Jump to content


Bionicle Text Adventure: Jolly Rogers


  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:29 AM

(This is a trial run for a game I will probably post on BZP, where this sort of thing would be more popular. However, because the board is down and also because I want to try it out on a smaller scale, here is a limited run of a choose-your-own-adventure style comic I'm planning)

Note: due to the nature of this game there are a number of images (640x480 pixels, no more than 500 kb each and in GIF format). Slow connections beware!

Posted Image

> Wake up.

Posted Image

You wake up with a massive headache. You wonder for a moment if you hit the rum too hard last night when you realize you don't remember a thing! Not only the events of the previous night escape you, but so does everything else. Perhaps something hit you on the head and knocked you out. That still doesn't explain why you're sitting on some strange beach. Stranded on a desert island, apparently.

What was your name again?


If you've done this sort of thing before, you know the drill. If not, here's a quick run-down: you post the next action, and I pick (usually the first post, but occasionally others I see more fitting) and make the next panel for that action.

Log:
> Wake up.
> Put on the pirate hat that is on the ground.
> Punch map in the snout to establish cartography.
> Pick up the map and open it.
> Can't open the coconut.
> Explore the island to find something to open it with.
> Look across the sea to see if there's more land nearby.
> Punch a hole in the boat.
> Climb onto the boat.
> Ask first mate what your name is.
> Wear the hat. Be the captain.
> Let's try this again.
Gumball > Go get him some rum
Gumball > Bring him Cola, the captain doesn't need to get drunk.
Crackerjack > Take a generous swig of cola, become hyper.

Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 21 August 2011 - 10:21 PM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#2 Brickthing

Brickthing

  • Mr. Perfect


    Posts: 3055
    Joined: 26-October 08
    Member: 4229
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:31 PM

This seems like an interesting project, one which I think I'll follow along on. I like your art style, although it would be good if you could smooth out the jagged edges.

> Put on the pirate hat that is on the ground

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines --------------- Index of helpful tutorials


#3 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:23 PM

> Put on the pirate hat that is on the ground.

Posted Image

You decide you'll delay trying to remember your name. After all, maybe looking through your old things will help jog your memory. You lift your hat to equip it, but discover two items beneath the hat: a pirate map and a compass.

Too bad there was no rum there! If you remember anything it's that you're a pirate, and pirates do love their rum.


(Unfortunately I lost my drawing tablet stylus, so soft edges are a pain to do with the mouse. So sharp edges it is for now, but pressure sensitivity is hard to simulate :\. But thanks for starting the game up!)

Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 28 April 2011 - 07:25 PM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#4 r4-g9

r4-g9

    Posts: 250
    Joined: 08-June 10
    Member: 11300
    Country: ab canada

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

i'll help out with this too.

pick up the map and open it

Edited by r4-g9, 28 April 2011 - 07:54 PM.


#5 Bfahome

Bfahome

  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency


    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 22-August 08
    Member: 3802
    Country: USA

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:24 PM

> Punch map in the snout to establish cartography.

#6 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

> Punch map in the snout to establish cartography.

Posted Image

You're filled with a sense of empowerment. Nobody tells you what to do! You show that map who's boss by pummeling it with a flurry of pirate punches.

Then you realize what a complete waste of time this silliness is.

> Pick up the map and open it.

Posted Image

Memories explode into your head like cannonfire. This isn't a map. It's a hit list! And these are the Enigmatic Eight -- the eight men and women who you must kill. Revenge burns in your mind.

You then realize you're rather thirsty, there's a lump on your head, and while you've made some progress you still can't remember your name.


((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#7 r4-g9

r4-g9

    Posts: 250
    Joined: 08-June 10
    Member: 11300
    Country: ab canada

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:24 PM

> pick up the compass and find out witch way is north
> thristy and trys to open the coconut
> can't open the coconut and goes to explore the island to find something to open it with

#8 Brickthing

Brickthing

  • Mr. Perfect


    Posts: 3055
    Joined: 26-October 08
    Member: 4229
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

> Check the inside of your mask for a name inscription.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines --------------- Index of helpful tutorials


#9 Bfahome

Bfahome

  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency


    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 22-August 08
    Member: 3802
    Country: USA

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:12 PM

(that is so awesome)

> Check "If found please return to…" tag on the inside of the hat for name.

#10 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:26 AM

> Can't open the coconut.

Posted Image

You figure that, important as it is to you and your well-being, everything else can wait until you have a drink. After all, quenching your epic pirate thirst is far more important than remembering a silly name.

However, alluring as the sweet coconut milk is, there seem to be no utensils to break it open with. Even your cutlass seems to be missing. You add the coconut to your inventory. There's a whole island to explore!

> Explore the island to find something to open it with.

Posted Image

You wonder why you hadn't noticed how small the island was earlier.


((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#11 Bundalings

Bundalings

    Posts: 1028
    Joined: 19-August 08
    Member: 3754
    Country: USA

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:22 AM

> Look across the sea to see if there's more land close by.
Eeyup.

Posted Image


#12 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:21 AM

> Look across the sea to see if there's more land close by.

Posted Image

That's not really necessary when your boat's on the shore like this.

You wonder why you didn't notice the boat here before.

This ship is your pride and joy. You and your crew have sailed on her across endless seas through all your voyages, happy and sad, dark and light. What was her name again...?


Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 29 April 2011 - 06:25 AM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#13 Brickthing

Brickthing

  • Mr. Perfect


    Posts: 3055
    Joined: 26-October 08
    Member: 4229
    Country: New Zealand

Posted 29 April 2011 - 06:47 AM

>Use your Pakari to rip up the tree and place it as a ramp to get onto the boat.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines --------------- Index of helpful tutorials


#14 r4-g9

r4-g9

    Posts: 250
    Joined: 08-June 10
    Member: 11300
    Country: ab canada

Posted 29 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

>ask if one of your crew members to take you aboard
>if that doesn't work climb to the top of the tree to try to see what is in the ship and why your crew members aren't answering you

#15 CabooseBM

CabooseBM

    Posts: 358
    Joined: 21-September 09
    Member: 7521

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:58 AM

>Punch a hole in the boat.

#16 Jetrax99

Jetrax99

    Posts: 739
    Joined: 09-January 08
    Member: 2447
    Country: United States

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:09 AM

>go aboard and repaint your armor in a color that says "a Pirate I be"

Edited by Jetrax99, 30 April 2011 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image

#17 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

> Punch a hole in the boat.

Posted Image

While you wish you wore a mask of strength to build some sort of ramp to climb aboard with, you have no such luck. Dramatic irony, which is very within your powers of comprehension, tells us that while you do wear a mask of strength, you don't yet know that. Instead, you summon all your power and release a powerful seaman's slug, not even hesitating to chuckle at the word "seaman."

-12 Hit Points

You wonder why you like punching things so much today.

-->

Posted Image

From above, your first mate Candycorn is calling. Not the brightest Matoran around, and he gets the job done. And besides, if you ever need to resort to cannibalism...

Your train of thought stops dead there. The good old boy is giving you a ladder!


Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 30 April 2011 - 11:42 PM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#18 r4-g9

r4-g9

    Posts: 250
    Joined: 08-June 10
    Member: 11300
    Country: ab canada

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:38 AM

>climb onto the boat
>ask first mate what your name is

#19 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

> Climb onto the boat.

Posted Image

You climb aboard the ship and give Candycorn a friendly pat on the head. With your good crew by your side you'll never fail!

Then you get an idea, one that you believe will make you remember everything.

> Ask first mate what your name is.

You ask the first mate what your name is. He seems to understand your predicament and refreshes your memory.

Posted Image

Your name is Cap'n Crackerjack, plunderer of the high seas and swashbuckler extraordinaire. Nobody tops you at piracy. No Skakdi can best you, nor can any of the Enigmatic Eight.

...the Enigmatic Eight. Those wretches! An alliance of abnormal alliteration-absorbed assassins, they will do anything they can to satisfy the whims of their master.

But in order to defeat the master, unlock the ultimate treasure, get revenge, and save your lover, you must first best the Eight.

Commander Cantankerous was taken down no more than a month ago with some help from a... mysterious stranger. Seven remain, plus the master of the eight.

What will you do now?


Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 04 May 2011 - 02:11 AM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#20 Bfahome

Bfahome

  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency


    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 22-August 08
    Member: 3802
    Country: USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:16 AM

>Wear the hat.  Be the captain.

#21 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:35 AM

> Wear the hat. Be the captain

Posted Image

In an outburst of sudden copy/paste five second modifications, you begin to wonder if all of bfahome's suggestions are from some other ethereal plane of knowledge.

And by other plane of ethereal knowledge you mean MS Paint Adventures.

Yet the hat... it beckons.


Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 04 May 2011 - 02:40 AM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#22 Bfahome

Bfahome

  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency


    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 22-August 08
    Member: 3802
    Country: USA

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Posted Image

>Check if Sweet Evo and Hella Nex has a sweet update.

>No really, be the captain.

#23 Cap'n Kopaka

Cap'n Kopaka

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 23-August 08
    Member: 3811
    Country: United States

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:32 AM

> Let's try this again.

Posted Image

You can do little to resist the temptation of the hat.

Victory.

You can feel it pulsing in the hot air of these forsaken islands, smell it in every palm tree and falling coconut on this damned planet. Fate has been cruel to you. Far too cruel. The time to reap your rewards in life has come. No more pain. No more suffering.

You once knew what love was. That was a long time ago. Long before she disappeared, long before they took her from you. Back then you were soft. You were but a Matoran. You knew nothing. But then that stranger taught you everything you know.

You stood before that brute of a Steltian, crude in appearance and cruder in language, with fire in your veins. Vengeance would be sweet. But a scar was dealt upon you, a scar that will never be erased. As he crushed you beneath his foot, he left you with the knowledge that you couldn't do this alone, but without her, you were always alone. A first mate and navigator is one thing. A doctor and some loony from the islands is another thing. But you'll never feel fulfilled until she's by your side again.

The stranger seemed to appear from nowhere. He is everything you want to become. Everything you need to become. He gave you your powers, your magical compass. One day you hope to see him again, alive and filled with his mysterious and wise words. Until then, you know that you must become a true warrior. A true fighter. You must defeat the eight. You must destroy their master.

You must have vengeance.

You are strong.

You are a captain.

You are a pirate.

Posted Image

All hands on deck.

Stop sitting around, crew!

Corn, start traveling into the sunset! We must land before nightfall!

Man the cannons! Ready yourselves for a fight!

Gumball, for god's sake, get me some rum!


Edited by Cap'n Kopaka, 04 May 2011 - 04:00 AM.

((Jolly Rogers and the Enigmatic 8))

((Blog | Twitter | Tumblr))


((no matter how dark this city gets))

((there will be light))


#24 Bfahome

Bfahome

  • Finding extras at 110% efficiency


    Posts: 1584
    Joined: 22-August 08
    Member: 3802
    Country: USA

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:50 AM

>Gumball: Get him some rum.

#25 r4-g9

r4-g9

    Posts: 250
    Joined: 08-June 10
    Member: 11300
    Country: ab canada

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

>ask who the stranger is
>decide which one of the 8 you want to get and go get him




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users