Jump to content


Help building front and rear suspension for a standard car


11 replies to this topic

#1 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi, i am a bit of a technic newb and i was wondering if someone could help me with building front and rear suspension for a standard car (RWD with front steering. If someone could inform me what parts are necessary and also some instructions or detailed photos (lots of angles) then it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
RS

Edited by LuxorV, 28 July 2011 - 05:06 PM.
Changed title to more informative one


#2 efferman

efferman

    Posts: 2852
    Joined: 03-May 10
    Member: 10499
    Country: Germany

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

which size should have the Car?
http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=471798
or
http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=472779
or
http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=468753
or something like this?
http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=458760
or are you interested in trucks?
http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=383555
need some vitamin ABS intravenously?
Volvo L350F replica
effe on shapeways.com

#3 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

I was aiming more for a sports car like this

#4 Nazgarot

Nazgarot

    Posts: 306
    Joined: 07-June 11
    Member: 18331
    Country: Norway

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hi,

Take a look at this page, and search for instructions for set number 8070, 8653, 8880, 8458, 8448, 8297.

They might give you some ideas. There is also several threads on super cars, and large scale cars in this forum with links to a lot of MOCs. Just search around a little. If you want to look at the instructions for older sets peeronmight be a good place to start.

Depending on scale there is also a lot of ideas for very original suspension/steering setups floating around. Search the forum for suspention or steering and see what pops up...

Good luck.


PS: We are of course expecting to see some WIP (Work in progress) pics once you have started the build.  :wink:
PS2: LDD or other Lego DAC programs might be a good help for studless building.


-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot, 26 July 2011 - 09:51 PM.

We are traveling through time, forward... That is an amazing prospect.

#5 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

View PostNazgarot, on 26 July 2011 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hi,

Take a look at this page, and search for instructions for set number 8070, 8653, 8880, 8458, 8448, 8297.

They might give you some ideas. There is also several threads on super cars, and large scale cars in this forum with links to a lot of MOCs. Just search around a little. If you want to look at the instructions for older sets peeronmight be a good place to start.

Depending on scale there is also a lot of ideas for very original suspension/steering setups floating around. Search the forum for suspention or steering and see what pops up...

Good luck.


PS: We are of course expecting to see some WIP (Work in progress) pics once you have started the build.  :wink:
PS2: LDD or other Lego DAC programs might be a good help for studless building.


-ED-

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated. Budget is a bit tight at the moment but i promise if the build gets going to upload some WIP pics and hopefully the final product  :sweet:

#6 Nazgarot

Nazgarot

    Posts: 306
    Joined: 07-June 11
    Member: 18331
    Country: Norway

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

View PostRejectedShrimp, on 26 July 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

Thanks for the help it is much appreciated. Budget is a bit tight at the moment but i promise if the build gets going to upload some WIP pics and hopefully the final product  :sweet:

I would recommend to get the 8070 Supercar if you need a lot of pieces. It will probably be cheaper than buying them all from Bricklink, and it is actually a very good set that incorporate a lot of techniques that might come in handy building a supercar MOC.

-ED-
We are traveling through time, forward... That is an amazing prospect.

#7 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Ok i have just gained my first batch of parts from bricklink and i was wondering is it possible to build the engine without the end parts (part no. 32333).

#8 Nazgarot

Nazgarot

    Posts: 306
    Joined: 07-June 11
    Member: 18331
    Country: Norway

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

View PostRejectedShrimp, on 28 July 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

Ok i have just gained my first batch of parts from bricklink and i was wondering is it possible to build the engine without the end parts (part no. 32333).

It should be. Se the instructions for some older cars (8850 for example) to see how a V-block can be made with studed parts.

If you want to make a flat or in line block it should be even easier.

(A star engine is a bit tougher, but doable. Of course it's quite unheard of in a car...)

-ED-

Edited by Nazgarot, 28 July 2011 - 12:45 PM.

We are traveling through time, forward... That is an amazing prospect.

#9 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostNazgarot, on 28 July 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

It should be. Se the instructions for some older cars (8850 for example) to see how a V-block can be made with studed parts.

If you want to make a flat or in line block it should be even easier.

(A star engine is a bit tougher, but doable. Of course it's quite unheard of in a car...)

-ED-
Thank you so much i now have an eight cylinder engine ready

#10 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:28 PM

I have built an auto-center steering module now using the hockey slap spring box. I now was wondering if i attached a motor would it be able to go both directions (forward/Reverse) or if an extra component is needed. As you can tell i have never used power functions before :grin:


RS

#11 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:52 PM

@ RejectedShrimp:  There was a previous topic that discussed the return-to-center steering.  The Power Functions Medium motor clips onto the hockey spring.

Posted Image

To learn more about the Power Functions System, visit the official Powerfunctions.Lego.com website.  Be sure to look at the "Frequently-Asked Questions" (FAQ) page.

Posted Image

Mahjqa made Building Instructions for an "Intermediate Power Functions Chassis" which has a different method for return-to center steering.  You may enjoy building it:

Posted Image

Edited by DLuders, 29 July 2011 - 07:59 PM.


#12 RejectedShrimp

RejectedShrimp

    Posts: 225
    Joined: 29-January 11
    Member: 15714

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

the first image is what i have replicated as google showed a topic on here from last year.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users