Sign in to follow this  
BrickArtist

[MOC] N-1 Naboo Starfighter

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Hello Ladies and Gentleman! Today I would like to present to you my rendition of the elegant, sleek, and majestic N-1 Starfighter. What a wonderful ship it is :wub: For some reason when I was comparing legos to the real deal I fell in love with the ship. It's so smooth, and angular. Alot of people, alike me, were very disappointed at the re-release of the 2007 N-1, with minor adaptations. I really wanted to make my own. I think TLG was at a dis-advantage when designing, because one of the critical appearances of the N-1 is its smooth shape. If you show a stud on the wings, you lose the elegance that the ship possesses. I used just about every yellow tile I owned in addition to some SNOT to rid the model of studs. Some might argue that because of how thin the actual wings are, SNOT is disproportionate. However, I personally believe that smoothness is key, and it compensates for the extra thickness. Anyways, here is the model:

naboo_n1.gif

Thanks for looking, and if you read too then double the thanks :laugh: C&C welcome.

EDIT: A big thanks to WillyBob for editing my photo!

~brickartist

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

Very interesting take on the N-1 Naboo Starfighter DC! I love your SNOT approach on this build, your goal of getting the signature smooth finish of this starfighter is quite successful. I also love the gap in the front for the blasters. :thumbup: The initial criticism I could offer is the body seems to be too straight, I think replacing the 2x2 slopes at the sides with 3x2s or 3x4s will approximate more the wider side sloping part of the ship.

431px-N1topview.jpg

The initial criticism I could offer is the body seems to be too straight, I think replacing the 2x2 slopes at the sides with 3x2s or 3x4s will approximate more the wider side sloping part of the ship.

[snip]

I agree. I also think that the engines could be longer with more yellow, and that the cockpit should be moved a little forwards and the tail extended.

Nice! The main body area seems a little too thin, though. Otherwise, it's quite good. :classic:

Personally, I prefer the thinner version, but that's just me.

In the interest of providing more holistic constructive criticism for this MOC as I see would be reasonable (there's no point in Flickr comments and nitpicking is just ridiculous) I will say this: on the one hand, you've done a very nice job of capturing the smoothness of ship; on the other hand, you've canceled out a lot of its signature Naboo curves (not that that isn't a good thing - I don't like Naboo ships too much) which detracts from the character of the ship itself. An N-1 without a whole lot of curvature simply can't be called an N-1 (something which LEGO admittedly did nicely with the use of the large slope pieces on 7660 and the recent rendition). I think the reason for this is partly due to your use of SNOT, though I don't believe it's necessarily this restrictive shape-wise; for example, some angling bricks/tiles around the cockpit area would aid greatly in providing shape.

Lastly, although 100% accuracy is impossible with LEGO it doesn't mean you should toss it out the window completely because I believe one aspect of making a good MOC is in capturing certain very prominent aspects of the ship - surprisingly enough - accurately. An example would be what you've done with the studlessness, which you've done well. However, proportions are also a significant aspect and while there are some places where roughly ideal proportions just aren't possible (obviously, the thickness of the wings) there are certainly some places where it can be brought a little closer (the shape of the wings).

That pretty much does it for the 'holistic' criticism. Now brickartist I know that unlike many people you actually like my specific style of criticism so if you'd like that as well send me a PM and we can talk some things over (for one, engines and cockpit).

Edited by fallenangel309

Thanks for all the comments! I'll reply individually to them when I get the chance. Fallen, feel free shoot me that PM. Slot of these innaccuracues are mainly due to my lack of yellow. I'm pretty much going off some brick buckets, an Exo force set, and the prievious N-1.

Great moc dobbyclone, I also agree that the main body need an other angle.

and you are making a lot of mocs in a short time Is youre goal to make one MOC a week? :laugh:

Keep up the good work

Arrg I see 12 studs fail :laugh:.

No Its not DobbyClone its great, however the sloping should extend from the end of the wings to the end of the cockpit, you have them stopping at the start of the cockpit. Great job though.

(Needs More Chrome :laugh:).

Edit:I think the sloping needs to be a bit wider though. (Much better than TLG's 4 attempts, you'd think that after 4 they might have had it.)

Edited by Mr Man

Great work so far 'DC', but I feel the main body of the fighter too thin towards the front, plus the engines need a little work like the good doctor has already said.

The SNOT wings are excellent and give this craft some nice clean lines.....it just needs beefing up a little ! :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

Very interesting take on the N-1 Naboo Starfighter DC! I love your SNOT approach on this build, your goal of getting the signature smooth finish of this starfighter is quite successful. I also love the gap in the front for the blasters. :thumbup: The initial criticism I could offer is the body seems to be too straight, I think replacing the 2x2 slopes at the sides with 3x2s or 3x4s will approximate more the wider side sloping part of the ship.

Thanks very much KDM! Right now, my yellow supply is very sly. I will likely do a BL order to execute those curves, and angles better.

I agree. I also think that the engines could be longer with more yellow, and that the cockpit should be moved a little forwards and the tail extended.

As I said to KDM-I wish I had a Lot more yellow. By the time I'd reached building the back I only had that 1x8 tile left :hmpf_bad:

To bricklink!

Nice! The main body area seems a little too thin, though. Otherwise, it's quite good. :classic:

Personally, I prefer the thinner version, but that's just me.

thats a really great work! i just love it :tongue:

Snip

Thanks for those fallen I'll take them into mind on V2!

Great moc dobbyclone, I also agree that the main body need an other angle.

and you are making a lot of mocs in a short time Is youre goal to make one MOC a week? :laugh:

Keep up the good work

Thanks!

Well, This was the result of roughly 2 hours of work today. I actually have 2 more done and ready :grin: An OT and a PT.

Arrg I see 12 studs fail :laugh:.

No Its not DobbyClone its great, however the sloping should extend from the end of the wings to the end of the cockpit, you have them stopping at the start of the cockpit. Great job though.

(Needs More Chrome :laugh:).

Edit:I think the sloping needs to be a bit wider though. (Much better than TLG's 4 attempts, you'd think that after 4 they might have had it.)

I was angry about those :angry:

:grin: :grin:

Great work so far 'DC', but I feel the main body of the fighter too thin towards the front, plus the engines need a little work like the good doctor has already said.

The SNOT wings are excellent and give this craft some nice clean lines.....it just needs beefing up a little ! :wink:

Brick On ! :grin:

Thanks Lightning!

Edited by DobbyClone