Final Exit

REVIEW: 7052 UFO Abduction

Name: 7052 UFO Abduction

Theme: Alien Conquest

Year: 2011

Pieces: 211

Minifigures: 3

Price: £25.99

When I picked up my first Alien Conquest set I was torn as to whether I should also get this set, in the end I didn't bother and just got the HQ, luckily for me fate conspired to bring me back to toys are us :laugh: here is the review. (light was against me, so the photos aren't as well lit as the last ones)

Description

UFO Abduction

The Alien Defence Unit soldier is preparing the city defences. But wait! An alien UFO is trying to abduct the farmer with its tractor beam and grabbing abduction function! Launch the flick missile before it’s too late and send the galactic human snatcher spinning home!

Review

Box front and back

5688331506_45afab46d3_z.jpg

5687766661_bafcc5623c_z.jpg

Minifigures

The set comes with three minifigures, exactly the same moustached double sided head ADU trooper from the Earth Defence HQ set, a different alien and a really cool single sided head farmer.

5687784327_223bbe0d2d_b.jpg

5688355484_25d54446d6_b.jpg

5688351282_aaf94f7a6c_z.jpg

5688345302_aa454ed074_z.jpg

5687778179_91c46ff227_z.jpg

5687779993_474bd9df82_z.jpg

Building

its just a single instruction booklet with this set, nothing too difficult and its built pretty quickly without and fiddly bits at all, rather odd placement of three green "Plate 1X2 W. 1 Knob" (as Lego describe them) in the cockpit could indicate something else was to be included in the set but was removed maybe?, nothing is shown on them on the box or in the instructions so it will remain a mystery :look:

The light is activated by pressing the green ball forward at the back of the cockpit as you can see in the pics.

5687793645_39de44a457_z.jpg

5687797577_f0ba05f024_z.jpg

5687801301_b0df2cd395_z.jpg

5687805665_0583057d5a_z.jpg

Underside of the UFO showing the rubber claw pieces, the light grey ends are rubber going to regular plastic as it goes dark grey.

5687811847_d386d647db_z.jpg

5688383802_ba38274f2e_z.jpg

"abduction effect" is more impressive in the dark :thumbup:

5687807513_1d45294df3_z.jpg

5688378516_48b983322e_z.jpg

Ratings:

Minifigs: 9/10

Minifigs are great, the farmer is the pick for me, he looks fantastic. the alien is good too, with different printing and a different head to the ones in the HQ set. the ADU trooper though is a direct copy of the HQ trooper, must have requested a transfer :laugh:

Parts: 8/10

Not a great pile of parts but some nice pieces all the same, including a light brick giving the "abduction effect" a really nice clear dome on the saucer and some nice rubbery fangs on the under side of the saucer, for picking up unsuspecting abductees.

Design: 8/10

Its a classic saucer in the style of the 1950s B movies, the grille on the front is a little confusing though :sceptic: its a little too high in the sides for my liking but if it wasn't there'd be no room for the abductees, so its the price you pay, there is a nice "Area 51" sign on the front of the saucers stickers.

Playability: 7/10

The playability is pretty good, although its not very swooshable but the "abduction effect" is pretty cool so it makes up for that.

Price: 7/10

If the HQ seemed steep this one is a little steeper regards size Vs price, but it does have a light up brick (technological costs?) or maybe theres a worldwide plastic shortage going on :laugh:

Overall: 39/50

Nice but no classic.

Hi Res pics are here

Edited by Final Exit
Title

Thanks for another swell review Final Exit! :thumbup:

The B movie vibes of this set are hard to resist. I like the overall design of the saucer, although I think the cockpit could have used some more attention. Awesome minifigs, and the abduction effect is WAY cooler than I thought it could be. Overall I agree with your assessment; worth picking up, but not perfect.

I plan on getting it. :grin:

I'm quite disappointed the farmer's face isn't double-sided. Though maybe Lego didn't want to make him look happy while getting probed. This set looks like a must-buy for me. I like the farmer's torso and the soldier's face.

Steve

Great review. This set doesn't really seem to live up to my expectations, but the abduction feature is still pretty clever :thumbup:

Great review! The set is overall ok for me, but I want those small dark grey quarter circle pieces for micro-scale MOCs.

I'm waiting for this set :P

Cartman-Anal-Probe.jpg

Looks like a pretty good set in all, i think i'm gonna get me the whole series of AQ and that wil be a first :laugh:

I think the farmer's face is the Viking from series 4 of the Collectable Minifigures, which is why it's not double-sided.

Nice review Final Exit!

I think the farmer's face is the Viking from series 4 of the Collectable Minifigures, which is why it's not double-sided.

No, it's a different head they were just being cheap.

Thanks for another review 'Final Exit' and I must say I'm slowing changing my mind on this theme even though Lego are using classic sci-fi stereotypes....i.e. the farmer ! :laugh:

What sells this is the light up abduction system.....if kids don't wan't this eh ? :devil: Finally we can get rid of Jar Jar.....no wait they tossed him back ! :laugh:

The only downside I can see with this set is like the antennas - with kids the antennas are going to pop off all the time. :wink:

I can't wait to read the next review. :sweet:

Nice review! I am really actually planning on getting this.

The ship is great with the cabin/cockpit and the light is

extremely well hidden! I also really love the farmer minifig. :classic:

Edited by Fuzzylegobricks

Wow, that abduction function is great. The light looks way better than I thought it would.

I wanted this set to begin with(initially the only one I wanted), but the abduction feature and light put it over th top for me. I'm pretty well sold on this line thanks to all the reviews. I guess I don't really need the imperial Flagship do I? LOL!

The saucer is nice, definitely looks better than the so-called mothership in my opinion. The abduction effect is great, especially in the dark. (It would have been SO MUCH BETTER if the saucer had a few glow-in-the-dark pieces, though...) And the minifigs are three of the coolest ones in this theme. But I think for this price you should get a little more than what we have here. I would have loved to see a small tractor for the farmer, or at the very least a motorcycle for the ADU guy.

It's a nice set, and the price isn't terrible, but there are so many other good sets calling my name at the moment that this just won't be a high priority.

Another well done Alien Conquest review Final Exit, thanks for sharing! :thumbup: This is a pretty good set IMO, it captures the classic alien abduction scene very well, with all the necessary elements present - UFO, alien, farmer victim, and the ADU hero. Great job BTW on the final shot with the effective red lighting!

I knew I was getting this set from the moment I saw the first images of this line. I got it as soon as it showed up at my LEGO store, and I absolutely loved it. The only thing that would have made this line absolutely outstanding would have been if the pieces were printed instead of stickered, but it also probably would have jacked up the prices, so I guess we have to make a compromise somewhere. It was hard for me to put the set down and not spend my night going around my house, abducting all of my minifigs (Series 4 biohazard was particularly fun, though).

I did get an extra antenna with my set, which was nice. They can be fragile pieces, but consequently, I got the Alien Avenger (6975) when I was a kid, which has the same antenna pieces, and I was so particularly fond of that set that I managed to hold onto those pieces (surviving multiple moves and my Dark Ages) and still have them completely intact. Would they survive at the bottom of a bin of LEGO pieces? Probably not, but they are a cool enough piece (at least to me) that they would be worth safe-guarding.

Nice. The green ball is a little distracting, but overall the design is pretty good.

And yay, farmer minifig. :tongue:

Thanks for this review, Final Exit!

I really love every set in the Alien Conquest line. This is a great mid-sized ship and complements the rest of the line nicely. While I'm glad that sticker usage was kept to a minimum with this set, I can't help but feel that the big gray saucer pieces look rather barren. While I would certainly never promote the use of stickers, I can't help but wish something was done to spruce up the look of those saucer parts (printing, I miss thee). I'd originally hoped that the abduction feature would be something mechanically complex, the solution that was put in place is satisfying enough.

I know I sound nitpicky here, but I still think this is a really great set. Its sheer awesomeness far outweighs any cons I can come up with.

Great review Final Exit. All the Alien Conquest sets look interesting, and the unmistakable B-grade movie feel to this theme is definitely appealing to me. The light effect looks sweet, I can't wait to check it out for real. And congratulations to Lego for resisting the urge to add a cow to this line-up...

Great review Final Exit. All the Alien Conquest sets look interesting, and the unmistakable B-grade movie feel to this theme is definitely appealing to me. The light effect looks sweet, I can't wait to check it out for real. And congratulations to Lego for resisting the urge to add a cow to this line-up...

:laugh: Love the idea of adding a cow, I need to get one :sweet:

This is the best new theme sine Lego introduced Star Wars, I've not bought so much of a single theme since I was young enough to play with Lego without getting raised eyebrows, I bought 7049 and 7051 this afternoon, I love these :sweet:

I really love the B-movie feel they decided to go with here. Kind of reminds me of that cheesy 90's movie Mars Attacks. Really love the abduction light thing, I kind of miss that kind of thing with UFO's.

No, it's a different head they were just being cheap.

Actually it isn't possible to make the farmer's head double sided. A second face would require another set of sideburns running down the sides and the hairpiece wouldn't cover that up. With two faces, the farmer would have two really strange patches of hair poking out on the back of his head.

The play features are really cool though I wish there was more consistency with the rubber claw parts. It drives me crazy that all of them don't look the same.