MOC: Calendar

12 replies to this topic

#1 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa

Member: 14331

Posted 29 June 2011 - 02:15 AM

Posted Image
My goal was to create something for my office that I could change fairly often and would be interesting to look at - I came up with this idea of a modular (not sure if that's the right term) calendar. The bottom scene is held in by the modified 1x2 plates that looks like a railing, so it actually pops out and I can pop an new scene in.  The idea is that I'll create a new scene for each month and of course spell the month (or abbreviate it) at the top.

The numbers for the dates are color-coded but I might do custom printed labels on 1x2 tiles - still undecided on if I want to keep it "purist" or not.

What do you all think?  
Larger Photos @ FLickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Update for AUGUST

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by darkdragon, 30 July 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81

Member: 12542

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

That's a pretty neat design there. I like how you've made the scenes interchangeable(as you said). Do you have the other scenes created already? What's with the different colored 1x1 rounds on the day? Is the color significant or random?

Sorry for the 20 questions! :tongue:

Edited by Legocrazy81, 29 June 2011 - 05:28 AM.

Clone Army-120 & counting...

GS Red Squad Relief Fund- Donate today!

#3 toytoy

toytoy

Member: 15665

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:34 AM

I believe each Colour represents 1 number.  May I suggest that for the first 7 number, you use the rainbow Colour sequence, thus easier to remember.  For number 8 to 0, use brown, white, black.. Just my humble opinion.

Nice and neat creation.  Very good idea :-)

#4 Gregorovich

Gregorovich

Member: 15114

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Great idea! The colour coded dots is quite clever, and the lettering is very good. I love the scene at the bottom, please show us the ones for other months, too! Well done, and thanks for sharing!

My unique Collectable Minifigures so far:
S1: 12/16  S2: 7/16  S3: 9/16  S4: 12/16  S5: 0/16

My Brickshelf
My Flickr

Posted Image
Convicted on Day 5 playing as Town member Geert Rotterdam in Sandy's Escape from Isla Paradisa
-Passed-

#5 Bricks2000

Bricks2000

Member: 14098

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

Very creative! I wonder how it would look with other months?
Go Bluecoats!

Posted Image
Now playing Died as Marcus Mouse (scum) in Mafia School: Fabuland Housewives.

my brickshelf:
http://www.brickshel...gi?m=Bricks2000

#6 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:00 AM

Thank you everyone for your great comments. I'm looking forward to making a new tiny scene each month and posting in this same thread!

View PostLegocrazy81, on 29 June 2011 - 05:27 AM, said:

Do you have the other scenes created already? What's with the different colored 1x1 rounds on the day? Is the color significant or random?

Sorry for the 20 questions! :tongue:

Nope, I have only done July so far. I'm thinking about what I will do for August though, I will add a post to this thread with the new month.
Each dot is a number because there are no numbered tiles with all numbers and the numbered 1x1 bricks were too expensive for me to justify on this little project.

View Posttoytoy, on 29 June 2011 - 05:34 AM, said:

I believe each Colour represents 1 number.  May I suggest that for the first 7 number, you use the rainbow Colour sequence, thus easier to remember.  For number 8 to 0, use brown, white, black.. Just my humble opinion.

I thought about doing rainbow pattern but I couldn't think of it off the top of my head and didn't feel like looking it up   :laugh: I tried white and black but didn't like the look so I replaced with tan and lime.

#7 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Updated for August.

#8 Pandora

Pandora

• Hide the Zebras!

Member: 15845

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

This looks like a lovely summery picnic, perfect for August, and I like the way you've used different coloured apples to hint at the late summer feel.

I hope your August turns out to be as pleasant as this looks! :sweet:
Heroica RPG - Nyx Level 30.25 BattleMage

in girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

A link to all my Reviews and other stuff about me can be found on my "About Me" page, and pics are on flickr

#9 Hollander

Hollander

Member: 17672

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Very creative indeed! What a lovely calender. Especially because you can change it whenever you want (unless you're at work I guess).

#10 The Caped Crusader

The Caped Crusader

Member: 14010

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Nice work there darkdragon I really like those little vigs right below the calendar . Keep up the good work !

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him...because he can take it
...because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...the Dark Knight" - James "Jim" Gordon
Posted Image

The Batpod by caped_crusader, on Flickr

#11 Soulgem

Soulgem

Member: 12205

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

that's very creative. what will you do in september-october, the months when nothing happens. :D
Check out my blog about toys and food: http://toysandbacon.blogspot.com/

#12 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:18 AM

View PostSoulgem, on 30 July 2011 - 11:34 PM, said:

that's very creative. what will you do in september-october, the months when nothing happens. :D

Haha. Well here we have school starting in september and october is halloween, many options with both of those. I think I have decided to have a minifig scene each month rather then non-minifig (ie, not just sculptures and such).

#13 22kane

22kane

Member: 17921

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:30 PM

I have to say that this is quite impressive. Far much better than the one that Lego offers. I don't know if I could get used to the color coded date system and would prefer old fashioned numbers. It reminds me of those clocks with the different lights broken down into four sections- can't remember the name of them right now. Anyway, great calendar, very creative indeed!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users