Jump to content


How do you convert a 3d model into bricks?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 allanp

allanp

    Posts: 2705
    Joined: 15-September 06
    Member: 961
    Country: UK

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Hiya guys, I did a quick search but couldn't find anything, so my question is this. Is there any software out there I can download which would enable me to import a 3d model into it (like one made in truespace preferably) and then "legoize" it so I can build it out of bricks.

The reason I ask is that I would like to build very large scale cars with technic workings but an accurate brick built shell. It would also be nice to create VERY large scale things like T-rexes and dragons, real cool looking you know, not bright red!

I know the master model builders have access to such programs, but I have yet to find one.

Thanks.
Even the best can be made better, but most important is to be excellent to each other and party on dudes!!!!!!

#2 Lalror

Lalror

    Posts: 167
    Joined: 02-June 10
    Member: 11081

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:10 AM

Right now, there is not even a way to export LDD files to other formats.  Even then, it would take a fairly complex algorithm to make something like that happen.  Its one of those things that somebody might come up with someday, but if you seriously want to try to do it, try learning python scripting, and maybe using blender with several imported Lego pieces.

~Lalror

#3 Vincent Kessels

Vincent Kessels

  • Baby toilet + frying pan = flower


    Posts: 947
    Joined: 18-May 10
    Member: 10753
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:56 AM

I remember there was a program to convert a 3D model to Ldraw. I can't remember how it was called, but I think was written by a university student.

When I get home I will see if I have a bookmark somewhere.

#4 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21740
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:45 AM

View PostLalror, on 20 June 2011 - 02:10 AM, said:

Right now, there is not even a way to export LDD files to other formats.  Even then, it would take a fairly complex algorithm to make something like that happen.  Its one of those things that somebody might come up with someday, but if you seriously want to try to do it, try learning python scripting, and maybe using blender with several imported Lego pieces.

~Lalror
Note that such a program does exist for Master Builders. One of LLCA's mentioned it at an Ambassador Member session I was at, the 'Legoizer'. Googling that or 'Legolizer' does bring up some results.

#5 Philo

Philo

    Posts: 502
    Joined: 07-April 10
    Member: 10185
    Country: France

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:02 AM

There is the excellent LSculpt program from Bram Lambrecht. A tutorial is available here.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Lalror

Lalror

    Posts: 167
    Joined: 02-June 10
    Member: 11081

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 20 June 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

Note that such a program does exist for Master Builders. One of LLCA's mentioned it at an Ambassador Member session I was at, the 'Legoizer'. Googling that or 'Legolizer' does bring up some results.

Interesting, I would assume that is how Lego is able to build such accurate large scale models, such as giant minifigs that you see at Lego stores.  It must also take things such as stability in to consideration 'cause otherwise you would just have a bunch of 1x1's without any support.  Speaking of which, does anybody have or know instructions for a one foot tall "minifig," made from normal Lego bricks.  I have done some searching and I haven't found anything yet.

~Lalror

#7 legolijntje

legolijntje

    Posts: 2562
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11214
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:04 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 20 June 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

Note that such a program does exist for Master Builders. One of LLCA's mentioned it at an Ambassador Member session I was at, the 'Legoizer'. Googling that or 'Legolizer' does bring up some results.

I think you mean something like this:



#8 DLuders

DLuders

  • Technic Technician


    Posts: 5817
    Joined: 17-October 09
    Member: 7868
    Country: USA (WA State)

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostLalror, on 20 June 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

... does anybody have or know instructions for a one foot tall "minifig," made from normal Lego bricks?  
~Lalror

The 3723 LEGO Mini-Figure is taller than one foot, but I think you will enjoy building it.  There is a link to the PDF Building Instructions there.

Posted Image

#9 allanp

allanp

    Posts: 2705
    Joined: 15-September 06
    Member: 961
    Country: UK

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

View Postlegolijntje, on 20 June 2011 - 12:04 PM, said:

I think you mean something like this:



Yes that's what i'm looking for. It doesn't have to give me precise piece by piece instructions, just the contours in lego scale. Then I can figure out how to make it strong.

Thanks Philo, that Lsculpt program looks promising.
Even the best can be made better, but most important is to be excellent to each other and party on dudes!!!!!!

#10 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21740
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

View PostLalror, on 20 June 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

Interesting, I would assume that is how Lego is able to build such accurate large scale models, such as giant minifigs that you see at Lego stores.  
Indeed. The example the Master Builder showed the group I was part of was a kneeling life size camel from the Land of Adventure section of the park.

#11 Vincent Kessels

Vincent Kessels

  • Baby toilet + frying pan = flower


    Posts: 947
    Joined: 18-May 10
    Member: 10753
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:43 AM

View PostPhilo, on 20 June 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

There is the excellent LSculpt program from Bram Lambrecht.

Yep, that is the program I was talking about.

#12 Donavin123

Donavin123

    Posts: 2
    Joined: 20-July 12
    Member: 29789

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

I work at Legoland, the minifig models you are talking about are pretty complex to build, I have built one my self. I don't have instructions, but I have up close picks you want them.

#13 Donavin123

Donavin123

    Posts: 2
    Joined: 20-July 12
    Member: 29789

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

I work with the model builders and I was told the software, lego brick builder, is exclusive to them

View PostBrickdoctor, on 20 June 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

Note that such a program does exist for Master Builders. One of LLCA's mentioned it at an Ambassador Member session I was at, the 'Legoizer'. Googling that or 'Legolizer' does bring up some results.


#14 Superkalle

Superkalle

    Posts: 6105
    Joined: 21-December 08
    Member: 4755
    Country: Sweden

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

Nice heads up.

I managed to find this on YouTube:



#15 idunno101

idunno101
    Posts: 40
    Joined: 02-August 12
    Member: 29993
    Country: Canada

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostPhilo, on 20 June 2011 - 09:02 AM, said:

There is the excellent LSculpt program from Bram Lambrecht. A tutorial is available here.

Wow thats about as close as you can get to what the masters use :cry_happy:   it works great for me. :thumbup: :thumbup:


View PostSuperkalle, on 22 September 2012 - 03:53 PM, said:

Nice heads up.

I managed to find this on YouTube:


Good find I just hate it though that every Lego fan isn't able to have access to brickbuilder  :wall: :cry3:  :damn:
Posted Image


Visit BrickPicker.com

#16 Lttlcheeze

Lttlcheeze

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 16-November 15
    Member: 149848

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

Resurreciting an old thread here....

I've found the some of the current programs out there that will allow you to upload a 3D Model, and convert it to Lego:
LSculpt
BrickR
Brickify

But they all convert the 3D Model to only Bricks and/or Plates. Is there any out there that use Tiles, Slopes, Curves, etc. Basically the entire Lego parts library???

Bill

#17 GunwitchUK

GunwitchUK

    Posts: 49
    Joined: 05-February 16
    Member: 154426
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostLttlcheeze, on 29 January 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

Resurreciting an old thread here....

I've found the some of the current programs out there that will allow you to upload a 3D Model, and convert it to Lego:
LSculpt
BrickR
Brickify

But they all convert the 3D Model to only Bricks and/or Plates. Is there any out there that use Tiles, Slopes, Curves, etc. Basically the entire Lego parts library???

Bill

Couldn't you adjust the bricks yourself in LDD to slopes and tiles etc?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users