Sign in to follow this  
Skrytsson

Da Grande Finale - Jack vs Kraken

This is my Pirates of the Caribbean contest entry.

Since I didn't find out about the contest sooner than a little more than a week ago I didn't have time to get all pieces needed. Therefore my entry is in Lego Digital Designer. All parts used does exist in current colour, and I intend to buy all parts needed (that I don't already own) to build the creation irl! :pir-classic:

I choosed to include "the lines between parts" when I took screenshots from LDD to make it as accurate as possible to real Lego parts. Despite that, it doesn't look that soft and naturally as the real ABS do. Please try to think it is fysical plastic parts anyway :pir-tongue: And please imagine that the minifigure in the picture has Jack's Sparrows hat and hair, which does not exist in LDD Extended Mode yet...

I have chosen to create the (almost) last scene in the second movie where Jack finally confronts Kraken. I tried to make Kraken's gap as accurate as possible to the movie. Beside the moment with all the teeth I had a very difficult time creating the rounded back of Kraken.

Enough words, here comes the pics...

My Flickr

5919782713_7f3c7e1636_z.jpg

5920345456_4cf99a2670_z.jpg

5919783157_c1bcbcfa46_z.jpg

5920345804_279aff0e40_z.jpg

5920346096_b7be0bc320_z.jpg

Reference picture:

Kraken_mouth_DMC.jpg

If I win, I'd prefer the Mill.

Edited by Skrytsson

Great scene. The front looks great, but I think the back of the Kraken is to flat and sudden, and it doesn't really have the long squid-like body.

Great job :thumbup:

Nice entry, Skrytsson. What of course stands out is the Kraken. Very detailed and the mouth looks great! Must've taken you quite some time with LDD to make that. The part of the ship is nice, although it could use a bit more detailing. Your creation could really benefit of being build with actual LEGO parts. I'm looking forward to that. Good luck!

:imperialguard_commander1: I see quite some similarities with my entry. I love that you made a complete Krakens' mouth, in LDD however, honestly I don't like digital entries very much :pirate_sad2:

Good luck though.

This is really great Skrytsson! I really like this MOC a lot. It would have been awesome to see it

made out of real bricks though (as always :pir-wink: ).

Good luck in the competition buddy!

Needs moar tentacles!

Otherwise a nice build with good, thought-out techniques from what I can see.

Regarding any similarity issues, I guess there's only so much you can do with this particular scene without going too far away from the movie :pir-classic:

Edited by Cherno

Kraken is excellent, but maybe too regular. You could make these segments a bit different from each other to make it more natural. I love the space below deck with the Kraken's tentacles. Other limbs of the monster are also well done. Pity you couldn't build it using your real bricks, but owning such a great amount of white canine teeth is almost impossible.

Good job and good luck in the contest!

Good job, though as already mentioned I'm not too fond of LDD MOCs especially as competition entries. I also do not like the head from behind. It only looks as a mouth holder and does not give the squid-ish long body look. As mentioned the LDD gives you far greater possibilities regarding the piece count so I'd make the MOC a bit bigger, lengthen the head-body and make longer tentacles - since you're not limited with the bricks! The design of the mouth is nice and also the detail of the ship interior is done nicely but the prior has two more problems. You were not the first, and it really misses the "WAW" factor it would get if it was a real MOC. As said everyone would be amazed at the amount of the teeth pieces! But all in all it's a great MOC clearly representing the scene, which was the contests main goal!