Jump to content


10179 UCS Falcon Pricing


445 replies to this topic

#426 Sir_Basil_Ashton

Sir_Basil_Ashton

    Posts: 847
    Joined: 29-December 11
    Member: 23619
    Country: Italia

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostSam892, on 10 March 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

Bit optimistic on the price lol. If anyone buys it at that price has a loose brick in their head
I'd say that person has more than just a loose brick in their head.

#427 Aeroeza

Aeroeza

    Posts: 296
    Joined: 27-February 09
    Member: 5414

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostSir_Basil_Ashton, on 10 March 2012 - 03:17 AM, said:


I'd say that person has more than just a loose brick in their head.

... and plain wrong (or simply endorsing misinformation for financial gain). More than 10,000 collector editions of 10179 were released so we can add 'opportunism' or idiocy to his lunacy!!

Still, if it sells then I'm happy to eat humble pie. It will be a stunning reminder that there is always an even 'looser' brick out there!!!  :sick:

Gauisus construo ullus imperiosus apparatus!

EGO venit , EGO lego , EGO disputatio Mortesv...


#428 legotrader

legotrader

    Posts: 49
    Joined: 23-December 11
    Member: 23475

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

View Postbensl, on 09 March 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

i think we have a winner....

http://www.ebay.com....=item4cfec4afb2

Well while this isn't as bad as $10K, its still bad!
http://www.brickpick...llennium_falcon
Posted Image

#429 Appswasere

Appswasere

    Posts: 33
    Joined: 16-December 11
    Member: 23205

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

View Postlegotrader, on 10 March 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Well while this isn't as bad as $10K, its still bad!
http://www.brickpick...llennium_falcon
HA, and by the looks of it the box was damaged too :thumbup:

#430 jasonsmith

jasonsmith

    Posts: 77
    Joined: 29-May 11
    Member: 18116
    Country: Canada eh!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:19 AM

View Postlegotrader, on 10 March 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

Well while this isn't as bad as $10K, its still bad!
http://www.brickpick...llennium_falcon

I can't help but wonder if crazy auctions like that are a scam to drive up the average eBay sale price.
My Illuminated UCS Falcon - http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1256070

#431 Handoyo

Handoyo

    Posts: 20
    Joined: 12-February 12
    Member: 26194

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Could be a troll buyer

#432 Appswasere

Appswasere

    Posts: 33
    Joined: 16-December 11
    Member: 23205

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:20 AM

View PostHandoyo, on 12 March 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

Could be a troll buyer
It said that the listing was ended by the seller, maybe it was just a typo :sceptic:

#433 jasonsmith

jasonsmith

    Posts: 77
    Joined: 29-May 11
    Member: 18116
    Country: Canada eh!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:13 AM

Well I finally got around to building it after collecting all the pieces many moons ago. I went one step further and added lighting. I wanted to go Lego only which posed a challenge both logistically and financially. There are 28 LED's (14 Lego light kits), with a bunch of both 20" and 8" Lego PF Extension cables. It all runs off of one battery box. The photographer in me has checked out so for the time being here is a quick and dirty video showing the lights. It's taken from my Galaxy Nexus phone so please don't mind the quality. It's also taken in the dark with no audio other than ambient noise. Not the greatest video but you'll get the point.

I'll post up some good quality pics when I can.


Edited by jasonsmith, 08 April 2012 - 05:19 PM.

My Illuminated UCS Falcon - http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1256070

#434 Lobot

Lobot

  • Needs Some Green


    Posts: 1223
    Joined: 01-June 11
    Member: 18202
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

View Postjasonsmith, on 08 April 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Well I finally got around to building it after collecting all the pieces many moons ago. I went one step further and added lighting. I wanted to go Lego only which posed a challenge both logistically and financially. There are 28 LED's (14 Lego light kits), with a bunch of both 20" and 8" Lego PF Extension cables. It all runs off of one battery box. The photographer in me has checked out so for the time being here is a quick and dirty video showing the lights. It's taken from my Galaxy Nexus phone so please don't mind the quality. It's also taken in the dark with no audio other than ambient noise. Not the greatest video but you'll get the point.

I'll post up some good quality pics when I can.



Hi, this looks really nice, well done!  :classic:   Please can you include some photos showing how you connected the LEDs to the engine section.  I've been wanting to modify mine for a while (since I saw Marshall_Banana's version) and I'd like to go via the 'purist' Lego route as well!

  
Posted Image

my flickr


#435 jasonsmith

jasonsmith

    Posts: 77
    Joined: 29-May 11
    Member: 18116
    Country: Canada eh!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:09 AM

View PostLobot, on 08 April 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Hi, this looks really nice, well done!  :classic:   Please can you include some photos showing how you connected the LEDs to the engine section.

I'll take some pics when I take it apart. You know what though... I too sat around thinking and thinking about how I was going to make it work, looking back and forth at the manual etc. In the end it was easy when I decided to just do it rather than think about it. Give it a go, you'll be happy you did.

Here are some pics as promised: As stated before, 100% Lego. About an extra $100 bucks or so in lights, cables etc but well worth it for such a spectacular model. Oh and sorry for the dirty pics, I think my sensor is dusty.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
My Illuminated UCS Falcon - http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1256070

#436 Lobot

Lobot

  • Needs Some Green


    Posts: 1223
    Joined: 01-June 11
    Member: 18202
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the photos, very nice work!  

I'm intrigued as to how you did this; is it anything like my attempt below? (obviously with the 2x3 plates & bricks replaced with trans-clear!).  I used a 1 x 2 clear brick - the LED is slightly off-centre but it seems to work.

Did you remove the dark-grey technic beams & pins as they don't look like they do much in terms of strength?  Also, did you use trans-clear or trans-light blue?  Cheers, Robin  :classic:

Posted Image

  
Posted Image

my flickr


#437 fyrmedhatt

fyrmedhatt

    Posts: 246
    Joined: 10-June 10
    Member: 11384
    Country: USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

View Postjasonsmith, on 15 April 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

I'll take some pics when I take it apart. You know what though... I too sat around thinking and thinking about how I was going to make it work, looking back and forth at the manual etc. In the end it was easy when I decided to just do it rather than think about it. Give it a go, you'll be happy you did.

Here are some pics as promised: As stated before, 100% Lego. About an extra $100 bucks or so in lights, cables etc but well worth it for such a spectacular model. Oh and sorry for the dirty pics, I think my sensor is dusty.



That is absolutely gorgeous! It make me want to plop down $2100 for a Falcon and lights right now, as it is just sooo spectacular. Very impressively done, especially since it's purist.

Don't worry about the photos as your skills as a photographer far overshadows any technical glitches with the equipment - they're beautiful!

#438 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21311
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:05 PM

That's awesome. :wub_drool:

The light streaming out onto the landing struts and out of the boarding hatch give an incredible effect to the complete look of the Falcon. I love the fact that you've taken the time to do this with only LEGO's lighting, too.

Posted Image

#439 jasonsmith

jasonsmith

    Posts: 77
    Joined: 29-May 11
    Member: 18116
    Country: Canada eh!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for the kinds words fellas, appreciate it. No need to spend a whole pile of money. This was a BrickLink project with the important bits purchased through Lego. I think with the lights I came in around the $750-$800 mark. All new parts and 100% accurate color. The only things I don't have is the 30th anny sticker and the certificate.

View PostLobot, on 15 April 2012 - 10:43 AM, said:

Thanks for the photos, very nice work!  

I'm intrigued as to how you did this; is it anything like my attempt below? (obviously with the 2x3 plates & bricks replaced with trans-clear!).  I used a 1 x 2 clear brick - the LED is slightly off-centre but it seems to work.

Did you remove the dark-grey technic beams & pins as they don't look like they do much in terms of strength?  Also, did you use trans-clear or trans-light blue?  Cheers, Robin  :classic:

http://www.brickshel...IP/img_2085.jpg

Not quite like your attempt although I like your method better. Yes you will need the 2x3 clear plates but also get some 1x2 clear plates as the 2x3's are hard to find and there is no need to have 3 2x3's stacked on each other when you could stack 2 on top of the 1x2's. Your lights need to be dead center to each of the blue/clear plate packs or the lights will be seen at angles.

Yes I removed the existing technic beams and replaced them with connectors to attach to longer beams to so the lights simply just plugged into the back. The path from your lights to the trans clear engine modules needs to be straight on and center, so when aligning the beam in the back there really is only one place it can go so it all works out.

I used trans-clear, they give a "jewel" sort of look into the trans blue tiles.

The only issue per se was the outer most engine modules because they have the technic lift beams attached to connect to the main structure for support. That lift beams on each side need to be there but I think I rotated mine and moved it over a hole to make room for the lights. You'll see when you get to that point. I'm a Technic guy so I have a ton of Technic bits to choose from, if you have some kicking around it won't be a big deal.

Build the whole thing first though so you know how and why it's put together the way it is then do your modding.

I'm sure you will all find a better way of doing it. In the end though what ever you do back there won't be seen, the structure hides it all very well.

The unofficial, maybe not required depending on your style Parts List:

Battery Box
Lights
Extension Cables
2x3 Trans-Clear Plates
1x2 Trans Clear Plates
Technic Beams (1x13??)(1x5??)
Technic Connectors

View PostBrickdoctor, on 15 April 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

That's awesome. :wub_drool:

The light streaming out onto the landing struts and out of the boarding hatch give an incredible effect to the complete look of the Falcon. I love the fact that you've taken the time to do this with only LEGO's lighting, too.

Posted Image

Awesome! thank you.

Edited by jasonsmith, 15 April 2012 - 07:22 PM.

My Illuminated UCS Falcon - http://www.eurobrick...dpost&p=1256070

#440 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3720
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

View Postjasonsmith, on 15 April 2012 - 06:09 AM, said:

Posted Image

Just wanted to point out this pic, it really reminds me of the Space Slug Cave in ESB :thumbup:, Absolutely wonderful job on the lighting.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#441 Lobot

Lobot

  • Needs Some Green


    Posts: 1223
    Joined: 01-June 11
    Member: 18202
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

Just to prove that there are some bargains about if you look around: (link here).  I'm amazed how little this sold for; it looks like there's a few bits missing (the feet, for example!), but still a bargain  :classic:

  
Posted Image

my flickr


#442 BobBongo1895

BobBongo1895

    Posts: 164
    Joined: 08-January 12
    Member: 23939
    Country: Germany

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

Damn good lighting!
Posted Image

#443 llenroccc

llenroccc

    Posts: 27
    Joined: 22-August 12
    Member: 30523

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

I really hope TLG will resale or at least sale a modified version of this...

#444 The_Chosen_1

The_Chosen_1

  • Keeps the ending secret


    Posts: 1386
    Joined: 11-June 11
    Member: 18398
    Country: USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

You said the exact same thing in the other UCS Falcon thread.  Why resurrect this one that's almost a year old...?
Never tell me the odds!

#445 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

  • Honest as Abe


    Posts: 1792
    Joined: 17-April 09
    Member: 5831
    Country: USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

View PostThe_Chosen_1, on 05 December 2012 - 09:48 PM, said:

You said the exact same thing in the other UCS Falcon thread.  Why resurrect this one that's almost a year old...?

In fairness, the previous post in the thread was made just slightly less than two-thirds of a year ago, which I think is a bit of a stretch to call "almost a year" old (unless you're referring to the time the thread was started, which is well over a year earlier, but I'm not sure why that would be important)...

#446 mortesv

mortesv

    Posts: 363
    Joined: 21-December 11
    Member: 23416
    Country: Denmark

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

View Postcavegod, on 19 February 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

gonna pop mine on ebay for £4000 BIN i will even deliver it anywhere in uk lol

Hmmm, guess I'll have to sell mine for 5000 then - it is only fair, because it has at least 500 more bricks :P
The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...
          - between your Lego and discussing with Aeroeza!



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users