• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RussianBear

RussianBear

Member: 17845

Posted 19 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Posted Image

Hello
Today I want to show you my shabby little vignette " Aborigine " )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you for viewing
Leave your comments!...

Edited by Rufus, 29 May 2011 - 10:06 AM.
Indexed

#2 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Member: 4757

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:24 PM

That's a nice little scene but I think it is a better fit in the Special Themes where a dedicated bunch adore the collectable minifigures. I'll move it over there for all those chaps to look at.

If Anime has taught me anything, we're gonna need a gunsword

-

Its the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 gambort

gambort

Member: 7076

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:04 AM

While I'm sure you weren't to know this, the title and subject of this vignette could come across as quite racist in Australia. It's kind of like making a vignette of a blonde haired minifig passed out next to a bottle of vodka and calling it 'Russian'.

tim
Posted Image Checkout my flickr page for my MOCs.

#4 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

View Postgambort, on 20 May 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

While I'm sure you weren't to know this, the title and subject of this vignette could come across as quite racist in Australia. It's kind of like making a vignette of a blonde haired minifig passed out next to a bottle of vodka and calling it 'Russian'.

tim

Ok, so your post was totally over the top and offensive.
This member uses a translator to post here and maybe the closest English word to his term of choice was Aborigine, maybe not the most correct word to use when translated, but I do not think he set out to offend, unlike your aim with your post.

RB, I am going to change the title to Caveman (as that is the name of the figure) Ok?

-

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 gambort

gambort

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

View PostPeppermint_M, on 20 May 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Ok, so your post was totally over the top and offensive.
This member uses a translator to post here and maybe the closest English word to his term of choice was Aborigine, maybe not the most correct word to use when translated, but I do not think he set out to offend, unlike your aim with your post.

RB, I am going to change the title to Caveman (as that is the name of the figure) Ok?

Huh? My goal was to point out that it would be considered offensive and illustrate with an example. I don't like being told something might be rude without being given an idea why. So following the 'do unto others as you would have other do unto you' principle I extend this to others.

Although I do find your use of underlining when it should be italics a personal affront. You're a very bad mannered cur.

Tim

Edited by gambort, 20 May 2011 - 11:03 PM.

#6 Gabe

Gabe

• Griffin Master

Member: 12135

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

View Postgambort, on 20 May 2011 - 09:04 AM, said:

tim

Well, "aborigine" simply means an indiginous person and is not specific to any region, so i'd say that the original title was fine as it was. If he had called it "Australian aborigine", that would be a different matter entirely. Also, your illustrative comparison was a little off, as RussianBear's vig is clearly not a parody.

Anyway, enough of that. That's a cute little vig RussianBear, i'm curious about the little dragon/dinosaur.. Is it his pet? Will he have to share his fish with it??  :laugh:
Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#7 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

View Postgambort, on 20 May 2011 - 11:03 PM, said:

Huh? My goal was to point out that it would be considered offensive and illustrate with an example. I don't like being told something might be rude without being given an idea why. So following the 'do unto others as you would have other do unto you' principle I extend this to others.

Although I do find your use of underlining when it should be italics a personal affront. You're a very bad mannered cur.

Tim

Oh, I'm sorry I only use italics online to denote sarcasm. I underline to stress a point (em-boldened text looks so gauche). It's a handy little bit of "netiquette" I developed within other internet comminities.

RB? I hope you didn't mind me changing the name, it does avoid further issues in the future.

-

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 Bricks2000

Bricks2000

Member: 14098

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:14 PM

Nice vig, RussianBear! Simplistic, yet good looking.  :classic:
Go Bluecoats!

Posted Image
Now playing Died as Marcus Mouse (scum) in Mafia School: Fabuland Housewives.

my brickshelf:
http://www.brickshel...gi?m=Bricks2000

#9 gambort

gambort

Posted 21 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

View PostPeppermint_M, on 21 May 2011 - 01:03 PM, said:

Oh, I'm sorry I only use italics online to denote sarcasm. I underline to stress a point (em-boldened text looks so gauche). It's a handy little bit of "netiquette" I developed within other internet comminities.

RB? I hope you didn't mind me changing the name, it does avoid further issues in the future.

Perhaps you should brush up on basic writing skills and only then proceed to "netiquette". Your other internet communities obviously aren't familiar with the standard use of typographical convention but I am.

Italics is traditionally used to stress a point, to indicate use of a lengua extranjera and a few other things. Your use in sarcasm was, however, correct as you are emphasising the point, however ignorant the point may be.

Thanks for the lesson in gaucheness, next time it might even be by information rather than example.

Tim

Edited by gambort, 21 May 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#10 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:40 PM

Ok, I think people need to relax a little bit in this topic. It seems to be veering off into an unpleasant direction. I am going to enjoy this creation for the quality of the build rather than any racial connotations implied, inferred or imagined. Lets all try to enjoy Eurobricks and move along (nothing to see here  :laugh: )

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  

#11 LEGO AFOL

LEGO AFOL

Member: 16430

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

I also wanna do this for my caveman. You inspired me.

I want to do this with his wife in series 5. A pair of couple.

#12 Stardusty

Stardusty

Member: 14245

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

Nice little vignette, RB.
"To build, or not to build, that is the question."
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users