Jump to content


MOC: Steampunk Monorail


23 replies to this topic

#1 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

I made a monorail! :grin: Yay! This is the "fire-dust" hauling monorail from a story I'm writing called "The Book of the Ancients" on my website. We'll see that some time soon, I hope. :blush: This is the first MOC from my recent revamping of the original story. I had a number of settings built and the story was originally supposed to be Castle themed, but since my skill as a builder and writer have improved, I've moved the setting to a Steampunk world. So, without further babbling, here it is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, there it is. If you'd like to see more check out the gallery on Flickr.

I would've like to have brought a monorail like this to Brickworld, but I ran out of time and had to bring this one:

Posted Image

...which was eventually known as "Hinckley's too big dick that Quarryman broke." Quarryman is always touching other people's toys without asking permission and I find that violating. :hmpf_bad: Anyway, the other MOC I brought, the FABULAND Pig Temple pictured there will also be re-built into a "Book of the Ancients" MOC...soon...ish. :blush:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#2 hueybricks

hueybricks

    Posts: 25
    Joined: 27-June 11
    Member: 18710
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:34 AM

Very nice, good work. :thumbup:

#3 Hoboman

Hoboman

    Posts: 581
    Joined: 14-July 10
    Member: 12005
    Country: USA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:02 AM

Reminds me of the small gage trains used in the colonial africa times. Most were open and used to haul materials. I could just see this on a coloney on Mars etc.  :laugh:

The true reason for life is to bring joy to others, thus finding joy in yourself.
"What do you mean I lost another Battle?"


#4 Guss

Guss

  • One armed pirate


    Posts: 2649
    Joined: 05-September 08
    Member: 3895
    Country: Switzerland

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

I think it looks more Futuristic/cyberpunk that steampunk but that's a great moc anyway , and you stole my idea ! ( I don't know how did you do to read my mind but I was planning to build a steampunk monorail! one day or another)

Oh, and the pillars are excellent too!

Edited by Guss, 12 July 2011 - 07:20 AM.

Posted Image

#5 LuxorV

LuxorV

  • Will Cat Accordingly.


    Posts: 6315
    Joined: 11-July 07
    Member: 1771
    Country: Italy

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:09 AM

It really looks gorgeous, Hinckley :wub:

I was a bit surprised to learn this Steampunk MOC was built for The Book of the Ancients, but then I read the rest and now I understand your reasons, also considering some other (more or less) recent MOCs of yours.

So we'll be seeing The Book of the Ancients soon(-ish)? Very good news :thumbup:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide


Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr


#6 Artanis I

Artanis I

  • Who's Friggin' Dan?


    Posts: 2492
    Joined: 28-May 10
    Member: 10965
    Country: Australia

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Train looks awesome :thumbup: , but like others I don't think it's overly "steampunk". Take away the driver and you wouldn't know at all. Maybe to make it more steamy you would need more propellers, gears, or things with steam coming out of them. Rusty looking colours interspersed would add to that too.

That said, it looks really cool regardless, and I like how you've worked in an extra section. I like the pillars too. :thumbup:

PS love the sig, haha :laugh:

Edited by Artanis I, 12 July 2011 - 09:18 AM.

Lego is not a dirty word

#7 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

    Posts: 9541
    Joined: 04-February 09
    Member: 5203
    Country: PILIPINAS

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

Great monorail build Hinck, and definitely much better than "the your big one that Quarryman broke." :tongue: I really don't mind if it's not too Steampunk-ish because it's cool-looking afterall, I love the overall mechanical design of this one. :thumbup:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages


#8 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Doing the Chicken Dance


    Posts: 19611
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

AWESOME creation 'Hinckley', I agree with 'Kiel-Da-Man' slightly steam-punkish ! :wink:
But still great monorail.....Brick On ! :grin:

#9 Big Cam

Big Cam

  • A good mood, too.


    Posts: 13999
    Joined: 02-April 09
    Member: 5701
    Country: USA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:35 PM

Great MOC, I always wanted the monorail set when I was a little boy. It was like the holy grail of LEGO sets. I really like your version, it has an industrial feel to it, and kind of makes me think of Star Wars.  Of course most things do. I'm interested on your story, and will definitely check it out.

#10 tchuk-norst

tchuk-norst

    Posts: 267
    Joined: 28-May 10
    Member: 10960

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

Very nice, I love the flow of the design.

#11 Rufus

Rufus

  • Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!


    Posts: 5039
    Joined: 15-July 09
    Member: 6705
    Country: England

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:44 PM

Hey, that's nice!  I agree not really steampunky (insufficient brown for that :grin: ) but it certainly has a workmanlike appeal, while at the same time using some tasteful greebling - particularly the cheese graters on the sides. :wub:

I also like how you've used those half-cylinders as hoppers - and they even tip!  :cry_happy:

#12 icy brick

icy brick

    Posts: 119
    Joined: 23-December 10
    Member: 14848
    Country: Finland

Posted 12 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

That´s some nasty mood monorail  :grin:

Edited by icy brick, 12 July 2011 - 07:18 PM.

Signature... what Signature... right the Signature...

#13 -zenn

-zenn

  • Hoverbikes+Cycles+Hot Rods Expert


    Posts: 942
    Joined: 04-April 10
    Member: 10143
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 12 July 2011 - 10:56 PM

View PostArtanis I, on 12 July 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

Train looks awesome :thumbup: , but like others I don't think it's overly "steampunk". Take away the driver and you wouldn't know at all. Maybe to make it more steamy you would need more propellers, gears, or things with steam coming out of them. Rusty looking colours interspersed would add to that too.

Agreed. it needs some work in my opinion.
Posted Image

#14 Scouty

Scouty

  • [not worthy of classic film title]


    Posts: 7901
    Joined: 24-July 06
    Member: 863

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:09 AM

Great monorail! Simple looking build with some lovely greebly bits.

When I first saw it (on Flickr) I didn't think of steam punk, but rather something of a futuristic city.

Great build, nevertheless :classic:
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#15 has a differing opinion

has a differing opinion

    Posts: 158
    Joined: 13-July 11
    Member: 19004

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Very nice! It doesn't seem very steampunk-ish(Is that a word?) but it reminds me of iron ore trains.

#16 Bricks2000

Bricks2000

    Posts: 320
    Joined: 06-November 10
    Member: 14098
    Country: Indonesia

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

A fantastic creation, Hinckley! I like the look of it.

Let's hope "The Book of the Ancients" get finished soon.
Go Bluecoats!

Posted Image
Now playing Died as Marcus Mouse (scum) in Mafia School: Fabuland Housewives.

my brickshelf:
http://www.brickshel...gi?m=Bricks2000

#17 Fugazi

Fugazi

  • Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?


    Posts: 3930
    Joined: 08-January 10
    Member: 8966
    Country: Canada

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Wow! :thumbup: I'm not familiar with whatever-punk nomenclature, but I love the gritty and retro-futuristic feel of this MOC! Well, not gritty like Alopex's New London but like industrial machinery in daily use. I don't know where your Ancients tales will take you, but somewhere down the road I'd love to see the factory this monorail is part of! The rail support pillars are perhaps a preview of nice things to come!
New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#18 Pandora

Pandora

  • Hide the Zebras!


    Posts: 3900
    Joined: 05-February 11
    Member: 15845
    Country: UK

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

At first glance this looks to be composed of quite a few larger pieces, but on careful closer inspection it's surprising just how many little details there are and those details make this monorail very interesting to me. :thumbup:

The contrast between the grey colour scheme of the monorail and the trans-orange ore in the hoppers is stark, and works really well.  I'd love to see this monorail in motion as I think that would enhance the contrast further.

I'm looking forward to the Book of the Ancients, too.  :sweet:
Heroica RPG - Nyx Level 30.25 BattleMage

in girum imus nocte et consumimur igni



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


A link to all my Reviews and other stuff about me can be found on my "About Me" page, and pics are on flickr


#19 Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac

  • Swings in the right weather conditions


    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 03-October 10
    Member: 13585
    Country: Australia

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

Great to see some more of your work Hinckley. Love your FBG creations and I hope to see more of your wok in steam/cyber punk genres too, hell you could give us some space punk to gork at while you're at it.....so there's my wish list for Hinck.Posted Image

The train is very nice in it's no nonsense, straight to the point, work horse appearance.

May you be touched by his noodly appendage
Posted Image Posted Image
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials| Eurobricks FAQ


#20 Legostein

Legostein

  • I'm a million!


    Posts: 1890
    Joined: 06-April 07
    Member: 1505
    Country: Germany

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hello!

What really fascinates me here, are the many great grille sections! Grilled tiles, slopes brick, TECHNIC gear and even self-built grille techniques. This gives the monorail a perfect steampunk look! :sweet:

Cheers,

~ Chris
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#21 Ras 74

Ras 74

  • Prince of PM´s


    Posts: 3683
    Joined: 27-November 04
    Member: 114
    Country: Sweden

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

I like the very futuristic look to your Monorail. Looks really good!
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Please read the
Members Guidelines and check the Tutorials Index

Brickshelf Gallery

#22 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:38 PM

View PostLuxorV, on 12 July 2011 - 08:09 AM, said:

It really looks gorgeous, Hinckley :wub:

I was a bit surprised to learn this Steampunk MOC was built for The Book of the Ancients, but then I read the rest and now I understand your reasons, also considering some other (more or less) recent MOCs of yours.

So we'll be seeing The Book of the Ancients soon(-ish)? Very good news :thumbup:
Yes, I've changed the concept. Well, at least the original setting. Characters and locations have been reduced, just so that it has even the slightest chance of ever being published.

View PostArtanis I, on 12 July 2011 - 09:17 AM, said:

Train looks awesome :thumbup: , but like others I don't think it's overly "steampunk". Take away the driver and you wouldn't know at all. Maybe to make it more steamy you would need more propellers, gears, or things with steam coming out of them. Rusty looking colours interspersed would add to that too.

That said, it looks really cool regardless, and I like how you've worked in an extra section. I like the pillars too. :thumbup:

PS love the sig, haha :laugh:
Thank you for the advice! I didn't want to put propellors on it. Even though most steampunk creations have them, I associate that more with airships. This just has a steam engine and some pistons. I suppose it may not be steampunk, but whatever it is that's what Book of the Ancients is. I'm happier with this MOC than I have been with a MOC for quite some time. It's exactly what's in my head for the story, so no changes. :tongue:

View PostKielDaMan, on 12 July 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

Great monorail build Hinck, and definitely much better than "the your big one that Quarryman broke." :tongue: I really don't mind if it's not too Steampunk-ish because it's cool-looking afterall, I love the overall mechanical design of this one. :thumbup:
Thanks! Yes, I agree that it's loads better my dick. I threw my dick together super fast because I had run out of time and needed to pack for Brickworld.

View PostRufus, on 12 July 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

Hey, that's nice!  I agree not really steampunky (insufficient brown for that :grin: ) but it certainly has a workmanlike appeal, while at the same time using some tasteful greebling - particularly the cheese graters on the sides. :wub:

I also like how you've used those half-cylinders as hoppers - and they even tip!  :cry_happy:
Thanks Rufus! :blush: I did originally want to throw some brown in. Actually I have plenty of the dark brown ones from the Toy Story set. However, I liked the newer metal look. I didn't want this one to look rusted or bronze. Perhaps with time, through the story, I can replace some of those parts with brown. :thumbup: That's a cool idea.

View PostBricks2000, on 13 July 2011 - 11:44 AM, said:

A fantastic creation, Hinckley! I like the look of it.

Let's hope "The Book of the Ancients" get finished soon.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Yeah, soon. :rofl: Ah... :cry_happy: You're hilarious. Thanks for the compliment, too. :wub:

View PostFugazi, on 13 July 2011 - 12:44 PM, said:

Wow! :thumbup: I'm not familiar with whatever-punk nomenclature, but I love the gritty and retro-futuristic feel of this MOC! Well, not gritty like Alopex's New London but like industrial machinery in daily use. I don't know where your Ancients tales will take you, but somewhere down the road I'd love to see the factory this monorail is part of! The rail support pillars are perhaps a preview of nice things to come!
Fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog!!!!

View PostPandora, on 13 July 2011 - 01:05 PM, said:

At first glance this looks to be composed of quite a few larger pieces, but on careful closer inspection it's surprising just how many little details there are and those details make this monorail very interesting to me. :thumbup:

The contrast between the grey colour scheme of the monorail and the trans-orange ore in the hoppers is stark, and works really well.  I'd love to see this monorail in motion as I think that would enhance the contrast further.

I'm looking forward to the Book of the Ancients, too.  :sweet:
:blush: Yay! Thanks for the nice compliments. I wish I could've added this to the EB display. I would create a video of it running but I still can't find my monorail cable. :blush:

View PostTazManiac, on 14 July 2011 - 12:26 AM, said:

Great to see some more of your work Hinckley. Love your FBG creations and I hope to see more of your wok in steam/cyber punk genres too, hell you could give us some space punk to gork at while you're at it.....so there's my wish list for Hinck.Posted Image

The train is very nice in it's no nonsense, straight to the point, work horse appearance.
* creates TazManiac want list *
* begins working on it *

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#23 Zepher

Zepher

  • Green!


    Posts: 9285
    Joined: 04-June 08
    Member: 3241

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:47 AM

Very cool Hinck.  If I could add anything, it would probably be a bit of color.  I feel like Steam-punk looks too clean with almost all light gray with dark gray high-lights.  Maybe some rust in a reddish brown?  I dunno.  Some of steam-punks charm, for me, is that it does have rust and extra gadgets on it, like not everything about the science of how things work has been figured out.  This looks too streamlined.  Besides, if it's called the Book of Ancients, perhaps it should invoke of feel of... ancientness.  I really dig the magma(?) holders, even though they're fairly simple.  The round with the cheese slopes beneath work for me.  Also the thin rail is nice.  Overall solid build Hinck, I really love it, but it would be silly not to give a few suggestions!

Lord Lawrence Boomingham


&


Lil' Zepher In Mafia School


#24 Phred

Phred

  • Kinda back


    Posts: 3139
    Joined: 18-October 06
    Member: 1037
    Country: USA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is a really great Monorail.  :cry_happy:
I don't think you need to change anything. :thumbup:

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image




Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users