legotrainfan

12V train wheels with a red pin

I've recently bought a 12V set on bricklink. I was a bit surprised when I got it, because the black 12V wheels are not entirely black; they have a red pin at their centre. Afterwards, I searched for 12V wheels on bricklink to find out if there are actually two types of 12V felts, but I just found one seller who sells them with a red pin. Click here for the picture:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=2&q=4180c01&viewFrom=sa&sz=25&searchSort=P

I've recently bought a 12V set on bricklink. I was a bit surprised when I got it, because the black 12V wheels are not entirely black; they have a red pin at their centre. Afterwards, I searched for 12V wheels on bricklink to find out if there are actually two types of 12V felts, but I just found one seller who sells them with a red pin. Click here for the picture:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=2&q=4180c01&viewFrom=sa&sz=25&searchSort=P

I have a set of wheels like this that I purchased new from Lego Supplimentary (the yellow bit in the back of the catalogue) back in the eighties. I bought two packs and one had the red pins. I should have complained at the time but its probably a bit late now! I assume it was a manufacturing error.

I have a few with red center pins, not found a pattern in their origin yet :)

Edited by Sokratesz

I have a few with red center pins, not found a pattern in their origin yet :)

I got red pins in all the wheels in a MISB 7735 that I bought last year.

Not sure if that was intended or not.

When the pin has a different color from the wheel it means that the original pin was broken and badly replaced :angry:

You have to register a complaint :thumbdown:

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case, the wheels are in perfect shape and it doesn't look as if they were ever damaged or repaired.

When the pin has a different color from the wheel it means that the original pin was broken and badly replaced :angry:

You have to register a complaint :thumbdown:

Good luck getting TLG Customer Service to replace those for you... I know they are good; but that good? :devil:

I'm pretty sure that this is not the case, the wheels are in perfect shape and it doesn't look as if they were ever damaged or repaired.

I have severals wheels and no one with the wrong pins :hmpf_bad:

Sometimes I wash my wheels from dust and loop pile carpet removing the pin; after the re-assembling phase it isn't possible to distinguish what it was made :wink:

Good luck getting TLG Customer Service to replace those for you... I know they are good; but that good? :devil:

I have spare 12V wheels in case you need some. Then again, maybe you want to keep the red pins, makes your train quite unique!

I'm pretty sure this was just a manufacturing variation, as Brickaroo has said these came in MISB sets. I've also seen them from sources where no replacement or repair has been made.

The set photos I've seen only show all black, or all red wheel sets, so I assume the red pins were used on black wheels later in production, perhaps to overcome a shortage of black pins.

i have a 7745 set bought new with red pins

:thumbup:

Edited by pispo

I got red pins in all the wheels in a MISB 7735 that I bought last year.

Not sure if that was intended or not.

With me the same set is concerned. It is also a MISB set.

Hello,

I also have 12v wheels with a red pin normally there was a production of some models with a red pin. I will check it with a friend how told me the story.

I checked it with my friend and he told me that there was a shortage of black pins in 1986. So Lego put red one in the place. So for models produced around 1986, it is possible that they have red pins.

I had a 7821 with red pins and an other friend has a 7745 whit red pins.

I hope this was helpful.

Greetings,

Christophe

Edited by Christophe Meurrens

Hello,

I also have 12v wheels with a red pin normally there was a production of some models with a red pin. I will check it with a friend how told me the story.

I checked it with my friend and he told me that there was a shortage of black pins in 1986. So Lego put red one in the place. So for models produced around 1986, it is possible that they have red pins.

I had a 7821 with red pins and an other friend has a 7745 whit red pins.

I hope this was helpful.

Greetings,

Christophe

That could be very possible. I also have some of them and they all came with either the 7735 or 7745. I've also seen them many times in Ebay auctions and every time as part of these two sets.

my original set 7823 came with red pins in the wheels of the car.