Sign in to follow this  
Horry

The song has been sung

Dear friends,

I'd like to present my contest entry for you. Originally I did not plan to enter the contest, as I thought I had not enough matching bricks for free at the moment. But I just decided to go with some artistic freedom. The scene I want to depict is the first one from the third movie: at world's end - at Port Royal, now under command of the East India Trading Company, the strict regime of Lord Beckett brings the locals to singing the pirate's song.

It was quite difficult to bring all the details that I wanted into that scene, especially the death-row, the working Beckett and the two guys sorting boots from bodies - I am not sure whether I have managed to integrate the scene well inbetween 32x32 studs, but you can tell me! Anyway, this was a fun to build! There are no very special methods, but I enjoyed the work. There are no custom parts except the hangman's knots and the flag. No decals, just old-fashioned classic-pirates folks to resemble the scene :pirate:

If I would win, I would prefer the mill as a prize.

5901117293_56f52355cc_b.jpg

contest entry von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

The whole scene

5901116685_01d62046ea_b.jpg

contest entry 1 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

"right to habeus corpus - suspended!"

5901679280_bf55e0ee82_b.jpg

contest entry 2 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

The death row

5901679840_2f26f28d25_b.jpg

contest entry 4 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

"Lord Beckett! - they have started to sing, Sir" "Finally"

5901679574_f41f9cb08d_b.jpg

contest entry 3 von HMSCentaur auf Flickr

Sorting the boots

Personnaly I thought that was quite a boring scene, yet you managed to capture it very well, you even got the boots sorting :P

Oh and be carefull when using black for buildings, it's not easy to see the detail you've put in it, like the bits on the wall, good job.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

This is a nice scene that you have built here. I like the detail on the walls to make the black look more interesting. It does seem to have a very dismal look to it, just like the movie. The soldiers on the ramparts and the EITC flag are nice additions that help to add detail to this scene.

I would suggest moving the gallows towards the front of the MOC a bit and moving the EITC soldiers to one side of the death row line. That area seems a bit over crowded to me. Also, I think that a custom torso would look good for Becket and since you are not using any official POTC characters, I think that you can make one. Additionally, the ground seems too uneven. I think that you should fill in some of the holes and make the slope more gradual. Finally on the cross beam that holds the ropes, I would try to make that narrower with 1x1 round bricks.

It's still a shame they killed all those good sailors :pir-sceptic: But you made a nice MOC out of it.

Good job on the gallows, the walls and the flag. You could add some small plants and barrels to make it look more detailed.

Best of luck in the contest!

Great opening scene to the movie and nice work on bringing it out. I think you did a great job on it, the cart of bodies is good and the gallows look nice!

Thanks everybody for your kind comments! Sebeus Iniwum: You are quite right, I will get another camera tomorrow and try to catch it a bit better - weather has been horrible in Berlin during the last weeks, it's difficult to catch a day with a bit sunshine.

Captain Genaro: thank you for your suggestions! Unfortunately, I will be overwhelmed with work during the next days, so no decals for the lord, I am afraid. But the other points have been taken into consideration :pir-sweet:

Admiral Croissant: I thought about adding plants, but I could see none in the movie scene - but some barrels should be no problem.

Great job with this sad scene, but why do the soldiers have red and black legs. Good luck.

Great job :thumbup:

Great job with this sad scene, but why do the soldiers have red and black legs. Good luck.

Yeah that question was also on my mind. :pir-sweet:

A great MOC you did here, Can this be seen as a Vignette?(I'm not sure what is, and what is not a Vignette)

Good luck on the Contest !!

greetz Bjornu

Edited by Bjornu

Yeah that question was also on my mind. :pir-sweet:

A great MOC you did here, Can this be seen as a Vignette?(I'm not sure what is, and what is not a Vignette)

Good luck on the Contest !!

greetz Bjornu

Well, their uniforms are supposed to be darkish bluish with small red parts - since I did not want to use epaulettes on all of them (i feel they are quite overused these days) I had to come up with something else to resemble the colour mixture.

Bjornu: I'd say not, it's too big. Here's a fairly good description of what can be considered a vignette: http://news.lugnet.com/build/vignette/FAQ

Great entry in the contest! :thumbup:

You captured the 3rd movie's depressing opening scene very well, and I think the black walls actually add to the gloom and sadness.

I like the walls structure, but I'd use different colours (dk and lt gray) or at least different colour of sticking bricks - black on black is hard to spot. I also like the people going towards the scaffold, guarded by the soldiers.

The place where the bodies lay is next fine place in your fortress, but I think they should have more varied poses, corpses hardly ever have such poses before being laid in coffin. :pir-hmpf_bad:

The scaffold is quite ordinary, but I noticed some interesting details, especially at the bottom. But why the hell is one of the hangmen holding a coin?

What I've paid attention to is also the cannon at the tower. Simple, and good looking as well.

I love Beckett's fig in the tower! His face expression is like he was thinking: "What's this camera doing here? Stop spying me!"

You could find some more original minifigs' heads in your big box, chest, safe or wherever you keep your vast collection of bricks - the soldiers look a bit like clones with the identical 3626bp01 faces. The gray floor is a bit boring, but the wall around and the tower is OK.

Good luck!

Edited by Toltomeja

I actually liked this opening scene and it set the mood. Nice entry, Horry. You've captured the feeling quite well with the depressing colours and the disposed bodies. It's still recognizable despite the artistic freedom and despite having no official minifigures. What also could have worked: no walls but just the balcony and the death row. It would perhaps have been even more depressing. Good luck! :thumbup:

I too found this scene quite boring. I just watched the movie recently and I'm glad I did. Else I'd be giving wrong comments since I had the civil crowd in mind, but that was from the first movie in a similar situation. The scene is really well captured and I agree that the floor need repairing to be more even. I presume you build the wall and tower in black because of lack of bricks, but it'd really look better in dark or light gray. I also find the people too colorful especially the red in the soldiers legs and mixing redcoats and bluecoats.

Also since the gallows is the main object in the scene I'd put a bit more detail into it in your place. The top bar should be thinner, adding the stairs and some trap doors would really improve the look of it. Also I miss the executioner that was present in the movies!

Aye, thank you all for your comments.

Actually, I did not build the walls out of a lack of dgrey or grey bricks but because I did a rather free interpretation of a scene that struck me as bein' quite depressing - so I used black walls to illustrate that. :pir-classic:

The floor was another rather free interpretation that was done in order to try out a new technique.

I did not build this entry in order to win the contest. I actually entered in order to give me a time-frame to get a scene done I wanted to do for a long time - when the contest is over, I'll post some more pictures with higher detail. Including the executioner that has not been seen in the pictures because it fell off the scene without me noticing it. If you look up the flickr album of the entry, you can see him :pir-blush: