Brickdoctor

EB's LDD Relay Community Builds

What do you want to see in the next RCB? (this poll will be updated with options as suggestions come in)  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What should the subject of RCB 5 be?

• TwinLUG Micropolis-bases City
    • Castle
    • Town
    • Western Town
    • Renaissance-era Street
    • Ninjago/Feudal Japan Village
    • Ancient Civilization City
    • Landscape
    • Space
    • Trains
    • Pirates
    • Post-Apoc
  2. 2. What are some features you want in the next RCB? (pick as many as you want)

• More parts allowed
    • Any colors for any bricks allowed
    • More builders
    • DbM-mode only
    • LDD 'All-Star' builders RCB
    • None - I think they're great as is!
    • BasOne is not allowed to sing.
    • Each builder turns the previous model into something else

In the past year, one of the things that's become popular here on EB is the LDD Relay Community Build (RCB). The basic idea is that one builder starts off a model, adds a certain amount of pieces, and passes the file on to the next builder who adds more bricks, and passes it on to the builder after him, and the cycle repeats until all the builders have built. It's a lot of fun seeing the model grow and the different ideas that each builder has.

So,

If you are interested in participating in an RCB, you simply have to wait for an RCB to get started and sign up. Make sure you read the rules set by the host before joining.

If you are interested in hosting an RCB, you need to contact the LDD Moderator, Superkalle, and get permission first. Hosting an RCB can be as simple as coordinating PMs or as complicated as creating graphics and color-correcting models, depending on how you set things up.

If you have an idea for a future RCB, feel free to discuss here. :classic: Any idea is acceptable, but as a general guideline it might be advisable to avoid RCBs based on licensed themes, since with definite source material and storyline, the canonocity and accuracy of the model could lead to not-so-fun discussions.

smalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.png

Current RCB:

lddscreenshot60.png

Pirate Fort RCB

Hosted by: Piratedave84

Description: A Pirates-themed fort and small harbor. Sixteen builders will add up to 300 bricks each to complete the fourth RCB.

LDD Mode: 4.1.3, LE Mode

Participants:

Canticleer Blues

Bart

KingoftheZempk

Masked Builder

The Legonater

Skipper

Darkdragon

CallMePieOrDie

Bricksandparts

Alopex

prateek

BasOne

Lalror

Alasdair Ryan

Brickdoctor

Piratedave84

smalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.pngsmalllddlogo.png

Past RCBs:

rcb1.png

Cafe Corner RCB

Hosted by: ADHO15

Description: This was the first RCB, a modular building. Twenty builders added up to 150 bricks each to the build to complete the model.

LDD Mode: 4.0, LU Mode

Participants:

Superkalle

ADHO15

CorneliusMurdock

alienwar9

SpiderSpaceman

CallMePie

Zblj

Eskallon

prateek

The Soup Nazi

wmanidi

Calabar

JCC1004

Daedalus304

Brickdoctor

KielDaMan

Bojan Pavsic

private_lego

mr. lego_bildur

Hinckley

rcb1.5.png

Free-build RCB

Hosted by: alienwar9

Description: A free-build RCB, builders could build whatever they wanted and take as many turns as they wanted. Nine turns of up to 150 bricks were completed, but this RCB was never finished.

LDD Mode: 4.0, LU Mode Two bricks in this model no longer conform to the attachment rules of LDD and will be removed upon startup.

Participants:

alienwar9

SpiderSpaceman

wmanidi

Daedalus304

lisqr

prateek

bricked one

Brickdoctor

prateek

eblddrcb2bannersmall.png

rcb2.png

Medieval Market Village RCB

Hosted by: Brickdoctor and Burman; color-checked by Aanchir

Description: This build expanded on set 10193, the Medieval Market Village. Twenty builders added up to 250 bricks each to finish the model.

LDD Mode: Originally 4.0, LU Mode; final turn 4.1, LE Mode due to update of software

Participants:

KingoftheZempk

efullner

private_lego

CallMePie

Piratedave84

Alopex

Masked Builder

Eskallon

Zeya

wmanidi

Swiss Army Droid

prateek

alienwar9

BasOne

Burman

J4ke

brickmack

Fuzzylegobricks

Zblj

Brickdoctor

rcb_3_bannerblacksmall.png

lrg-20-16.png

Classic Space RCB

Hosted by: Brickdoctor; color-checked by Aanchir

Description: A Classic Space-themed build of an outpost on the Moon. Twenty builders add up to 250 parts each.

LDD Mode 4.1.7; LE Mode; Turn 13 and later 4.1.8; LE Mode

Participants:

Calabar

The Legonater

slacker int

DJ Force

Captain Tamamono

Alopex

Eskallon

SilentMode

moop2000

MattTheLegoman

CorneliusMurdock

BasOne

SpiderSpaceman

PiratePete

lisqr

Piratedave84

prateek

Lalror

CallMePieorDie

Brickdoctor

Future RCBs:

Prospective Hosts:

Commander Uno

CallMePieOrDie

Alopex (Post-apoc RCB)

6420220963_2445bee72d_z.jpg

I'd love to see a collective build incorporate an environment. It may seem hard to say, cooperatively build a lake, mountain, or forest, but as I've seen in these builds people are remarkably good at working together towards completing something.

So, say for the space outpost, it would be on rocky terrain, or on an alien plant forest (think avatar or Felucia, star wars mushroom planet)

For a castle environment, a castle on a mountain face, next to a sea line.

A city could include streets, parks, rivers, etc

A western town could include mines, railroad tracks, etc.

Since these environments might make the whole thing piece intensive, the moderator could take each part and put them together, and send only the surrounding part for the next builder.

A few other ideas for builds:

Western town! Please?

space outpost: asteroid mining outpost (built on asteroid), floating night club

Castle...an actual castle

Apoc themed hideout

ninja-go fortress / medieval Japanese village

Renaissance era street

Ancient city: Roman, Atlantis, Aztec, Egyptian.

Thanks for setting up the poll Brickdoctor, I have some ideas of my own for a LDD Community Build.

35 builders to get more of the members involved

A space station would be sweet!!

After the build is over transfer the build over to my property on LU.

Just a couple of ideas for the next build.

I'm the host of the 3rd build (pending)

No offence, but can we have an experienced (and coherent) member hosting something like this? Thanks.

As for the polls.. I was torn between Micropolis, but ultimately went with SPACE!

I'm all for more pieces, but I fear some people's computers may explode towards the end of the RCB. Mine was getting unhappy towards the end of the MMV.

No offence, but can we have an experienced (and coherent) member hosting something like this? Thanks.

I'm experienced! I just don't know how to get a better title than vassal.

Edited by Commander Uno

I'm experienced! I just don't know how to get a better title than vassal.

Read all about ranks here.

As for experience, I personally would prefer for someone who's participated in a past RCB as the host, but if Superkalle gives you the green light I'll trust his judgment.

As stated before, if it's a Space theme then I'm in.

On another note: not suggesting it's happened, but let's not restrict participation in RCBs to the "elite" or most experienced members. Otherwise, call it an RGB (relay group build).

On another note: not suggesting it's happened, but let's not restrict participation in RCBs to the "elite" or most experienced members. Otherwise, call it an RGB (relay group build).

I suppose this is referring to the All-Star RCB idea? That was mine, and I was thinking it might be better with some of the more complicated theme ideas. For the normal RCBs, those are usually on a first-come, first-serve sign up basis, but the final decision would, of course, be up to the host.

I suppose this is referring to the All-Star RCB idea? That was mine, and I was thinking it might be better with some of the more complicated theme ideas.

That would actually be cool. I'm just saying, because of how things have gone so far with the builds, let's not automatically exclude less experienced people from RCBs in general.

Read all about ranks here.

As for experience, I personally would prefer for someone who's participated in a past RCB as the host, but if Superkalle gives you the green light I'll trust his judgment.

I agree with the Doc and J4ake on this one - someone a bit more experienced would be suitable.

That would actually be cool. I'm just saying, because of how things have gone so far with the builds, let's not automatically exclude less experienced people from RCBs in general.

Oh, of course, definitely agree. If we excluded new builders we'd just end up with the same ones over and over again. (or mostly the same if we forced builders to prove themselves first in LDD)

I agree with the Doc and J4ake on this one - someone a bit more experienced would be suitable.

Commander Uno, my suggestion would be to sign up once the next RCB comes along, and ask again about hosting after you've participated a couple times and maybe attained the rank of Citizen. Would give you a lot more credibility as a host.

Ok, maybe the next time I can host it.... Putting name on invisible sign up sheet....

Ok, just sign me up for the build then.

Edited by Commander Uno

I voted for space theme and more builders.

Mabye something with alien conquest parts/minifigs, but that for you all to decide.

I voted for space theme and more builders.

Mabye something with alien conquest parts/minifigs, but that for you all to decide.

Same for me, but I hope for Classic Space (or "Futuron"/"Space Police I" style).

Besides I'd like a smaller number of pieces for each builder, so that a single thing would be created by many users.

I agree with a Space build being next... :classic: What about waring Space Factions, instead of deciding on just one theme? It might allow a greater degree of creativity then just saying it must be Classic, Blacktron, ETC. :classic: And, I am still waiting on my Tile (Assuming it was sent), but a big Thank You for giving out such a generous reward.

W.Manidi

Edit: Got my tile... Thanks!

Edited by wmanidi

Ok, maybe the next time I can host it.... Putting name on invisible sign up sheet....

Ok, just sign me up for the build then.

You can't sign up for RCB 3 now, (you'll have to do it when the RCB 3 topic is posted, and some hosts require a PM sign-up) but I'll put you down under future hosts.

I hope for Classic Space (or "Futuron"/"Space Police I" style).

I agree. Classic Space would also be the only Space theme to really look decent without any prints (other than face, of course), so it would be easy to work with in LDD.

But remember, Classic Space makes use of TrYellow, which means you're restricted to just the two Atlantis cockpits.

There's the TrBlue option, though. But again, only a handful of canopies and panels.

But remember, Classic Space makes use of TrYellow, which means you're restricted to just the two Atlantis cockpits.

There's the TrBlue option, though. But again, only a handful of canopies and panels.

I suppose. Maybe the Classic Space one should be the one where we get to use any colors, then.

I like the idea of a Apoc build (or city), we could perhaps go with a space one though as it is another one of those main themes. :thumbup:

I agree. Classic Space would also be the only Space theme to really look decent without any prints (other than face, of course), so it would be easy to work with in LDD.

I don't know about that. I've seen some amazing space creations out there without the need for printed figs, and the quality of previous RCBs tells me this community can come up with some amazing builds without the need for tons of figs. That's why an apoc themed build doesn't scare me (even with the usual apoc moc :laugh: full of custom figs).

oh poop...now I want to vote for apoc theme :tongue:

You can't sign up for RCB 3 now, (you'll have to do it when the RCB 3 topic is posted, and some hosts require a PM sign-up) but I'll put you down under future hosts.

Thanks, Brickdoctor. I'll really try to get more involved in the community before it's my time to host.

Great idea! Maybe Blacktron would work? Do you think so?

You know you can change colors in LDD Extended Mode, right?

EDIT: We can now use the just new update LDD 4.1.7

Edited by Commander Uno

Well, I think maybe more colors and pieces would be nice to use, but the colors have to be reasonable, as in no trans-clear tires and such. I'm fine with just about anything on the list. An idea a community build for new LDD users, which could, while a small community build, would give builders experience in designing in LDD.

I would love to have a chance at this. I saw someone explaining that allowing too many people on the project could cause problem as some people's computer may choke on large project. An alternative for those with older computer is to sent the next person a few picture showing the project at the stage and the next person then decide where to add his/her expansion. Then get part (ie just the floor of the section he/she wants) and he/she then can add to it. The new addition can then be merged into larger project.

I do have a decent computer, I once took the LXF for 4 modular buildings (CC, GG, FB, and GE), joined 4 of them together, duplicated them 3 more times (duplicate corner building removed) to form a block. My computer were reduced to crawling pace at over 20,000 pieces total and took about 30 seconds to completely explode it in LDD 3

I don't know about that. I've seen some amazing space creations out there without the need for printed figs, and the quality of previous RCBs tells me this community can come up with some amazing builds without the need for tons of figs.

But as far as the 'figs themselves go, a non-printed Classic Space minifig would look better than, say, a non-printed SP 1 minifig. Not that the model as a whole would suffer that much, but I think the minifigs themselves would just look better.

You know you can change colors in LDD Extended Mode, right?

One of the things we usually do in RCBs is that you can't use a brick in a color it hasn't been produced in by TLG before. We have Aanchir color-check the models for that. One of the options in the Features poll is to use any color on any brick.

One of the things we usually do in RCBs is that you can't use a brick in a color it hasn't been produced in by TLG before. We have Aanchir color-check the models for that. One of the options in the Features poll is to use any color on any brick.

Even if we do get that option, we still need to keep realistic. No one is going to believe a 33mm wagon wheel in trans-green color or a purple cow. ;)