Dash Rendar's Outrider (MINI YT-2400 Transport)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Legostein

Legostein

• I'm a million!

Member: 1505

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:37 PM

Posted Image
Hello everybody!

This week, I'd like to show another famous freighter to you. :classic: We've rcently seen Han Solo's Millennium Falcon, and now it's time for Dash Rendar's Outrider, a YT-2400 transport (reference link). The ship first appears in "Shadows of the Empire", an exciting novel taking place between "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", but was later included in the Special Edition of "A New Hope". It there can be seen taking off from Mos Eisley Spaceport on Tattooine. :classic:

The YT-2400 is an asymmetric design with unique shape. To realise the two laser turrets (as for the Millennium Falcon), a stud inversion was neccesary. This was realised by using hooks which are one plate high. The ball at the end of the hook disappears nicely into the stud notches. As a nice side feature, they add a greebly effect. :classic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

>>> Click here for all images and building instructions.

With that I am done for today. :classic:

Thanks for stepping by, and have a great week!

Yours Christopher

Edited by KielDaMan, 09 June 2011 - 06:54 AM.
Indexed

Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

Another AWESOME micro creation from you 'Legostein', the master of the micro SW's ! :grin:
May the brick be with you ! :grin:

#3 Captain Bayonet

Captain Bayonet

Member: 10460

Absolutely beautiful. You have done it again Legostein! Definitely keep up the good mini work. Great likeness to the real thing!

Keep on Brickin'

~ Bayonet
Lover of Cheese

#4 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Very nice work, Legostein! The hooks are nicely integrated, and this looks like it'd fit right in with your MF.

#5 The Legonater

The Legonater

• Can NOT Ctrl + Alt + Delete the Past

Member: 8515

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:09 AM

Nice work with the hooks! Great job, yet again.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Heir - - - - - - - -  Exile - - - - - - - Hunter - - - - - - Assassin - - - - - - Hero

to a Prefect  - - of Duplovia - - of the Dark Lady - - of the Light - -  of Heroica

Dyric Rone

Level 32 1/4 Assassin

#6 Fuzzylegobricks

Fuzzylegobricks

Member: 13204

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:24 AM

This works perfectly for a Mini starwars world (hint hint). This is very interesting, for some reason I actually never have seen this one before. :sweet:
Won as Bianca Lamb in Hinckley's Mafia School Fabuland Housewives!

#7 Zeya

Zeya

• Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:47 AM

Haha, I read the book and played the video game when I was a kid. The title for both was "Shadows of the Empire" and the game was one of the first 3 or 4 games for the N64. Please don't take offense to this, but in hindsight, the Dash Rendar character and his ship are basically just clones of Han Solo. It was as if it was too much trouble to talk Lucasfilm into allowing the use of Han Solo, so instead they just made up a new character so they could do what they wanted.

It's times like these when I remind myself why I don't collect SW lego. I was enough of a SW geek back then that if I started collecting, it would just ruin my pocketbook. *sigh*

That's a really nice little MOC. I like the use of the binoculars and the array with the technic pin is surprisingly articulated and varied. Where does that printed tile come from? Another SW set?

#8 StoutFiles

StoutFiles

Member: 13725

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:53 AM

View PostZeya, on 26 April 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

Haha, I read the book and played the video game when I was a kid. The title for both was "Shadows of the Empire" and the game was one of the first 3 or 4 games for the N64. Please don't take offense to this, but in hindsight, the Dash Rendar character and his ship are basically just clones of Han Solo. It was as if it was too much trouble to talk Lucasfilm into allowing the use of Han Solo, so instead they just made up a new character so they could do what they wanted.

It's times like these when I remind myself why I don't collect SW lego. I was enough of a SW geek back then that if I started collecting, it would just ruin my pocketbook. *sigh*

There's always something else to ruin your pocketbook on.  Yeah, I sort of agree that Dash is basically a Han clone, but the overall story was very good.  So good, in fact, that Lucas snuck the Outrider into the Special Edition of A New Hope.  It's an awesome ship, even if it's similar to the Falcon.

#9 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:00 AM

View PostZeya, on 26 April 2011 - 12:47 AM, said:

Please don't take offense to this, but in hindsight, the Dash Rendar character and his ship are basically just clones of Han Solo. It was as if it was too much trouble to talk Lucasfilm into allowing the use of Han Solo, so instead they just made up a new character so they could do what they wanted.
I agree that Dash was another Han, but I doubt he was invented so they didn't have to ask Lucasfilm to use Han. Shadows was a multimedia campaign similar to Republic Commando's, created by Lucasfilm, and Han does appear in the series. I think the only reason Han wasn't used was that Han was at the time frozen in carbonite.

#10 Zeya

Zeya

• Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:18 AM

Fair enough on the Han Solo clone issue. I did enjoy the character and ship also. I had no idea that it made an appearance in the special edition movies. I liked the wise-cracking droid too; he had the vocal skills of C-3PO and the sense of humor of R2D2.

#11 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 26 April 2011 - 02:20 AM

Another excellent mini-ship Christopher! Those hook greebling details are indeed very unique and cleverly-conceived. Nice to see too the trans-blue engine exhaust. Great job as always! :thumbup:

#12 Mr Man

Mr Man

Member: 13561

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

Legostein another great job. Is this exactly to scale with the MF? You've used the same cockpit so the rest should fall into line with that. A very cleaver use of the hook piece.
Great job. :thumbup:  :thumbup:.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 The Caped Crusader

The Caped Crusader

Member: 14010

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

As everybody said , the use of the hooks is awesome , and the whole ship is really nice !

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him...because he can take it
...because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...the Dark Knight" - James "Jim" Gordon
Posted Image

The Batpod by caped_crusader, on Flickr

#14 Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed

• I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Member: 11296

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

Coincidentally I've just been admiring your work on Brickshelf and have just caught up on your Falcon, which I had missed. This is yet another great mini Legostein and  :thumbup: :thumbup: to hooks! I would never have thought the ball would allow them to fit like that.
Posted Image
Always on Brickshelf but finally flickr'd!  My CMS trade list  My minifig trades on swapfig.com

#15 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:37 PM

View PostMr Man, on 26 April 2011 - 10:11 AM, said:

Is this exactly to scale with the MF? You've used the same cockpit so the rest should fall into line with that.
Read the subtitle. :wink:

#16 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:49 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 26 April 2011 - 05:37 PM, said:

Read the subtitle. :wink:
Subtitle what subtitle :blush:, oops I'm not reading very well at the moment :laugh:.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'

#17 Dadzilla

Dadzilla

Member: 16839

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:00 AM

Once again, great mini.  :classic:

#18 Mr. Elijah Timms

Mr. Elijah Timms

Member: 9973

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

Awesome rendition in minifig scale... I applaud your efforts!  However, it's still not enough to sway my opinion of the Outrider:  That's got to be the ugliest ship ever considered to be part of Star Wars canon.

EVERYTHING IS OVERPRICED I MEAN AWESOME!!!

#19 Mr Man

Mr Man

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:16 PM

View PostMr. Elijah Timms, on 27 April 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

That's got to be the ugliest ship ever considered to be part of Star Wars canon.
Try this ship  :sick:.

:laugh:

#20 Legostein

Legostein

• I'm a million!

Member: 1505

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hello everybody!

I'd like to thank you all for the nice comments in this topic. :classic:

I won't start arguing about the ugliness or prettiness of a starship. :wink: All ships, whether pretty or not, deserve an attempt to be minimized. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users