oo7

The Black Pearl

thindexedgif.gif 15a

I posted this in the Make me PotC stickers thread and Mister Phes suggested it should get its own thread. Two versions of The Black Pearl, a ghost-ship from the PotC trilogy (yes, trilogy) I lay before you. Now the question at hand is which one do you like better, and why?

PrincessLego's BS Gallery

2black_pearl_1.jpg

Tculrich's BS Gallery

black_pearl_1.jpg

I like the first better, because its not a BSB with an extra mast and black pieces, about the trilogy, maybe there will be four parts. I like the first better because its an original design, and is more accurate to the movie than the second, a pity about the brown hull, lego never released black hull pieces :-( Keep an eye out for MY Black Pearl(according to bricklink it will take a long long time)!

Actually Mr Tiber The LEGO Company did release a black hull for the Crossbone Clipper. But obviously this ship is of the smaller variety so even if you did acquire the hull pieces you wouldn't be able to make something as big as the Black Pearl.

What do you mean by "Keep an eye out for MY Black Pearl(according to bricklink it will take a long long time)!"? Since when did you have a Black Pearl and what's it got to do with Bricklink?

I believe Tculrich's version captures the proportions better while PrincessLego's ship is for more detailed.

black-pearl.jpg

Since I favor overall form before function I will have to go with Tculrich's version.

Princesslego's ship has some excellent architecture, but the sterncastle is a bit too massive(height wise) compared to the rest of the ship.

What do you mean by "Keep an eye out for MY Black Pearl(according to bricklink it will take a long long time)!"? Since when did you have a Black Pearl and what's it got to do with Bricklink?

I believe Mr. Tiber is in the process of building a Black Pearl but he doesn't have enough parts so he needs to buy more off Bricklink, and that will take a long time. But anyway, back on topic, I think I like the first too, it's... beefier. Although I don't like the trans-green or the crew wearing those batty fright-knight helmets (no pun intended).

Your're right Mr oo7, thank you. Mr Phes, your'e right about the black hull pieces, but they are too narrow for a black pearl. It's a pity that nobody builded an accurate black pearl, but that's probarly because you can't see the black pearl very properly in potc 1.

And there's another very good reason why you can't see the Black Pearl properly in the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. It was because it wasn't actually a ship, it was a barge with a deck built on to it. However, in Dead Man's Chest things were taken further and an actual ship was converted into the Black Pearl so therefore more and better shots of it could be taken.

Mr Tiber, have these two MOCs helped you plan your design for your Black Pearl?

Well it helped me make a pretty important decision: building the black pearl, I was planning to build another frigate to battle my old one, but since I already have a frigate , I decided to build the Black Pearl, a pirate ship can battle my frigate too. These Black Pearls motivated me because I also want to build a LEGO Black Pearl. Firstly I decided not to build a Black Pearl because that bloody kraken sunk it, but we will see the Pearl again in part 3 At worlds end...BTW does anyone of you knows how much cannons are on the Black Pearl?

Arrr

Mr Tiber

Princesslego's model looks better, while Tculrich's ship is slightly more movie-accurate. Did princess even watch the movie? It showed a close up of the figurehead for crying out loud, and it certainly didn't hold two swords or wear an ugly mask. I agree the sterncastle is too big.

ship.jpg

Here's an image of Davy Jones Ship. I imagine someone will eventually build a version of it. The only good way to go about it will be in a brick built form.

davyjonesship2.jpg

A site that contains some nice shots of other POTC ships.

Neither of the ships are proportionally correct. Look at the size of the people compared to the vessel:

(I can't say I blame them. LEGO is challenging like that.)

BlackPearl22005.jpg

Who is this Princess anyways? Do we have any more information beyond that name?

Regardless of whether she watched the movie or not it doesn't mean she had sufficient pieces or building experience to produce what we see on screen. Maybe this is her first MOC so on that basis she's probably done a good job Black Pearl-a-lizing a Black Seas Barracuda or Black Pearl Barracuda!

There is one way to gain a black hull. It's modding a big piece. But, i would recomend black krylon spraypaint.

I use it on some of my models and it works rather well. Just a suggestion if want to do it.

Imperials

I'm a bit short on hull parts, and i never liked painting big LEGO pieces,

If you want to build a black Black Pearl, I think black invert slopes are an option, but a brown hull also does the job :-)

Also for the Flying Dutchman, dark gray invert slopes are probarly the best. A Black Pearl on a brown hull isn't that bad, but I bet that it would look terrible on the Flying dutchman!

Arrr

Mr Tiber

There is one way to gain a black hull. It's modding a big piece. But, i would recomend black krylon spraypaint.

I use it on some of my models and it works rather well. Just a suggestion if want to do it.

Which pieces do you use the spraypaint on? Do you have any pictures of them so we can see how they turn out?

Here are a couple. A cannon and a flag.

Cannon+ Flag

picture_333.jpg

Other View

picture_334.jpg

The cannon used to be dark gray and the flag white.

I scraped off the paint on the pegs so that it'd be easier to move.

Wow, that cannon looks great! It has a nice looking iron texture to it, or it just might be that the photograpgh is grainy. Although I see no reason to spraypaint a flag, as they come in black.

I had two canons painted. No it's not the picture, it has a grainy feel to the canon.for a black flag, i just had a little fun with this one :-D. I have another one waiting to dry so i'll post a pic of it later.

davyjonesship2.jpg

A site that contains some nice shots of other POTC ships.

Thanks to Berry Syedow's find, I've been inspired to build that Fyining Dutchman's ship.

I have a teaser pic here!

Wow, that's great! I was thinking of trying to make one after I saw the movie (with my airplane fusalage X-st it D) but I decided againt it becuase everything about it was just too hard. I'm lovin' those fish, This will be amazing when finished.

Im with oo7. It's nice and can't wait to see a finished version! Also like 007, i like the use of the fishes.

Edit. New Pics of canons. The one on the left is the new one.

picture_together23.jpg

(Incase you haven't noticed. This was photoshoped. I didn't have two canon bases so i seperated them and took away the background of one picture and just put the canon there, harder than it seems]. same with the guy, he's photoshoped too. )

I am currently building a movie accurate Black Pearl, I just need 23 more cannons...

I will post pics when it is finshed...

I am currently building a movie accurate Black Pearl, I just need 23 more cannons...

I will post pics when it is finshed...

That sounds like you know how much cannons she has, how much mate?! *skull*

She has 30 cannons in total..also she has 3 descks(including the captain cabin and the kitchens)...I know my stuff!

Thank you!!!! I needed that!! How do you know all this?! Is there a site, with interior pics? Please tell me it is!!

I have watched the Curse of the Black Pearl many times, and I have pieced my information from that...