Concerning Fabuland Figures

9 replies to this topic

#1 Donut

Donut

• Ninja Poodle

Member: 2505

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:30 AM

Earlier this week I received some Fabuland figures from a friend of mine and together with the two that I had since childhood, my small collection is up to five :sweet:. I hope to expand my collection in the near future, but for the time being I want to take good care of the ones I have.

As of now, two of the figs have worn out printings.

Posted Image

You can slightly tell from this low quality picture that both the elephant's eye and raccon's nose are a little worn out. What is the best method to restore the printings? Would a fine tip Sharpie pen be sufficient for this job?

Also are Fabuland figures detachable like a standard minifgure? I tried removing the head of the racoon but it didn't seem to budge. I am afraid that I damaged the integrity of the figure.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Donut, 22 April 2011 - 01:31 AM.

#2 badboytje88

badboytje88

• Bad Lick

Member: 1561

Posted 22 April 2011 - 05:59 AM

Only thing I would do is remove the decal on the racoons body as it is not official. I wouldn't touch the heads with a sharpy if I were your. I find it the charm of fabuland that most of the figs look a little bit used.

Posted Image

Playing Bjorn Borchard Representative from Owlville in Tamamono┬┤s Party Lines Mafia

#3 Rufus

Rufus

• Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!

Member: 6705

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostDonut, on 22 April 2011 - 01:30 AM, said:

Also are Fabuland figures detachable like a standard minifgure? I tried removing the head of the racoon but it didn't seem to budge. I am afraid that I damaged the integrity of the figure.
Read The Forest mafia for the answer to that!  It shows many innovative ways Fabuland figures can be abused.  :grin:

The head can be removed, but it requires quite a lot of force, and results in a disconcerting 'pop'.  The legs can be removed by pushing the little bar out.  I guess the joints will be weakened if this is done too often, but the legs of Fabu figures tend to get very weak over time anyway.

And, like badboy, I couldn't recommend using Sharpie.  Those figures are in reasonable condition; a little wear only adds to the charm!

#4 SlyOwl

SlyOwl

• Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

Also, the arms can be removed and swapped with minifig arms.
Head-wise, the head can always be removed, but, depending on the age of the figure, the grey neck bit (right in the middle there) sometimes comes out with the head or stays in the body. It can then be separated again, but you're going to need pliers for that... (or at least I did!) :laugh:
It's true the legs get floppy if you keep swapping them around, but Hinck posted somewhere about how to stiffen them up again - I can't find it right now, but it was something to do with painting the red bar with PVA glue or summat to widen the bar.

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#5 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:06 AM

View PostSlyOwl, on 22 April 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

It's true the legs get floppy if you keep swapping them around, but Hinck posted somewhere about how to stiffen them up again - I can't find it right now, but it was something to do with painting the red bar with PVA glue or summat to widen the bar.
The article is linked in the FBG index.

#6 Donut

Donut

• Ninja Poodle

Member: 2505

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the response everyone!

View Postbadboytje88, on 22 April 2011 - 05:59 AM, said:

I wouldn't touch the heads with a sharpy if I were your. I find it the charm of fabuland that most of the figs look a little bit used.

For the sake of preserving charm, I will take up your advice! However, I am going to leave the decale alone as someone took the time to decorate this figure. It would be good to preserve their memory.

View PostRufus, on 22 April 2011 - 08:44 AM, said:

Read The Forest mafia for the answer to that! It shows many innovative ways Fabuland figures can be abused. :grin:

The head can be removed, but it requires quite a lot of force, and results in a disconcerting 'pop'. The legs can be removed by pushing the little bar out. I guess the joints will be weakened if this is done too often, but the legs of Fabu figures tend to get very weak over time anyway.

Poor Helena hippo! At least her death was not in vain as I have learned that heads are detachable.

Also, the arms can be removed and swapped with minifig arms.
Head-wise, the head can always be removed, but, depending on the age of the figure, the grey neck bit (right in the middle there) sometimes comes out with the head or stays in the body. It can then be separated again, but you're going to need pliers for that... (or at least I did!) :laugh:

That's great to know! I think just to be safe, I will use tools to remove the head.

View PostRick, on 22 April 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

The article is linked in the FBG index.

Thanks for the reference and the link. Using the acrylic paint is brilliant. Does this method also apply to standard minifig joints?

#7 brickart

brickart

Member: 29869

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hello,

I just got 3 cool FABULAND figs from 1979, but the necks of the figs are a bitt TO moveable, they are not as tight as they use to be.
Is there a SAVE way to tighten up the necks of these vintage figs?

#8 Darkdragon

Darkdragon

• Destroyed Dreams of Super-Santa

Member: 14331

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

You can put a thin coat of clear fingernail polish on the neck ball (not in the socket) and the same with the leg bar.

However, it can be very difficult to get the legs off without damaging anything.

#9 Pandora

Pandora

• Hide the Zebras!

Member: 15845

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

View Postbrickart, on 24 July 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Hello,

I just got 3 cool FABULAND figs from 1979, but the necks of the figs are a bitt TO moveable, they are not as tight as they use to be.
Is there a SAVE way to tighten up the necks of these vintage figs?
The answers you seek are found in the Fabuland Builders Guild - Discussion thread.  

A good place to start a search when looking for answers to questions about FABULAND.  :wink:
Heroica RPG - Nyx Level 30.25 BattleMage

in girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

A link to all my Reviews and other stuff about me can be found on my "About Me" page, and pics are on flickr

#10 Rufus

Rufus

• Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!

Member: 6705

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

View PostPandora, on 24 July 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

The answers you seek are found in the Fabuland Builders Guild - Discussion thread.  
Thanks, Pandy.  :wub:

I'll merge this into 'Concerning Fabuland Figures'.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users