MOC Johnny Thunder set -Hero's Tower

15 replies to this topic

#1 Graynar

Graynar

• JT Revival !!

Member: 510

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:30 PM

As part of the JT (Johnny Thunder) revival, realizing we may never see him return in LEGO for real, I have started a pretend theme on him as he visits the land of castles. With some old villains, and a new one.

Posted Image

This set would probably be 49.99 American or 69.99 Canadian. With 475 pieces, and 8 figures, (9 if you include the skeleton).

Figures

Not a bad looking tower...
A side shot of the tower

The back side, showing the interior and 4 levels. (The second floor was cut open for playability.)

Interior

The whole bottom floor can be moved with your hand as you send Johnny to his dea- umm into danger.

Floor trap

To get from level to level, JT can use the chain to go up, but he has to watch out for the ax.

Ax trap and chain elevator
Where's the treasure?
Observe my insane sneakyness...
Every JT set has to have one of these...
The Tank
Insert the dynamite into the tank and...
...KABOOM!
Awesome troop truck
The accessories

The folder

Posted Image
The first set.
The whole JT land of castles gallery

Hope you enjoyed it! Please tell me what you think of it. More sets to come...

#2 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 22 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

Wow Graynar  8-

I must say that this MOC has raised your JT revival skills a whole lot  *y*  *y*

Its really great  8-

That is a set I would definitly buy  ;-)  All details, figs, and "gadgets" are really sweet !! But you forgot the catapult/ASD (Annying Shooting Device)

I love your vehicles !! The "keep out" printed tile in front of the tank made me laugh hehe !!

Great MOC and I definitly want to see more of them  ;-)

*yoda*

#3 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 22 July 2006 - 09:46 PM

8-

VERY nice, I would love for Lego to produce a set like this, especially with the pointed visor  *wub*

I love the action, number of minifigs, and everything!  This is what they used to be like  :'-(

#4 Kahgarak

Kahgarak

Member: 514

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

The dynamite mechanism is quite ingenius!

Great job. *y*

#5 Graynar

Graynar

• JT Revival !!

Posted 23 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the replies!

But you forgot the catapult/ASD (Annying Shooting Device)

Yeah, I got to put one in the next set. Maybe that's why they didn't like it over at CC, needs to be more TLCish.

I would love for Lego to produce a set like this, especially with the pointed visor

Me to, I miss that visor piece -only ever having one. :-/

The dynamite mechanism is quite ingenius!

Thanks!

#6 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

I would buy that *y*

#7 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:11 PM

I like the idea to use the explosion system seen in Wild West sets. It is a good idea that I used for my city bank few years ago... Good set with a LEGO look

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

• Saloon Gambler

Member: 646

Posted 28 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

well, im glad i found this one after leaving my comments on your previous thread.

this one is much improved, the overall eye appeal is fantasic.  the minifig/story conflict in the set is much more clear than in "Key of the Castle Dock" (see comments in previous thread).

again, the photoshopping is excellent.  but im still having trouble with the blue coats.  have you ever considered making some decals ???

the tank explosion is a great borrow from the well designed WW sets.  i love seeing this !!!  great idea.  and even the small detail of the brick steps at the middle front of the base is awesome !!!  reminds me of a smaller version of the orient expedition castle.

do you have any other MOC threads i could be missing (i've been away for a couple weeks) ???

- Brick Miner
check out my about me thread.

also, check out The LEGO Western Expansion MOC Page at MOCpages.com !!!
and Brick Miner's Extras BrickLink.com store !!!

#9 Graynar

Graynar

• JT Revival !!

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the comments!

do you have any other MOC threads i could be missing (i've been away for a couple weeks)

I have made a pretend castle theme. But those pics are not in my Brickshelf folder. Currently, I only have the JT sets being made. I will probably make other themes as well. *y*

I really need to dig up those castle pics, they're about a year old.

have you ever considered making some decals ???

I did once, but I don't have stickers, so I glued the torso's to the minifigs. (Not something I'm going to repeat 8- )

A quote from your other response:

i do think that by adding the blue coats (a icon very symbloic of the pirates theme) you loose a lot, instead of adding. its kinda tricky to juxtapose such iconography, and do it well. because those torsos are so visually connected to LEGO pirates we get a feeling of disorder. something i would not recommend, and brings this MOC even farther from an offical LEGO release.

I wanted to put in some blue coats because I rareyly use them in anything. (Having 14 of them) I wanted them to have some use. It was either blue coats, or some soldier minifigs I made for the villains, I even gave Johnny some soldier figs to help him out. But they are yet tobe used. I see now the blue coats were a bad idea, but it'll be hard to change that now. I'll just use them a bit less in the remaining sets.

We have the main big set, a little set, and one medium to go. ;-)

EDIT: Here's some old sets I found: Please note, that they're way older than the new JT sets, so my photoshopping isn't too great. I should probably start a new thread on this.

This one isn't that good

Castle of the Wizard
The castle was modular

This was a popular one: Midnight attack

The White castle

Dragon Master siege force

The folder for more pics on all

Battle Bridge

#10 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

Member: 839

Posted 28 July 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hey I love the use of the bluecoats. They make me think of the lancers in zorro, or the Soldiers at the end of temple of doom.
Maybe you should have given them blue pants to make them look more modern , or perhaps grey...
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#11 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

• Saloon Gambler

Posted 28 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

highlandcattle brings up a good point...  the blue coat torsos could partially be removed from the imperial soldier look by giving them different color pants and/or epaulets.

may help a little, however, i would still suggest decals.

I don't have stickers, so I glued the torso's to the minifigs. (Not something I'm going to repeat)
do you mean you glued the paper decal to the torso ???  if so, why are you not going to repeat ???  bad experience ???

- BrickMiner

#12 Graynar

Graynar

• JT Revival !!

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

do you mean you glued the paper decal to the torso ??? if so, why are you not going to repeat ??? bad experience ???

Well it took a few hours to get the glue off. *n*

Maybe you should have given them blue pants to make them look more modern , or perhaps grey...

That is a good point! I'll have to remember that! *y*

#13 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

• Saloon Gambler

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:16 AM

View PostGraynar, on Jul 28 2006, 07:42 PM, said:

do you mean you glued the paper decal to the torso ??? if so, why are you not going to repeat ??? bad experience ???

Well it took a few hours to get the glue off.
but why would you want to take it off, after putting it on ???  do you not keep your MOCs build very long ???

BTW, that battle bridge shot is amazing !!!  great job, i'd like to see more of it posted here !!!

- BM

#14 Graynar

Graynar

• JT Revival !!

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:17 AM

but why would you want to take it off, after putting it on ??? do you not keep your MOCs build very long ???

I'm not much of a customiser. I customise sails, and sheets for LEGO beds, but that's basically it.

I didn't keep the custom torso's on long because I like using offical ones more.

#15 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

• Saloon Gambler

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:36 AM

View PostGraynar, on Jul 30 2006, 11:17 PM, said:

I'm not much of a customiser. I customise sails, and sheets for LEGO beds, but that's basically it.
sheets on the beds, now thats fun !!!  i guess you would have to since LEGO would never give us something so "ordinary."

however, now that im thinking of it, there are a couple good pillow options, there is a sloped 2x2 brick, and a new 1x2 tile in the sponge bob sets !!!

also, for this MOC and your entire "Johnny in the Land of the Castles" theme, have you tried a different tree option ???  id like to see somthing like in king's mountain fortress.

- BrickMiner

#16 DarthBrick429

DarthBrick429

Member: 567

Posted 31 July 2006 - 11:27 PM

Truthfully, your mocs have inspired me to create my own Johnny Thunder theme. I've already gotten 2 sets done and hoping to post pics soon. Nice job!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users