BrickWild

Cleaning 9v train tracks...

A Flickr user, called Caleb Randolph disovered a simple, ingenuious solution for cleaning 9v train tracks:

Using toothpaste!

5582832259_8eeea60a8b_z.jpg

Cleaning 9v LEGO Track

Not only does it clean and polish the rails to "NEW" condition but it also leaves track smelling clean and fresh!

Anyone tried this yet?

wow, never thought about that. but does it really work? did you try it? it should work with 12v too then.

have a nice lego train day

mrBlue

I use toothpaste on dirty bricks and a bit hard work but it works well. Now tarnish on metal tracks, some baking powder can act as a metal polish as well. :classic:

Keep on polishing ! :grin:

Interesting- however I wouldn't bother using an expensive 'branded' toothpaste for cleaning Lego. The active ingredient is the silica granules which act as a fine abrasive, whilst the 'paste' consistency helps bind the debris (and said granules). Even for teeth cleaning, branded toothpastes are a waste of money- as it is the brushing which is the most important part. Hence I use the very cheapest 'value own brand' toothpaste costing a fraction of the price of the branded stuff. My dentist always compliments me on how clean I keep my teeth. So I'd be inclined to use similar for cleaning Lego (along with the cheapest toothbrushes- now those I wouldn't dream of using in my mouth!).

Edited by Legoless

For cleaning bricks, I have been using the germ-x hand soap with a toothbrush. It takes off just about anything. Once I clean them, I wash them with some dish soap to make sure that the germ-x does not have a long lasting effect on the bricks.

I found that toothpaste scratches the bricks a little sometimes.

i'd be using the finest 'gariflex' block, it is just a large version of the track rubbers used on conventional model railways for track cleaning.

You can use methylated spirits too! They're a good metal cleaner!

Is that the solution they sell at hobby stores for model scale train care?

Is that the solution they sell at hobby stores for model scale train care?

Indeed! One day I'll build a Railgrinder that doesn't actually 'grind' the rails but buffs them with the metal cleaning solution! :laugh:

Indeed! One day I'll build a Railgrinder that doesn't actually 'grind' the rails but buffs them with the metal cleaning solution! :laugh:

I always wondered what that stuff was called, just haven't been inside a hobby store in a few years :wacko: Bout' time to go! Building a rail grinder, buffer though? I have had success with my dremel. Lower speed, with a variety of buffing pads :classic: Good luck though, care to post it?

I always wondered what that stuff was called, just haven't been inside a hobby store in a few years :wacko: Bout' time to go! Building a rail grinder, buffer though? I have had success with my dremel. Lower speed, with a variety of buffing pads :classic: Good luck though, care to post it?

I was thinking of trying some mothers Mag and Aluminum polish.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101_b.html

Has anyone tried it before?

I would look into this before applying it. This being a a car care product probably has a protective coating that it leaves on the metal. Most likely to help keep brake dust, etc, from sticking to the wheel. How this will affect the current from 9v track to motor, I do not know. It should not make a difference IMO. There may be something else to applying a polish... This may not hold any water but, thinking back to waxing a car (or applying rim polish). After the product is cleaned off, the metal is very slick. As in, running your hand across feeling very little friction. That could give you trouble with traction at low speeds or long/heavy trains. Something to ponder. Just some things off the top of my head :classic:

I'd say! I have never actually owned any 9-volt trains in my lifetime, because I didn't get interested until the RC trains. But, does it work on O, HO, and N scale tracks?

I've used this... for aluminum wheels though.

Like was said before, this would not work for the tracks because it does leave a coating of protectant on the surface.

It is supposed to polish and coat the wheel for outdoor protection and resist brake dust.

definitely something I would NOT try on LEGO track.