17 replies to this topic

#1 alienwar9

alienwar9

• Crazy Mega-City Designer

Member: 356

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

HELP! My building is ugly :grin:

Posted Image

The shape is done, but the color is just awful. I tried to make a good light grey building color, but it just screams blahhhh

Posted ImagePosted Image

I need the base color to still be light grey, since that's the only color building I don't have prominently in the city, but any style or mix of colors for the rest can do. ANYTHING is better than what I made. As long as its "realistic looking" :laugh:

Here's the LXF

WARNING: its 11,000 pieces (it is my build after all :sweet: )

Please help! Any ideas are super appreciated!!!!!!!

MOCs
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Member: 7868

Posted 17 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

I opened your LDD .lxf file, and saw your green accents between the windows.  Those highlights are good, but the green band around the center of your curved building looks a bit odd.  Green building colors against a grey city landscape (or a blue sky) don't look that good.  Recommend a beige building with Bluish-Grey or Light Blue accents, like these have:

Posted Image  Posted Image     Posted Image

Edited by DLuders, 17 June 2011 - 09:21 PM.

#3 treeboy

treeboy

Member: 18086

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:53 AM

I too like the beige color theme, but since you want to hang with the gray try reversing the highlight white with the gray of the "front" (rounded portion) maintaining the gray of the top bottom and "back". It lightens the look quite a bit, however, the white of LDD, at least on my monitor, isn't white white but rather egg-shelly. The green band I changed to beige and all in all it's pretty nice looking though considerably lighter in tone. Great building and I think the lighter tones will work in a city scape.

I also tried a sort of checker board effect maintaining the outside 1x6 gray brick grey and reversing the rest as described above. This gives it a more dark feel while maintaining the light tone and increasing the visual interest. Anyway some ideas there.
"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

#4 alienwar9

alienwar9

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:56 PM

Thanks guys! I did some recoloring with some of those suggestions (though I can't make the building beige since this is the second largest building, and the largest is already beige...and right next to it).

I'm still stuck and I wish I could make a poll :tongue:

numbered 1-11, which one looks the best? :laugh:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Sorry in advance for the picture sizes. Its really hard to get a good idea of what the colors look like with any smaller size.
(by the way, no, I did not have all those running in one LDD. Who do you think I am? :grin:)

MOCs

#5 treeboy

treeboy

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

11 in MHO
"When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

#6 badboytje88

badboytje88

• Bad Lick

Member: 1561

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

I say go for light pink! Or sand red.

Posted Image

Playing Bjorn Borchard Representative from Owlville in Tamamono┬┤s Party Lines Mafia

Posted Image
Just call me Peter Cedar

#7 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:59 PM

At the risk of sounding stupid, what are the differences between #9 and #10? I like those the best.

#8 legolijntje

legolijntje

Member: 11214

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:30 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 20 June 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, what are the differences between #9 and #10? I like those the best.

The stripes on the most left building.

#9 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

View Postlegolijntje, on 20 June 2011 - 08:30 PM, said:

The stripes on the most left building.
Ah, I see it now. Thanks.

I like #10 the best.

#10 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

I like #7, with its vertical dark "chain" pattern of the window frames.

#11 treeboy

treeboy

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:56 PM

View PostDLuders, on 20 June 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

I like #7, with its vertical dark "chain" pattern of the window frames.

Indeed, #7 is my second choice.

#12 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

I don't like the ones with the stripe in the middle of the round tower. They draw my attention right to that spot, but there doesn't appear to be anything special in that area.

#13 treeboy

treeboy

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:31 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 20 June 2011 - 09:14 PM, said:

I don't like the ones with the stripe in the middle of the round tower. They draw my attention right to that spot, but there doesn't appear to be anything special in that area.

Which stripe, The vertical or horizontal one?

#14 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:55 PM

View Posttreeboy, on 20 June 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

Which stripe, The vertical or horizontal one?
Horizontal.

#15 alienwar9

alienwar9

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:52 PM

:laugh: :laugh:  

sorry!!!! I finally figured out what the problem was...and so none of these color choices are good :tongue:

All the colors were too strong and drew away from the shape of the building itself. I completely forgot about legacy grey, so I'm doing a grey/bley striped pattern.

Posted Image

It doesn't look great in picture, but it does in the program so...LXF

Should I put back the green highlights?
opinions? :sweet:

Edited by alienwar9, 26 June 2011 - 03:55 PM.

MOCs

#16 DLuders

DLuders

• Technic Technician

Posted 26 June 2011 - 05:39 PM

@ alienwar9:  I opened up your latest LDD .lxf file for Building 31 above, and like the new color scheme.  I used LDDextended's Enhanced Graphics mode to see everything in sharp detail.  Since most building materials (steel, concrete, and stone) are gray, I like your Dark/Light Gray primary colors with the subtle vertical stripes on the big cylindrical tower.

Your building is group of individual shapes (tubes and rectangular blocks) that emphasize the VERTICAL nature of the skyscraper.  I would not add a horizontal stripe; that would be more suitable for a low, wide building.

I like the sloped building element over the front entrance carport (on the side not visible in your screenprint above).  I like the curved windows on (what seems to be) the two exterior elevator shafts.

If you ever build this 11,900-brick creation with real Lego bricks, it will be most impressive to see!   :thumbup: :thumbup:

#17 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 26 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

View Postalienwar9, on 26 June 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

It doesn't look great in picture, but it does in the program so...LXF
Do we dare click that link? Will our computers crash? :poke:

I never really liked the green; I say leave it off.

#18 treeboy

treeboy

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:48 AM

Looks good! I would like to see it rendered with the rest of the city and a sky background of some type...guess I could do the background myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users