Fountain of Youth

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic  – Started by Cecilie , Jul 07 2011 09:08 PM

#1 Cecilie

Cecilie
  • Light old blue grey!

Member: 9319

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

I'm not exactly a regular poster in the Pirates forum, but after seeing the new PotC movie I've become slightly obsessed with the PotC movies, and it has brought back a lot of fond memories of playing with LEGO pirates as a child. I had been wanting to create a PotC MOC when I discovered this contest, so couldn't resist. I have chosen a scene from the end of the new movie, when they find the Fountain of Youth. It is based on only one viewing of the movie, so the movie accuracy might not be exactly perfect... Now, enough chit chat, pictures!

Jack finds the fountain:
Posted Image

Barbossa comes along:
Posted Image
Blackbeard: "You brought him!"

Posted Image
Barbossa: "I'm not afraid of you this far from your ship"

And an overhead shot:
Posted Image

Oh, and if I were to be so lucky as to win, I'd prefer the Mill.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  
My blog: Bits and Bricks
My flickr: cecilihf

#2 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

It couldn't be much worse than the official LEGO version in terms of movie-recemblance, but yours is far superior in that way.
Perhaps you could make the rock of the fountain a bit more edgy as the surface it rather flat now which makes it look a bit like a fake rock.
But outside of that you did a very good job. The lighting is nice and I also like the trees.
Good luck in the contest :thumbup:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#3 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Very recognizable, some more detail on the central rock would be nice though. I like how you did those stairs, it's a detail but I like it. Good job.

#4 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts
  • Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

As said, it can't be worse than the official one. Anyways the MOC is really nice and clean and I too miss some detail on the fontain. I think some imitation of moss could be included - some green bricks or the small leave pieces. Also I think it's a bit tall. it's been a while since I've seen the movie, but as I remember it, it was just a bit taller than human beings. Now waiting for the POTC wave 2 of LEGO, so you can enhance the MOC with some Spaniards!

Posted Image

#5 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

I think this is 100% better than the LEGO version.

#6 Captain Genaro

Captain Genaro
  • Has issues taking Presidents.

Member: 6844

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:41 AM

Another fantastic entry for a fantastic contest! Granted I have never seen the move, but this seems to be really cool! I like the ripples in the water around Jack but I think that you should add them to Barbosa and Blackbeard when they battle. I also like the skeletons but I think that you should add some more bones around in the water ( if that's movie accurate). The lighting and black backdrop really give it that ominous feel.

WIP Brig of War

Giovanni Capanni, a problem-eliminating hitman in CMF Mafia 2
Chlodochar, a LOYAL warrior in Ragnarök Now Redux
Thomas, an INNOCENT fish-watcher aboard the Pearl.
Ginny, a TOWNIE jockey in Heartlake Heartbreak!.
Gerrid, a SCUM Servant of Loki in Ragnarök Now
Frankie Daly, a mostly LOYAL deckhand in Red Scare Mystery
Gen, a TOWNIE bum in Eurodina
Geoffrey Oult, an Honorable soldier in Imperial Soldiers Mafia

#7 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

Member: 14161

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

A wonderfull idea mate I love everything execpt the flatness of the fountain!!
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#8 Dreamweb

Dreamweb
  • Thanks for your contributions!

Member: 396

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

That's a very nice entry! I think the trees are my favourite part. Expect it to be blogged soon.

Go to Classic-Pirates.com

PS. I see that some contestants are really pushing the 32x32 rule to the limits.  :pir-classic:

#9 serge627

serge627

Member: 15661

Posted 08 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Great job, I like how through the different pics the scene progresses.  You did a very nice job on the MOC and this is one of my favs for the contest so far!

#10 Cecilie

Cecilie
  • Light old blue grey!

Member: 9319

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:06 PM

Thanks guys for the nice comments :pir_kiss:.

Yes yes, the fountain is flat and a bit too tall. My main focus for the fountain itself was to get the shape right the way I remembered it, and my first attempt was actually even taller. Because it's only one stud wide, it's hard to add texture and have it be at least remotely solid, but I could probably have added a bit of texture with some headlight bricks. However, I actually like how it turned out, I think the smooth surface of it makes it stand out from the rocky background, and I think it's ok for the fountain to look like the rock has been polished (although a little moss wouldn't have been out of place).

View PostCaptain Genaro, on 08 July 2011 - 01:41 AM, said:

I like the ripples in the water around Jack but I think that you should add them to Barbosa and Blackbeard when they battle. I also like the skeletons but I think that you should add some more bones around in the water ( if that's movie accurate).
Probably could have had som ripples around Barbossa and Blackbeard yes, but was it not forbidden to move bricks around for the different shots? And I don't remember there being bones in or around the water, but then I have only seen the movie once...

View PostDreamweb, on 08 July 2011 - 10:55 AM, said:

That's a very nice entry! I think the trees are my favourite part. Expect it to be blogged soon.
Wow, thanks  :pir-laugh:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  
My blog: Bits and Bricks
My flickr: cecilihf

#11 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

A very nice entry you've got there, I haven't even seen the movie yet (shame, shame) but the scene looks pretty neat, and it gives a better view on this "Fountain of Youth" then the LEGO version does.

Good luck!

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#12 Toltomeja

Toltomeja
  • Excaliber Holder

Member: 18752

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

I like your model very much, and the best elements in it are trees! And the shapes of coastline by the water! I think you could only improve the rocks a bit - the "rock wall" is too flat, and also you could enrich it by making it 2-coloured, dark and light gray.
I think comparing this with the Lego original set is senseless, hardly any Lego sets are better than AFOLs' MOCs, either because of unlimited quantity of parts in MOCs (unlike the original sets) or simply greater talent!
Adding some more branches "towards camera" would be a good idea, if you havan't ran out of your leaves  :pir-blush:
Good luck!

Edited by Toltomeja, 17 July 2011 - 10:06 AM.

#13 Mr_Malfoy

Mr_Malfoy

Member: 17027

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:38 PM

Very nice entry! :thumbup:
Your version of the fountain is WAAY better than TLG's.
I'm a Christian and proud of it! I'm also proud to be a Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Disney, Lord of the Rings, and LEGO fan too...

#14 Matn

Matn
  • supermegaawesome

Member: 2084

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:49 PM

Great Fountain of Youth, Cecilie and way better than LEGO's attempt in the official set. :thumbup: LEGO's fountain doesn't even look close to the one in the film and to yours. You certainly got the shape right, but it's indeed a bit too big but I don't think that's a problem at all. I especially like the pathway between the trees, the trees themselves and the waterfall. The rocks are a bit too flat, perhaps a bit more greenery could look nice. A bit more bones and a little bit of plants would make the ground look less clean. I also like the colours and the lightning, there's a nice atmosphere with that amount of dark green. Nice job and good luck!

#15 spideryear

spideryear

Member: 18748

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:37 PM

i am loving the trees  :pir-wub:

#16 deskp

deskp

Member: 12681

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:30 PM

Great Looking moc, you really captured Jack's pose aswell! one comment tho, in the movie I think your tree should be overgrown pillars

also the reason for the way legos fountain of youth look is that they werent given A final image of the fountain(or just not in time) here is a concept image of a fountain of youth from the official artbook, this one looks like the one lego made:Posted Image

Minifigure checklist from The hobbit and The lord of the rings

Posted Image

#17 Cherno

Cherno

Member: 13634

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:43 AM

Nice mood and lighting. The subtle colors and ambient light make it look like it's set on a moonlit night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links