side, I used hinged car roof plates you see, they make a less agressive angle than the hinge plates as used in Captain Greenhairs' Frigate. I did that because the FD is much taller compared to a frigate.

dsc03643.jpg

I left one side of the ship open, you might find that cool so you can view the interior but the actual reason was that I don't have enough parts for a complete ship. On that note, you don't see the port side in the movies anyway.

Anyway there will be an interior

dsc03639.jpg

dsc03640.jpg

dsc03641.jpg

I had to reduce the size of the organ in order to make it fit in the captains' quarters, this might sound strange considering my previous Flying Dutchman was smaller yet it had a bigger organ. However, in the previous version the whole captains' quarter was situated on the gun deck, not where it is supposed to be.

I think the new organ looks nicer than the old one though.

dsc03644.jpg

The stern still needs a lot of work, there's no place on this ship where part selection is more critical.

dsc03638.jpg

But the bow needs the most work of all, apart from the fact that she's missing her "teeth" she could look a bit more elegant.

Now, I'm gonna have to order parts but I haven't made up my mind wether I'll finish this ship or start building an improved version right away.

You see I found a colorscheme that could work:

sample.jpg

A combination of old grey and dark grey, dark tan, trans. yellow and some dark green and trans. green accents, actually I'm not so sure about the trans. green anymore.

Oh well. C&C is appreciated.

I'm under the impression that the Flying Dutchman is a Galleon, correct me if I'm wrong on that and while you're at it I'm also confused about POTC Queen Anne's revenge, a ship I would say she's also a galleon.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Looks good :thumbup:! I remember seeing V1 on mocpages a while ago. I think you should switch to the new colorscheme though because the grey with repeating "leaves" is kind of bland to me.

Edited by Skipper

She looks pretty awesome to me already. I wouldn't to worried about the size. some more detail or randomness down the side may help though. "Queen Ann's Revenge", as seen in the film is obviously a redressed "Black Pearl" model/set, so what ever you figure she is, they're essentially the same.

This is looking quite good already. I like the shape and the fact that you're making it on a custom hull.

Somehow the ship is looking a bit too decent IMO. It doesn't have the worn-out look of the movie ship.

Some more dark grey bricks could do the trick but you could also try to make some more studs on the sides or something like that.

Outside of that I like where this is going so good luck!

Looking good already, your doing a great job with the stern. I do agree with others that the clean grey look is a bit bland. However, that new clourscheme you tested with the tans and trans looks awesome. I know it might mean having to order parts to do it, but it's definitely worth it as the end result will look awesome! Keep it up!

I'll check how much my new colorscheme would cost me :pir-cry_sad:

The whole ship will have to be rebuild, a bit wider and slightly longer, I noticed I forgot a gunport on both the gun deck and second gun deck.

hmmm, dark tan is a expensive color isn't it ? and old grey is too I suppose, considering that color isn't produced anylonger...

Either way, this will take more time to finish.

My ship is way too small for what I have in mind so I decided that this is only my test version.

I made some stern detail, not really accurate to the movie but unmistakably it's the Flying Dutchman :pir_laugh2:

stern_detail_1.jpg

stern_detail_2.jpg

I think I'll do something more serious on the final project, that atlantis fish figure is a bit silly I suppose.

There aren't any people minifigures on my stern either.

The new color scheme will have to wait for my larger and improved version.

My deadline is the 20st of April (2012) as I want to show it off at Brickmania Wetteren, a Belug event :pir_laugh2:

Nice Flying Dutchman

I've got my own LDD MOC of the Davy Jones Organ but somehow I can't post the images on the forum... :(

The Flying Dutchman is a Dutch Galleon according to Wikipedia.

I don't trust what wiki sais though I also think it is a galleon and quite a heavy one, I made a plan and came to a total of 52 (broadside) cannons :imperialguard_commander1:

wiki sais it the Dutchman was inspired by a Fluyt (dutch trading galleon) But according to the heavy weaponry I would rather say she's a little warship, the demon heads on the cannon ports, the triple guns, the agressive prow,... obviously this ship was designed for battle :pir-sweet:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

I don't trust what wiki sais though I also think it is a galleon and quite a heavy one, I made a plan and came to a total of 52 (broadside) cannons :imperialguard_commander1:

wiki sais it the Dutchman was inspired by a Fluyt (dutch trading galleon) But according to the heavy weaponry I would rather say she's a little warship, the demon heads on the cannon ports, the triple guns, the agressive prow,... obviously this ship was designed for battle :pir-sweet:

I think that was more in reference to hullshape and general styling rather than armament. Obviously they took the concept and ran with it (it is a ghost ship that submerges at will and is crewed by the damned, after all), but I think there's a pretty obvious influence.

I just received note that my bricklink order has been shipped, I can't wait to get started :pir-cry_happy:

in the meantime I have some more pictures;

1316160955m_DISPLAY.jpg

the interior plan I drew;

1316160887m_DISPLAY.jpg

The captain's quarters ( the new version will be spacier)

1316161064m_DISPLAY.jpg

While sketching the interior plan I came to the conclusion that the interior scenes don't match the exterior scenes in the movies, more specifically the captain's quarters, that's the reason why my captain's quarters looks rather small while in the movie it is big.

I'm sticking to my interior drawing, that makes the most realistic ship anyway.

This looks really good so far. I appreciate all the details you put into the stern. And I think the Organ is really well designed too! :pir-sweet:

I don't think Sebeus is only a good builder, but a mighty fine technical ship sketcher as well! :pir-wub: I love such things!

From what I can make up from the plan is the fact this ship is going to be magnificient, and beautiful, and huge-ish!

Especially if I see how your 'first versions' look like and the amount of detail you are putting in. Amazing.

I'm sure this will turn into an amazing vessel, especially to look at as you are using parts in such a creative way! I see parts in there from which I had never thought they would be useful on a ship!

My compliments! :pir-classic:

Love that drawing! But the organ is missing the black keys for me... it's easily done when sliding some black levers in those grates. :pir-sweet:

Edited by -zenn

Love that drawing! But the organ is missing the black keys for me... it's easily done when sliding some black levers in those grates. :pir-sweet:

true, I don't have a lot spare ones though, used on another piano :P

But I'll make sure they will be there on the final thing :pir-classic:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Check this out, it's a render of the Pirates of the Caribbean lego game Flying Dutchman;

6169229644_8e61d7da6d_z.jpg

Flying Dutchman for POTC game by bricktrix, on Flickr

Impressive work, I bet if they would sell that there would be quite a lot of interested.

If I recall, the game version of the black pearl looked better than the version they're selling soon :pirate_sad2:

Oh. My. God! Can someone please tell me if this is a dream? Or no, do not!

How did he ever managed to do that!? My words cant even say how real that looks. But i wish yours turs out good as that.

Captain Becker

Solidworks might be it, I've used that program quite a lot already and it's amazing.

I haven't used it for lego yet because I would have to build every single part first to make an assembly.

But I do think he has some kind of library containing all those parts.

Wow, I've looked at the flickr pictures and it seems legitimately all lego. I wonder if he created the model in LDD and then exported the data to Solidworks or something.

It'd be interesting to see if someone could build that in real life. I've found that the cruelest foe for any model is gravity. LDD is a zero-gravity environment, so you can build things that would fall apart or distort or stabilize in an unintended way if they were physical models. The detail on the beakhead in particular looks very delicate. It's quite the combination of new and old parts.

Looks very promising already!

I really like your ships most of the time.

Good Luck on your Dutchman!

Greetz Bjornu

I can't wait till this beauty is done! I think this is going to turn out great becuase the animal and plant pieces that you are using really help to belnd in with the ship to create an artistic feeling :pir-sweet:.

Edited by Hiawatha

The prototype has been demolished,

let's all keep a 5 minute silence to honor her...

In the meantime you can read through (in silence :pir-wink: )

Since my bricks arrived I have been building a new boat base, longer and wider.

I'm still in the stage of trying things out on this base before I continue towards the upper decks.

dsc04003.jpg

With the new color scheme I might even go without the dark green plant parts on the lower cannon ports (there are headlight bricks behind the jumper plates so they would make good eyes)

dsc04004.jpg

She may look a bit wide here but the proportions are correct, remember, there's the tumblehome to consider.

The yellow looks terrible in it, I'll cover it with grey and dark tan plates later.

As you might have already noticed there's no lower deck, no brig and hold.

I thought about making the cross section of my Flying Dutchman the same way as I did on my black pearl cut-out (Hello Beastie)

That would mean the ship would be on a water section...

I figured it is complicated enough already.

I'll keep the idea in the back of my head, for later perhaps.

dsc04006.jpg

I'm still experiencing problems with the prow, probably the most problematic part of the whole ship.

I'd like more dark tan in the ship but I must be carefull I'll have enough left to make the upper parts.

I'm pretty satisfied with the boat base, I could make a ship of the line on it, the flying dutchman has 20 cannons on the lower gun deck but I could easely add another 12 :pir_laugh2:

Oh well, better stick to the original, the FD happens to have these long galleries.

Any suggestions are welcome, especially now, as this is the most critical phase of the building proces, the shape of the ship.

I apologize for picture quality, part of my house is being rebuild (after being demolished), the place I used to take picture on just doesn't excist any longer :jollyroger:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Looks great, and not too wide at all. Most large lego ships are very thin due to the use of the prefab hull sections, so I think people are used to seeing them that way.

If it were me I might make the curve of the bows a bit finer. Even if you're trying to stay close to the movie version, I think the lines are probably up to you. I've seen plans for the floating set but I believe that it is quite distorted as it was used for filming and not for the CG macro shots.