MOC: Viking and his big performance

13 replies to this topic

#1 Etzel

Etzel

• Me Want Ducky!!!!

Member: 2625

Posted 19 April 2011 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image
The Viking is obviously not a real viking. With that stupid horned helmet he must be part of some kind of Wagner opera along with other fantasy characters.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Flickr link

Edited by Rufus, 29 May 2011 - 10:10 AM.
Indexed

#2 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:46 AM

This is awesome.  I'll be honest I skipped over this topic earlier, and now I feel ashamed, because this is so much more than I was expecting.  I love the Opera style scene, I'm not an opera fan really but I can appreciate the area for the director to be able to yell at the actors.  Those hats work perfectly, and let me formally apologize for skipping this over, it's awesome! :thumbup:

#3 dr_spock

dr_spock

• Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes

Member: 8775

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:51 AM

Wonderful job on the opera theater stage.  :thumbup:

#4 Fuzzylegobricks

Fuzzylegobricks

Member: 13204

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

I agree this Moc is really quite awesome, the style and colors of the stage really remind me of theaters and acting. The face with the pinky cheeks is a good idea for this, I love the dragon wings idea too. One question..... What is that red thing at the foot of the stage with a person in it?
:classic:
Won as Bianca Lamb in Hinckley's Mafia School Fabuland Housewives!

#5 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:59 AM

The overall build of the stage is really very impressive, from the various details to the clever use of those triangular slopes for a realistic-looking side curtains. The whole stage is simply a great brickbuilt representation of real opera stages. Great job! :thumbup:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#6 Ro87n

Ro87n

Member: 15469

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:36 AM

Amazingly outstanding, realy a wonderful job. Just as Big Cam said, I'm not a fan of opera either. But I love this scene and by seing this I'm even expecting much more for the next fig you will do or already work on.
Posted Image

#7 MstrOfPppts

MstrOfPppts

• Lex Luthor, Bruce Wayne — what's the difference?

Member: 14752

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:55 AM

Very, very creative, I love the curtains. Great job and the whisperer made laugh!

Posted Image

#8 iElkie

iElkie

Member: 15324

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

That stage and those stage curtains are insanely impressive! Not at all what I expected to see when I saw the thread title, but wow!

#9 Etzel

Etzel

• Me Want Ducky!!!!

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:14 AM

Tbanks for the comments! I'm afraid my next S4 MOC will wait a bit, I got some real life stuff to take care of first :wink:

View PostFuzzylegobricks, on 20 April 2011 - 02:52 AM, said:

I agree this Moc is really quite awesome, the style and colors of the stage really remind me of theaters and acting. The face with the pinky cheeks is a good idea for this, I love the dragon wings idea too. One question..... What is that red thing at the foot of the stage with a person in it?
:classic:
It's the promter's box, he's whispering the beginning of the phrase to the singers.

#10 Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac

• Swings in the right weather conditions

Member: 13585

Posted 20 April 2011 - 01:35 PM

Such a beautiful build!
Well done, the lighting is very nice as well. Loved your write up too, great stuff Posted Image

May you be touched by his noodly appendage
Posted Image Posted Image
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials| Eurobricks FAQ

#11 CarrollFilms

CarrollFilms

Member: 11575

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

This is super cool, have you put any thought of maybe putting some PF's in it so the dragon moves? That would be pretty cool

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbup:

#12 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant

• Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 20 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

At first it looked a bit simple, but when I looked closer I saw it is actually quite clever.
Good job on the curtains and the whole structure around the stage. The helm with oversized horns are quite funny and so are the faces.
Well done :thumbup:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#13 Etzel

Etzel

• Me Want Ducky!!!!

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:03 PM

View PostCarrollFilms, on 20 April 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

This is super cool, have you put any thought of maybe putting some PF's in it so the dragon moves? That would be pretty cool

Keep up the great work!!! :thumbup:
Thanks!
I haven't. Mostly because I don't have any PF stuff  :wink: I did however think about adding strings and sticks to the dragon that would indicate that it was manually controlled by some off-stage crew, but it didn't turn out as I wanted so I skipped that.

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 20 April 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

At first it looked a bit simple, but when I looked closer I saw it is actually quite clever.
Good job on the curtains and the whole structure around the stage. The helm with oversized horns are quite funny and so are the faces.
Well done :thumbup:
No, it's actually quite simple. :tongue: The only hard part was the top of the "frame" where I had to come up with an unusual solution. Otherwise it's a fairly easy build and lots of short-cuts that can't be seen (the connection for the dragon wings are horrible  :blush: ).

But I'm happy you liked it and I hope everyone have learned a lesson (unless you already knew): Real Viking did not have horns on their helmets! That only happened on stage.  :wink:

#14 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 21 April 2011 - 02:12 AM

Yeah, horns on vikings are kind of ridiculous, if acceptable in a pop-culture context. What makes far less sense are the solid gold horns of the Series 4 Viking, which for me prevent willing suspension of disbelief (not to mention adding a completely unnecessary color to his color scheme). If they wanted to make him unique, they could have done something different, like perhaps giving him the cow horns. I imagine those would have looked just fine on him, if still dreadfully unrealistic.

Anyway, lovely vignette. The stage and props are amusingly simple, while the curtains and proscenium arch add a great deal of ornateness to the MOC. The actors themselves are hilarious, although again on the one furthest upstage the cow horns might be preferable to those vicious blades he currently sports. The face you chose for the actress furthest downstage is amusing, and that spear is very effective as a weapon (more effective than the sand yellow metallic Knights' Kingdom sword on the other guy, which seems a bit out of place). I like the dragon wings on that gold helmet, as well. And naturally, the collectible minifigure viking fits in perfectly in this.

Also, I can say with confidence that when I read the topic's title, I for one knew to expect something opera-related.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users