Attack of the Kraken

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic  – Started by hammelgeier , Jul 09 2011 07:43 PM

#1 hammelgeier

hammelgeier

Member: 18922

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

I'm new to the Eurobricks Community so first I wanna say Hello to everybody.

My Englisch isn't that good anymore so I hope you'll all understand me.
This my first Contest I participate and also my first MOC.

The scene is the first Attack of the Kraken in the 2nd movie, as one sailor finds the hat of Jack.
He`s still wearing it even if the tentacles caught him.

Hope you like it:

Posted Image
Attack of the Kraken 2 von hammelgeier auf Flickr

Posted Image
Attack of the Kraken 1 von hammelgeier auf Flickr

and the back for a better view on the Kraken:

Posted Image
Attack of the Kraken 5 von hammelgeier auf Flickr

Posted Image
Attack of the Kraken 4 von hammelgeier auf Flickr

If I´d win I choose the mill.

Best regards
hammelgeier

Edited by hammelgeier, 09 July 2011 - 07:53 PM.

#2 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

That looks fantastic, if I wasn't out of town, I'd blog this.

#3 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Although I'm not to fond of the mini scale creations, I think this one is really well done. The idea for tantacles is really cool and the ship is done nicely! I'd only suggesst removing the Krakens head since it was not seen until the last scene in the movie. If you are for the accuracie of the movies that is, not because the head wouldn't be done good enough.

I'd love to see something similar in the minifig scale, but I understand it's hard to get enough pieces to build a cracken that big ...

Edited by MstrOfPppts, 09 July 2011 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image

#4 legodac

legodac

Member: 18703

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

Wow, I am among Masters, nice model buddy, looks to me like you just might win the contest.

I really love the Lego strings, lines, what have you? They are, in my opinion, the finest feature.

All around though, I can only give this a five star rating, well done pal, and thanks for teaching me something new. Posted Image

"No, I'm from Toronto, I only work in outer space"

Posted Image

There are two kinds of goals in life, one will give you a point or two when playing, the other is a dream, like being #9

http://s681.photobuc...odac/?start=all

#5 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

You know what, I'm claiming this for myself, I might find time tonight, otherwise I'll blog it tomorrow.

Go to Classic-Pirates.com

#6 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Your first moc ? I find that hard to believe  :pir-laugh:
I love how you did the Kraken, nice tentacles, the ship is nice too,
I must say though at some spots the kraken's tentacles tend to blend in with the colors of the ship, you might want to change the dark grey on the ship by black or (dark) brown.
A nice entry.
I can't remember the Kraken being visible in the first attack though, Good job.

#7 Darth Yogi

Darth Yogi
  • im from no-caps country

Member: 11065

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

Wow!  What a strong entry.  The Kraken is fantastic, and the ship is very well built, although to really capture the ship I would add some more colors.

Great job :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image  
The Rabbit( MCW Contest entry)...........................Arrival on Tatooine...................................................Bail Organa's Airspeeder........................................Le Sans Fin

Flickr

#8 JimBee

JimBee
  • Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

Very cool MOC. Even in miniature scale, the impending doom of this epic scene is represented well. I can almost hear this song while viewing this creation:

:pir-tongue:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Chi Monk in the Heroica RPG

Currently playing Jerry Bergeron in Red Menace Mafia
Stats | Bio

#9 Scorpiox

Scorpiox
  • All Systems Go!

Member: 16378

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

A great entry!  :pir-classic:

I love the positioning of the tentacles and the way the ship looks is stunning! :pir-oh: The ship is a great creation in itself, imagine what it looked like before...

I don't mind the Kraken's head being there, as you see it partially in this scene (When someone is dropped into the sea you sea it's head appear to eat them, also when Will is thrown underwater he sees it).

Good luck in the contest!

Edited by Scorpiox, 10 July 2011 - 09:52 AM.

Haldor Skovgaard in Sandy's Heroica RPG.
[STATS] and [PROFILE]

#10 Cecilie

Cecilie
  • Light old blue grey!

Member: 9319

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:30 AM

Wow, you can really feel the intenseness of the scene by looking at this MOC. The tentacles look excellent, and the ship is just perfectly shattered. Also like your microfig, although he does look like he has one leg too many :tongue:.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  
My blog: Bits and Bricks
My flickr: cecilihf

#11 KristofBD

KristofBD

Member: 6258

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Excellent stuff!
Trouble is brewing...
                                                           Posted Image

#12 Matn

Matn
  • supermegaawesome

Member: 2084

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:03 AM

Great entry, hammelgeier. :thumbup: You can really feel the chaos going on in this scene. This is perfect in micro scale, it would be huge in minifg scale! Nice job on the Kraken and its tentacles, it's really breaking the ship apart. The ships looks also good, perhaps another colour would also have looked good. I like the details like wooden things laying around. And it's best to take your LEGO photos in a well lit place, not using the flash (for future reference  :pir-wink: ). Good luck!

#13 brickmack

brickmack

Member: 12146

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Nice MOC 'Hammelgeie'. I love the use of the 1x1 round plates for the suckers on the tentacles coming up, and the ship in general. The big hole in the ship looks perfect, especially with the various bits of debris strewn throughout the nearby water. The water itself looks nice also, such as the foamy look from the white and light blue areas near where stuff is falling in and tentacles coming out. Any plans to remake the ship separate from this (Intact)?

#14 RocketSeason

RocketSeason

Member: 3856

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

I really, really love this entry! Awesome work!

#15 hammelgeier

hammelgeier

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:02 AM

Wow, I didn't expect to win as much praise. Thanks therefore.
Also thanks for the good advices:

Matn:
And it's best to take your LEGO photos in a well lit place, not using the flash (for future reference :pir-wink: )
My first LEGO photos and it was already dark. If I would have recognized, that the contest has been extended, I could have taken the photos on daylight.
By the way, I first planned to make the Kraken under water, so the head couldn't correctly be seen as in the movie scene. As I besieged our dining room for one week with Lego, I got a little trouble with my wife. Think she wouldn't be happy if I start again this evening to redesign it   :pir-wink:

Sebeus Iniwum:
you might want to change the dark grey on the ship by black or (dark) brown.
That was my first intention, but didn't have reverse slopes in black.

brickmack
Any plans to remake the ship separate from this (Intact)?
I'm almost out of bricks. Time to go to Legoland shopping  :pir-laugh:  Don't want to destroy my MOC.

Or what do you all do with your MOCs? Do you destroy them even if you know what time and work you spent building? Of course you also have to buy new bricks if not using the old ones again. :hmpf_bad:

hammelgeier

#16 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:48 AM

View Posthammelgeier, on 11 July 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

Or what do you all do with your MOCs? Do you destroy them even if you know what time and work you spent building? Of course you also have to buy new bricks if not using the old ones again. :hmpf_bad:

hammelgeier

I only keep my most favorite creations but even those have a chance of destruction and usually I regret that  :pir-sceptic:

#17 Toltomeja

Toltomeja
  • Excaliber Holder

Member: 18752

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:52 PM

I like it very much, good job!
Your MOC is simply amazing, because of the motion, which can be seen. Plus, considering building style it's also beautiful! The tentacles are absolutely fantastic, and as I said before, they really look like if they were attacking the ship, and the ship was sinking.
Is this yellow and black figure a sailor? I must say it's brilliant, even though a bit out of scale and colour. I wouldn't maybe put it there, but that's good that you let us see it!
I love it! Love it, love it, love it!
Good luck!

EDIT: Your first MOC? You mean, your 9th incarnation's first MOC? Or first published MOC?

Edited by Toltomeja, 17 July 2011 - 10:11 AM.

#18 Cherno

Cherno

Member: 13634

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

+1 for a great not-quite-microscale scene! Really dynamic action and full of details. Even the little sailor is instandly recognizable. The Kraken itself looks very good with it's tentacles full of suckers, and the ship breaks in half and gets pulled asunder just like in the movie. Cool!

#19 hammelgeier

hammelgeier

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

EDIT: Your first MOC? You mean, your 9th incarnation's first MOC? Or first published MOC?

:pir-laugh: It's really my first MOC ever made. The only models I made up to now were Original Lego models. Perhaps I have a god-given talent or just been lucky on putting the right bricks together on each other.
Probably you will find out with my next MOC that's already in planning. I'M addicted to LEGO since starting this MOC. Just have to explain my wife to get time for building  :pir-wink:

#20 Toltomeja

Toltomeja
  • Excaliber Holder

Member: 18752

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:15 AM

And did you make it out of your previously collected parts or went shopping to BrickLink? Besides great talent, I see a collection of many fine bricks, and if I had such a budget of Lego, wouldn't stand a minute not to build something!
Once again, congratulations on great job!

#21 hammelgeier

hammelgeier

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

View PostToltomeja, on 17 July 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

And did you make it out of your previously collected parts or went shopping to BrickLink? Besides great talent, I see a collection of many fine bricks, and if I had such a budget of Lego, wouldn't stand a minute not to build something!
Once again, congratulations on great job!
Of course I had access to my old LEGO collection (quite 20 kg), but as the collection is just 20 years old, there werent many "special" bricks. Above all they were very scratched (for example all the blue ones in my MOC) so I wanted to use new or better ones.
As described in the introduction of myself, I live just 10 Minutes from Legoland Germany. So I headed forward to Legoland and got new bricks from the bargain market ("Schnäppchenmarkt"). One bag full of bricks for 14,99 Euros, I could get about 400 to 500 gramm into it. Much better than 9 Euros per 100 gramm in the factory shop.

#22 Dat zombie

Dat zombie

Member: 19355

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

View PostBig Cam, on 09 July 2011 - 07:51 PM, said:

That looks fantastic, if I wasn't out of town, I'd blog this.

Yes, a really good MOC,well done.I like the touch that you have added that is the sailor holding on for dear life,
    well done once again. keep on brickin :jollyroger:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links