whung

10231 Shuttle Expedition

Photo of 10231 is found in lego.com cache.

10231-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

Although the image is exactly the same as 10213.

10213-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

However, a new box photo of 10231 is found

10231.jpg

there is slightly different from the box of 10213 in the suitable age as well as the background.

10213-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

Why this set has to be re-released?

Edited by WhiteFang
Update of title

It could just be me, but it looks like the new box says 1230 pieces as opposed to 1204 pieces?

Edited by Mr Hobbles

I think it is possible re-release. My source confirms that 10231 is going to be shuttle (yet he did not know what kind of shuttle).

Edited by BudhaBoss

I think it is possible re-release. My source confirms that 10231 is going to be shuttle (yet he did not know what kind of shuttle).

Where do you get all your information!? What is your source? :wink:

I also read your modular pet shop comments and you know many things...

Where do you get all your information!? What is your source? :wink:

I also read your modular pet shop comments and you know many things...

If I want to keep the info coming, I can't reveal the source.

Interesting find. I suppose, after reading the other topics about an issue with this set, it makes sense. A few pieces and new instructions... I now really want this set for some reason :classic:

Not sure this qualifies as a re-release as the set number is the same and there has never been a break in availability. Early sets had a stability issue, but the newer sets have been modified accordingly which accounts for the different part count.

Some of my sources told me months ago that Shuttle Adventure was going to be a general release i.e. independents and I guess Myer.

Some of my sources told me months ago that Shuttle Adventure was going to be a general release i.e. independents and I guess Myer.

Australia is a special case since we have no LEGO stores. Making world wide generalizations based on what happens here is not far from misinformation.

A larger box image of 10231 is found in amazon.co.jp.

Here is a comparison of 10231 and 10213. The structure of the shuttles have a bit different.

10213vs10231.jpg

Well that explains the slightly higher brick count on the box eh ? :wink:

I wonder what difference there is in price ? :wink:

The age is also lowered to 14+. I guess it can take more of a handling. :classic:

There is also a 'fix' available for the fuel tank, apparently to make it sturdier. This could explain the higher piece count. But there is nothing in there about changes to the shuttle and the booster rockets. :sceptic:

edit: I should read the full thread before I post. :blush:

Seems that 10231 will be renamed "Space Expedition", the guy & girl astronaut will get hair pieces as well, and it will be released on July 1!

I can't wait for the re-release, because I was just going to pick up the current 10213 too!

Although, I don't like how the landing gears are now visible on the wings.

5748764945_20b6e712b7_o.jpg

Edited by dingmh

Added HR images of the new shuttle 10231 Expedition to my BS gallery!

b_10231_box_side.jpg

"Dear Ambassadors,

Since its release in 2010, 10213 Shuttle Adventure has proven to be very popular!

Although the model was designed for a 16+ target audience, our consumer call center

has brought to our intention that many younger children have been building and playing with the model.

As a result, the Direct team has decided to look at the model once more to see what changes could be made

in order to provide a better build and play experience for a slightly younger target audience.

10231 Shuttle Expedition may look similar to Shuttle Adventure in many ways, however its build is very different and offers several advantages.

- The fuel tank has been reinforced with supports to strengthen the assembly

- The landing gear is strengthened to function better across many different floor types

- The Cargo doors can now be more rigorously opened and closed

- The entire build has been reworked to limit opportunities for misplacing elements

- Astronauts now have wigs in addition to their helmets (1 male, 1 female). Face prints are also different.

- The new set now has 1,230 elements

- New Satellite can be securely positioned on the new mechanical arm

10231 Shuttle Expedition has already gone on sale in LEGOLAND Billund and will soon be available across all LEGO brand retail stores and on LEGO.com.

Kind regards

LEGO Direct Team"

Enjoy! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Edited by grogall

Thanks.

I am not sure I like the look of the attachment for the SRBs on the new version.

Looks like the doors have been redesigned too.

Very interesting! I see that the rear wheels are now attached using this fairly new part, which probably explains why the cover tiles had to be removed. It kind of bothers me, but I don't mind too much because those tiles really didn't cover the wheels up very well and in fact just made that area thicker.

I kind of wish the astronauts had the Collectible Minifigure-styled helmets like are included in the City Space sets, for consistency's sake. Glad they still have the gold visors, though, and the addition of hair is a plus.

The payload bay doors now use a simpler and more logical SNOT construction rather than the blocky design they had before. This allows the interior to be both more spacious and more attractive. The Canadian arm is also simplified greatly, which was not necessary and is not entirely attractive, but is still a decision I respect.

The cockpit is also slightly changed. The newer version has a dark grey keyboard, which I like, and fewer gauges and controls, which I don't like so much. After all, we all know what a real space shuttle's cockpit is like. And the fewer controls make the "dashboard" seem gappier. On the plus side, the exterior is less gappy due to the very changes in structure that forced TLG to remove some of the controls.

Overall, I am impressed with the new version, and since my family didn't get the old version anyway we might end up getting this. I wonder if it will be a part of the NASA/LEGO partnership.

A change in box art doesn't really qualify as rerelease.

More than box art. New age limit, new item number, new piece count.

More than box art. New age limit, new item number, new piece count.

Ummm... you're replying to a comment before we knew any of that (besides the new age limit). I'm pretty sure that if the original poster cared then they already have seen these things for themselves by now. And if not, your post doesn't help bring it to their attention any more than any other posts in this topic that point out the exact same thing.