Bernie56

Flex Tracks & 10219 Maersk Loco

My 10219 Maersk Train Loco seems to have a hard time going past a small stretch of flex track. Anybody else seen this and if you have, how did you resolve it? The wheels spin a bit and I have to nudge it with my fingers to get it past the small stretch that I was forced to use as the regular curved and straight plates just did not fit.

Most trains will stop on Flex track. It's actually quite normal as it happens on the City trains as well.

It's just One of the reasons why I hate Flex track. default_sadnew.gif

Most trains will stop on Flex track. It's actually quite normal as it happens on the City trains as well.

It's just One of the reasons why I hate Flex track. default_sadnew.gif

I've to see my first train to have problems with flex track, they all pass smoothly.

I do have my flex track braced so it won't move out of the position I want it in when a train passes.

I'm not using any flex track, but my Emerald Night gets stuck on regular track if there is just a slight upgrade to the track (just talking about one City road/base plate. This is probably not your problem, but what I find is the rubber rings around the wheels get dust/dirt on them causing the train to loose traction. Perhaps it's a similar issue in that there's not enough traction for the flex track. Perhaps an extra set of rubber wheels (if you can purchase them) may help you.

Solution:

1. Pick up flex track.

2. Put in to this container: :sadnew:

recyclebin2.jpg

Simples!

I also hate flex track...

Edited by Brickimad

Solution:

1. Pick up flex track.

2. Put in to this container: :sadnew:

Wait, wait, no that fast: You may want to keep some of the flextrack pieces; they are excellent for 1) 9V insulation purposes (loop backs) and 2) the pieces are also very handy to deal with little "offsets" too large to go with the regular curves/straights "bending".

Other than that (replacement for regular curves that is): No. 2.

Regards,

Thorsten

It appears to be an overall design fault on Lego's part, motors, track and wheel with the tiny rubber tyres ! :look:

I wished I had flexi-track for the train show I was at I could off displayed more trains, etc., at the same time. But my custom engine had massive traction problems especially on curves ! :blush:

If the wheels spin, I say it's weight problem....that is not enough above the drive wheels applying down force on to the track. Of course you can't add too much the train won't be able to move.

Brick On ! :grin:

But my custom engine had massive traction problems especially on curves ... If the wheels spin, I say it's weight problem

Hi LT,

traction problems are sure a hard thing to deal with. I am having them every single time when building an engine. So here is what I have learned so far - flex track is making life NOT easier ... :look:

If you do observe excessive wheel spinning, I agree entirely with what you said - it basically is a weight problem. But it could also be some sort of "uneven track, slopes, downgrade problem" (wheel lift off); maybe the loco design itself cannot handle that (most of my locos are too long to have the tolerance of taking serious slopes/bumps issues well). Flex track + bumps is a killer in this regard.

If you just have issues in curves (and NOT on straights) than it may depend: Wheel spinning? Yes, wheel adhesion is bad so weight might help. But you may also suffer from serious friction increase - regular LEGO curves are tight. In that case any weight increase may entirely shut down you engine, because the increased adhesive forces could challenged you motive power too much.

So it is basically an in-between thing: You need to balance motive power (torque), adhesions forces (weight, rubber bands), and engine design (tolerances in your powered trucks etc.)

But I agree entirely with what you said: There is some use for flex track - but I guess other than originally planned up there ...

Regards,

Thorsten

Yep, like I said there can be too little weight, but also too much weight. I guess it calls for a balance between the two or a repositioning of weight over the drive wheels while not adding to the overall weight of the particular vehicle in question. :wink:

I put dual motors on my yellow Maersk and it is the best performing loco in my fleet. Eats up almost any track or terrain you throw at it. I do have traction problems with some of my other single motor locos at times. I'll be grabbing some extra motors at some stage to dual motor a few more of them

Flex track does have some issues (doesn't look good, can have traction problems in some circumstances) but it's also incredibly useful in fitting layouts together. Some track combinations just don't work without it, other take up much more space using standard track pieces.

All in all I see it as a valuable addition do try to hide it away if using more than a few pieces in the one place.

:classic: :classic: