JimH

Solid Gold C3PO question

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Guys i posted a question in the thread where you introduce yourself as new members explaining my son was one of 5 winners about 4 yrs ago of the solid gold c3p0 figure. we're looking on info on value and where the best place to post it for sale. the funds will be going into his college fund. any help would greatly be apreciated.

Wow that's cool your son won that. I think in terms of just the value of the gold right now it's probably at least a thousand dollars? Might be a bit more/less considering the collector value.

I'm certainly no expert (though I know there are probably some here), but I would have to say that you are sitting on a treasure. Your best choice of places to sell would be ebay or Bricklink, although using an auction house that is doing a toy auction might also be a possibility due to the rarity of the item. As mentioned above, just the inherent value of the gold would be significant, but the value is greatly enhanced due to the rarity of the item, which I don't think has ever been sold on the second hand market. Given that the 10,000 unit gold chrome plated C3PO go for $150+ (see here at the Bricklink price history), I think you are probably looking at several thousand dollars for the1 in 5 C3PO. You will have to show authenticity of the item as well, so make sure you show lots of pictures as well as proof of authenticity from the Lego Company when you are listing it for sale, as you are bound to get LOTS of questions about it.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

Wow that is lucky. I'll chime in with my suggestions too.

- I would build up a presence on several of the major fan sites. This would be the primary place for that, in my opinion, but there are other large forums too. Bricklink, brickset, everywhere you can find. When you go to sell, make a forum posting on all of them. You want to publicize this as best you can with the fan community.

For your posting... I've never sold such an expensive item on eBay, but I imagine that's the best place to do it. When you do:

- Take plenty of good quality photos. Have someone give them the photoshop treatment so the color balance is looking good, etc.

- As said before, good photos of the authenticity certificate

- Write up the story of how you obtained the item. The more long-winded it is, the better. The more people feel there's a backstory and history, the more attached they will be.

- Be generally very descriptive almost to the point of excess. Make sure everything is proof-read and spell-checked.

- Probably wouldn't hurt to get translations into other languages for your listing, especially German (Germany is one of the largest Lego markets). Maybe even get translations for Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese?

- I'm not sure if you're in the USA, but don't forget to pay sales tax to the IRS. If you're dealing with thousands of dollars, best not to risk getting audited. And depending on how much it is you might want to do a mid-year tax payment to avoid a penalty come tax return season.

- You'll probably want to set a reserve price limit, just in case the bids don't meet your expectations. People set no reserves for cheaper (sub $1k) items, which can foment more bids.

You may also want to consider waiting until the economy comes back up to do your listing. Luxury items like vintage cars and jewelry tend to sell much lower in a down market than in a booming market. E.g. a nice restored Porsche in 2011 sells for much less than it would have in 2004.

It's great to hear that the money will go for your son's college fund. Good luck! I wish I were you, and I don't even collect SW! :sick: <- Green with jealousy.

Honestly, if this is truly a 1 in 5 solid gold item, I'd start your own webpage for it. Build up anticipation of the actual sale, then open it up for bid's. That way you keep all the money. Ebay takes a piece of everything you sell, also paypal which is extremely popular would take a chunk too.

I'd be surprised if you didn't get a few thousand dollars for it.

I'd love to see pictures.

i'll post some pics of it this weekend if i can find the card reader for the camera.

we have all the documentation, i told him not to throw a thing away from that package.

Looks like we've found the holy grail!...Well one of them :laugh: Can't deny that i'm more than curious to see some pics!

You may also want to consider waiting until the economy comes back up to do your listing. Luxury items like vintage cars and jewelry tend to sell much lower in a down market than in a booming market. E.g. a nice restored Porsche in 2011 sells for much less than it would have in 2004.

Probably a good idea. Also inherent price of gold is increasing in general, and the price of super rare stuff tends to increase over time as well.

Depending on when your son is going to college, I'm wondering whether it would be best to keep hold of it until that time. It will surely keep its value, but may indeed increase in value over time? Just a thought?

Depending on when your son is going to college, I'm wondering whether it would be best to keep hold of it until that time. It will surely keep its value, but may indeed increase in value over time? Just a thought?

I share the same sentiment, if there is no immediate need of properly 'disposing' this ultra-rare item I'd suggest to hold on it for a bit more time since its value will definitely increase more and you'll get more out of it. But if you really want to sell it right now I'm pretty sure you'll still get a considerable amount from it. You and your son are extremely lucky to have that prized item so I hope you make an excellent deal out of it. :wink:

I don´t think the value of an ultra-rare item can increase more. Nobody ever sold one before, so the die-hard collectors would be selling their kidney for this. I would first check how much it would be worth to a gold seller and take this price as starting bid on the already recommended website, so that you gain 100% profit.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

i'll post some pics of it this weekend if i can find the card reader for the camera.

we have all the documentation, i told him not to throw a thing away from that package.

Hi,

I am a great Star Wars LEGO Collector, and this is one of the last items I need to complete my collection.

I have a huge interest to buy your solid gold C3 PO and I am looking forward to see some pictures of the minifig and of course any special boxes and/or posters you have.

Perhaps you want to write me an e-mail? I couldn't find an adress of you...(-;

greetings Hendrik

Hi,

I am a great Star Wars LEGO Collector, and this is one of the last items I need to complete my collection.

I have a huge interest to buy your solid gold C3 PO and I am looking forward to see some pictures of the minifig and of course any special boxes and/or posters you have.

Perhaps you want to write me an e-mail? I couldn't find an adress of you...(-;

greetings Hendrik

i didn't leave the box checked in my profile to receive emails at the moment. i'll see if the site here will allow me to contact you via your profile info. if so i'll put gold c3p0 in the subject line.

ok the site wont let me view a posters profile. i assume that is because i am a new member?

sorry for eating up space on this thread but i looked around and could not find the answer.

if it is a new member issue can anyone tell me how long it will be like that? i understand the

reasons for putting up waiting periods. if a moderator wishes to contact me via email that is fine too.

i didn't leave the box checked in my profile to receive emails at the moment. i'll see if the site here will allow me to contact you via your profile info. if so i'll put gold c3p0 in the subject line.

ok the site wont let me view a posters profile. i assume that is because i am a new member?

sorry for eating up space on this thread but i looked around and could not find the answer.

if it is a new member issue can anyone tell me how long it will be like that? i understand the

reasons for putting up waiting periods. if a moderator wishes to contact me via email that is fine too.

You can Write me an email if you want to: done

Thank you!

Edited by Sir von Lego

guys my avtar is a close up of the figure taken with my cell phone.

You can Write me an email if you want to: Hendrik dot Bergmann AT gmx dot Net

Thank you!

i forward you some photo's please feel free to share here as i am haveing issues getting them uploaded right now.

Yep, it's because you're new. You need to make ten good posts before you can view profiles and send PMs. Read about ranks here

Yep, it's because you're new. You need to make ten good posts before you can view profiles and send PMs. Read about ranks here

gotcha, we're going to be gone a bit later this weekend but hopefully i can get photo's posted after i return on mon.

for now the avtar will have to do.

This is amazing I thought not one of them would ever show up. :classic:

You wouldn't happen to have the silver TC14 or Bronze Boba? :grin:

This is amazing I thought not one of them would ever show up. default_classic.gif

You wouldn't happen to have the silver TC14 or Bronze Boba? default_laugh2.gif

no, just the gold c3p0, sorry my son is such a slacker!

I remember back when these came out, there was one on trademe. It was still sealed in its bag though so you couldn't see it. Its great to see an actual pic of one.

I remember back when these came out, there was one on trademe. It was still sealed in its bag though so you couldn't see it. Its great to see an actual pic of one.

any idea on what they where asking for it then?

With all due respect, JimH - I really don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do, and I'd never even think of doing that. But please hear my words.

Being a collector myself of different toys, there's one piece of advice I can give you:

Wait some more years before selling the gold figure. Don't do it now. Its price will go sky high in no-time. you'll be able to ask much more money for it in a couple of years than you can get for it now.

you do have a great reason to sell it; but wait a few more years and you'll see.

your kid will go to college, but then he'll be driving his chick magnet :thumbup: or her dream carriage, in case it's a girl :thumbup::classic: