Sign in to follow this  
TaltosVT

LEGO Train Book

In a recent thread about a bad LEGO train book, it was mentioned that perhaps the RAILBRICKS crew could put together a *good* train book.

The RAILBRICKS team has actually thought about this in the past. Two topics usually come up: What would we put in it, and could we put it together and have it printed for an affordable price?

My first question: What would people like to see in such a book?

My second question: Realistically, how much would you be willing to pay for such a book?

The second question isn't because we'd like to make a profit. The reason I ask is that if such a book were created, we'd likely go with a print-on-demand service, and the amount that people would be willing to spend may drive the page count that we would be able to work with.

And with all that said, putting together a book is a huge undertaking. If we did tackle a project like this, it may be some time before it would be released. Our first priority would still be the magazine, but even that is something that we work on when we're not dealing with our regular jobs and non-hobby lives (Issue 9 is coming though, I promise!).

-Elroy

Not being an expert Lego railroader, what I would like to see is a book akin to one that I bought many years ago for HO trains: Kalmbach's ABC's of Model Railroading. This book was a compilation of short (3-5 pages) articles previously published in a model railroading journal. It included basics on every topic relevant to layout building, and the concept can easily be translated to Lego trains. Examples of topics would be:

- what to buy to get started

- track and power options (12V, 9V, RC, PF, non-Lego)

- wiring a layout

- lighting a locomotive

- track design (how to plan a layout, curvatures, operation)

- planning and building grades

- trackside buildings

- MOCing accurate locomotives and cars

- scenery

I'm sure there are many more topics that could be covered. Any chapter/article could use previously published material or new stuff. Depending on binding, colour photos etc. I'd expect such a book to cost around $30-50.

For me the value would be in:

- Layout examples

- Layout options (indoor, outdoor, fixed, floor, etc.)

- Lots and lots of examples, especially of clever touches to scenery

- Ways to expand your collection the cheapest

- Powering items beyond the train (switches, scenery, etc.)

I'd buy it in a heartbeat even if only to support Railbricks great work.

Having bought the Railbricks printed copies... it would be a bit of a pity to have an effective reprint... but at the same time a good book would be great.

Some examples: I often use the Maerklin catalogues for some inspiration. So a book which compiled a variety of pictures for 'inspiration' and showed techniques on how to do the correct scaling would be useful. Lets say.. a couple of pages devoted to 'tankers' with some good photos of real life versions alongside some great Lego renditions. I could think of the same for other systems...

But in the end the book would be out of date quickly if this was the approach.

The other alternative would be something which shows some good building techniques (like Ideas Book) - but also showing (as in RB) how to correctly pitch the wheel alignments of locos... (Sava could fill many pages I think)... or how to use Swoofty Snot work to make nifty solutions for common problems. Coupled with great pictures would really help inspire the audience.

Which brings me onto the final question for you - audience? AFOL? / KFOL?

To be honest I think sticking with (printed) RB would be for me more valuable... so perhaps the book should really be a compendium?

...because it's Lego, I'd buy a copy... no matter what the content of this book will be, I know you guys do a terrific job with Railbricks (I have each and every issue) that I'm pretty sure you'll do a good (if not better) job with the said book. I'm willing to pay between $30-40 for it...

Which brings me onto the final question for you - audience? AFOL? / KFOL?

That's a great question, as it would definitely influence the level of writing. I would see the target audience being the same as for the magazine, which is teen and adult builders.

This is all great feedback, not only for a book wish-list, but also for the magazine. Keep the ideas flowing!

-Elroy

I think a nice all around history of Lego trains section would be nice as well as a full color collector's checklist of the various train sets. Additionally, a section on constructing locos, rolling stock, trackside structures and simple scenery would be neat. Maybe a section with build instructions on motorizing switch points or incorporating Mindstorms programs to automate a layout. How about a reference section with part numbers and pictures of commonly used train parts, slopes, wheels, roof pieces, buffers, etc.? It could be a ring bound, layflat technical manual.

I'd Gladly pay $40 for a quick reference manual that I could use to find everything on Bricklink...

That's a great question, as it would definitely influence the level of writing. I would see the target audience being the same as for the magazine, which is teen and adult builders.

This is all great feedback, not only for a book wish-list, but also for the magazine. Keep the ideas flowing!

-Elroy

If it was going to be done, it should be aimed at AFOLs. I think it is a mistake to 'talk down' to kids by trying to pitch things to their level. Rather, if you aim above their heads it gives them something to aspire to, and the book will be of lasting value, as the possibilities contained within will unfold as they mature- the book will become their Lego Train 'bible' if you like. Lego builders of all ages like to know that there are boundaries to push. The most important thing would be to have a glossary of terms at the back written in both languages- English and American English.

I remember as a kid being given a large glossy book about model trains. Most of the layouts and ideas were well above my level of competance (still are) and ability to fund (ditto)- yet it was nonetheless very inspirational, and gave me a grounding in most of the principles of what makes a good layout. Of course, at that time DCC was in its infancy- Hornby had a controller called Zero 1 (I think) which was a very early attempt at digital train control.

Edited by Legoless

I think a train book is an excellent idea! It's about time there's a follow up to Jakes book from 2004.

I will probably buy it anyway, whatever the price but I think it's hard to ask people what they would pay for a book up front. It'll depend on number of pages, size, print quality, paper quality...

Where can I sign up to contribute?

Not being an expert Lego railroader, what I would like to see is a book akin to one that I bought many years ago for HO trains: Kalmbach's ABC's of Model Railroading. This book was a compilation of short (3-5 pages) articles previously published in a model railroading journal. It included basics on every topic relevant to layout building, and the concept can easily be translated to Lego trains.

I read that book 'til the binding fell apart as a kid! I think that was one of the best model railroad references ever!

A lot of the model railroading books I read in my childhood were all about building a 4x8' plywood table layout. The first chapter introduced the completed design and basics of the model railroading hobby, and then successive chapters focused on techniques that built up the layout: benchwork, roadbed and basic track laying, terrain like mountains and hills, freight vs passenger, industries and rolling stock which involved expanding the track plan, constructing towns, scenery, and operating the completed project.

Of course that format for a book was developed when the word a 'blog' sounded like something out of a children's fairy tale. As well as the format being a bit dated it may also not apply as much to LEGO trains where layouts are often quite transient.

That said, I think the core value of those books I loved as a kid and the sentiments echoed by others is that the book should be an inspiration to others. I think the target isn't someone with a massive 3 level 12V train layout, the train fan covering his girlfriend's apartment floor with LEGO trains, or those who build giant prototypically accurate 8-wide steam engines (Although you guys are great! :classic: .) I think it's the person that bought the Emerald Night or Maersk and some track and wonders what to do next, or the person that breaks out the Cargo Train every now, but has considered building a layout, or the person who's inspired by all the great stuff they see here or in railbricks but doesn't have the time, space, money, confidence, or tolerant spouse to build a large room absorbing layout.

I think some of the advanced brickbuilding techniques should be saved for Railbricks and I wouldn't touch anything other than PF as a system. The idea shouldn't be you can have an awesome layout if you buy all this rare and semi-expensive stuff on eBay/bricklink, but you can do pretty inspirational things with stuff on S@H.

I propose for a theme of the book: "10 Different LEGO Layouts that YOU can build!" (or some other number)

Each chapter features a different trackplan, pictures of the completed layout and subsections on a given technique, hint, pictures of MOC ideas unique to the layout, or full blown instructions at the end.

-You do something like the smallest operational lego layout you can build which is like 12 curves and 2 switches on 3x4 baseplates, talk about motorizing the Maersk, show pics of a fuel depot and some crane vehicle lifting containers onto a truck, and conclude with how to turn the Octan Tank Truck into a tanker car.

-Or a 1.5 x 5.5 baseplate Inglenook Siding on the shelf. Talk about the origins of the switching game, explain the rules, show pics of the 4-stud deep Industrial facade backdrop and include instructions how to build your own PF shunting engine (There was a great one here on the forums a few months ago.)

I think the last chapter should be a medley of large inspirational layouts.

In a recent thread about a bad LEGO train book, it was mentioned that perhaps the RAILBRICKS crew could put together a *good* train book.

The RAILBRICKS team has actually thought about this in the past. Two topics usually come up: What would we put in it, and could we put it together and have it printed for an affordable price?

Hi Elroy,

this is something I'd consider as "best suited for the RB team" as leaders. You guys have generated a track of inspirational, fun, and most importantly, serious and peer-reviewed type of publications. The issues of the RB journal really deserve this title. The RB Journal is reference, I have said that before, I am saying this again and again.

A "book" though should not just be a book or collection. It should be an evaluated summary of the state of the art. It should have many, many references. It does not need to go to the details (e.g., building instructions). Some people claim that a book is outdated the day it comes out. Well, maybe true. But certainly not for a peer reviewed compendium. It will be instead a reference covering the most relevant things to date.

In science (forgive me to be nerdy here), good review articles or even good books (sometimes called encyclopedias) are the most valuable resources, if you'd ask me. I truly believe that "we" (as in: This community) have the expertise and also the skills at hand to come up with such a comprehensive collection.

This is going to be a major effort, I could not agree more. But with a couple of people on board willing to take on this challenge, "we" could really put a landmark.

The RB team is - in my view - really qualified to go ahead with this project.

Best regards,

Thorsten