Jump to content


Invisible Hand


28 replies to this topic

#1 NSKLAM

NSKLAM

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-September 10
    Member: 13157

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image
Hello all.

I have been looking all over the net for the instructions for Curtis Black's invisible hand.

Was it ever released? if so is it still downloadable anywhere? (or am i couple of years too late?)


On a side note. anyone know what happened to BrickCommander? they seem to stop updating since 2008

#2 KimT

KimT

  • Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith


    Posts: 14078
    Joined: 11-November 04
    Member: 101
    Country: Denmark

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

What's BrickCommander?
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words


Posted Image


#3 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:27 PM

View PostNSKLAM, on 22 March 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Hello all.

I have been looking all over the net for the instructions for Curtis Black's invisible hand.

Was it ever released?  if so is it still downloadable anywhere?  (or am i couple of years too late?)


On a side note.  anyone know what happened to BrickCommander?  they seem to stop updating since 2008
OMG. What a coincidence.

I built Curtis's IH (see my signature).
But currently, I'm working on a 108cm long model. It will have the right proportions. And it will also have the same scale as the Venator UCS (see my signature too).

Here is a screenshot :

Posted Image

I should be able to supply the files in the next days or weeks. For free.

So, my only advise : be patient ! ;)

Edited by Anio, 22 March 2011 - 08:28 PM.


#4 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21429
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostKimT, on 22 March 2011 - 08:24 PM, said:

What's BrickCommander?
BrickCommander.com He builds lots of different themes, but in SW it's space craft to-scale with 10030. Star Wars models can be found here. (those built by Primus are his)

#5 NSKLAM

NSKLAM

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-September 10
    Member: 13157

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

OMG. What a coincidence.

I built Curtis's IH (see my signature).
But currently, I'm working on a 108cm long model. It will have the right proportions. And it will also have the same scale as the Venator UCS (see my signature too).

Here is a screenshot :

Posted Image

I should be able to supply the files in the next days or weeks. For free.

So, my only advise : be patient ! ;)

Hey Anio

How did you build Curtis Black's version?  Just from his images uploaded or do you have the CAD file?

#6 BrickArtist

BrickArtist

    Posts: 975
    Joined: 20-October 10
    Member: 13835

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

Link
journal

It just says it all...

Edited by DobbyClone, 22 March 2011 - 09:51 PM.

Former Star Wars fan? Looking for Knights? Go here to trade with me!
"So take a shower a shower and shine your shoes, you got no time to lose, your a young man you must be living. " Best song ever, The General By dispatch--Check it out now!
Most recent MOC: BARC Speeder: http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=77126
Be sure to check out my most recent MOCs,Naboo Starfighter, UCS Swamp Speeder, and the UCS BARC speeder.

I have obsessive compulsive BARC disorder...

KOTBR: http://the-lsw-empir...otion.com/forum

#7 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21429
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

View PostDobbyClone, on 22 March 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

Link
journal

It just says it all...
Um, that's Mark Kelso's Invisible Hand.  :sceptic:

#8 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

View PostNSKLAM, on 22 March 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

How did you build Curtis Black's version?  Just from his images uploaded or do you have the CAD file?
I asked him the building instruction.

But I would have been able to built it with photos if I hadn't been lazy.  :laugh:

View PostDobbyClone, on 22 March 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

Link
journal

It just says it all...

Troll and trueness ON :

The proportion are totally wrong.
And it is sometimes poorly designed inside.

Posted Image

What the hell are U-joints doing there ?!!?
He could have find something better.  :sadnew:

Troll and trueness OFF.

#9 NSKLAM

NSKLAM

    Posts: 4
    Joined: 09-September 10
    Member: 13157

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

I asked him the building instruction.

But I would have been able to built it with photos if I hadn't been lazy.  :laugh:



Troll and trueness ON :

The proportion are totally wrong.
And it is sometimes poorly designed inside.

Posted Image

What the hell are U-joints doing there ?!!?
He could have find something better.  :sadnew:

Troll and trueness OFF.

Would you be able to upload the instructions somewhere?  I have emailed curtis but he have not replied for the past month.

Thanks in advance

#10 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

View PostNSKLAM, on 22 March 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

Would you be able to upload the instructions somewhere?  I have emailed curtis but he have not replied for the past month.

Thanks in advance
Yes, I e-mailed him too one month ago. But I get no reply either.

Otherwise, I find it a bit annoying to supply the instruction. Actually, it is not mine, you understand.
I think that asking to the owner of the model is, in a certain maner, a way to show his recognition.

I know that. Cause I built MOCs too. And I'm very happy when people contact me about my (UCS) work.

Be patient for few days, and I will give you my 3D file.

Edited by Anio, 22 March 2011 - 11:10 PM.


#11 jamie75

jamie75

  • Packs a large walker


    Posts: 464
    Joined: 03-August 05
    Member: 454
    Country: Hoth

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

Brick Commander should be updated soon. He now works for Lego and travels alot between the US, Germany, and Denmark. I just got a reply from him the other day!! He said he has alot of new things to add.

Curtis Black sent me the CD with instructions for his Invisible Hand years ago, I will see if if I can find it now. Haven't used it since I built his ship.

Jamie

No luck finding the CD with instructions on it!! I looked through all my disks and nothing!

Edited by jamie75, 23 March 2011 - 03:07 AM.


#12 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

View PostNSKLAM, on 22 March 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Was it ever released?  if so is it still downloadable anywhere?  (or am i couple of years too late?)

No offense, but it's a little odd that you would think of asking for building instructions to someone's model without even knowing if there were any.
From what I can see of Curtis Black's model most of the construction is fairly straightforward (stacked bricks) so with the number of pictures provided it shouldn't be too difficult, buildwise, to approximate something similar.

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

But currently, I'm working on a 108cm long model. It will have the right proportions. And it will also have the same scale as the Venator UCS (see my signature too).

:thumbup: I'm glad that there's at least one other person who's also concerned about proportions on an MOC. If I remember correctly you even mentioned on SeTechnic that the proportions on Black's model were pretty off as well.
Even though it's not intended to be a model I think having something close to the correct proportions on an MOC of something is important because often it just looks better.

I think the reason the proportions are so skewed is because the MOC might have been based on this.

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

Troll and trueness ON :

Can I borrow this...? :grin:

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 10:07 PM, said:

The proportion are totally wrong.
And it is sometimes poorly designed inside.

[snip]

What the hell are U-joints doing there ?!!?
He could have find something better.  :sadnew:

I agree with what you said (even worse, because getting proportions about right would be relatively easy in a model of this size - I think it looks too phallic, and apparently he does too). It's admittedly ironic, though, that you had a similar issue before.

BrickCommander works for LEGO? I wonder how he feels about his job.

#13 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

View Postfallenangel309, on 22 March 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

If I remember correctly you even mentioned on SeTechnic that the proportions on Black's model were pretty off as well.

Yes.

Posted Image

View Postfallenangel309, on 22 March 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

I think the reason the proportions are so skewed is because the MOC might have been based on this.
Your link is broken. :/

View Postfallenangel309, on 22 March 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:

It's admittedly ironic, though, that you had a similar issue before.
The UCS Slave is not my best MOC. But I'm very satisfied with it.
I think that I can not improve it anymore. I really get what I wanted to get with it. ^^

#14 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:15 AM

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 11:54 PM, said:

Yes.

Wow, they're really off.

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 11:54 PM, said:

Your link is broken. :/

Whoops. I was referring to the illustration shown in the Episode III Incredible Cross-Sections (in which the ship is portrayed as being stubby and fat). Another reason why I have largely stopped using 'official' sources like the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels as reference.

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 11:54 PM, said:

The UCS Slave is not my best MOC. But I'm very satisfied with it.
I think that I can not improve it anymore. I really get what I wanted to get with it. ^^

Yes, I agree, and I'll say that in spite of its inaccuracies it's really good.

#15 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21429
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

View Postfallenangel309, on 23 March 2011 - 12:15 AM, said:

Whoops. I was referring to the illustration shown in the Episode III Incredible Cross-Sections (in which the ship is portrayed as being stubby and fat). Another reason why I have largely stopped using 'official' sources like the Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels as reference.
Try this.

#16 jamie75

jamie75

  • Packs a large walker


    Posts: 464
    Joined: 03-August 05
    Member: 454
    Country: Hoth

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:13 AM

View Postfallenangel309, on 22 March 2011 - 11:47 PM, said:


BrickCommander works for LEGO? I wonder how he feels about his job.

Quoted from Brickcommander.com

And last, but not least, I got a new job. In January I have been hired by .... LEGO Denmark to work as a Digital Model Designer! :D

While I am currently helping designing LEGO Universe, the upcoming MMOG (Massively Multiplayer Online Game), I'm doing quite some travelling between Denmark, Germany and the US (where LEGO Universe is being developed). Actually I just returned from the US after a months stay. And I brought some new stuff with me: the Kelswa tank from MW and a preview on new Microspace content, as well as my copy of the Recusant cruiser from Star Wars episode III - along with three 'Mechs!


As for how he feels about it. I would think he likes it, because, he was doing this for free for years on brickcommander.com. Now, he gets paid for it.

Jamie

#17 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:01 AM

View Postjamie75, on 23 March 2011 - 03:13 AM, said:

As for how he feels about it. I would think he likes it, because, he was doing this for free for years on brickcommander.com. Now, he gets paid for it.

The thing is that The LEGO Group and your average AFOL do not always see eye to eye on how something should look when it is LEGO; for example, I learned upon reading an interview with another designer that works for the company that they advocate studded builds. I also know that they have a strict policy against illegal connections and, to a lesser degree, SNOT (I swear, they've got something against it). So it wouldn't be quite the same.

#18 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:10 AM

View Postfallenangel309, on 24 March 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

they advocate studded builds. I also know that they have a strict policy against illegal connections and, to a lesser degree, SNOT (I swear, they've got something against it).
That's perfectly normal. Posted Image

Edited by Anio, 24 March 2011 - 12:11 AM.


#19 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 26 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

View PostAnio, on 22 March 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

I should be able to supply the files in the next days or weeks. For free.
So, here it is. The 3D file : http://up.sur-la-toile.com/iKxV
2153 parts, without greebs (to do good greebs, I need to have the parts in my hands :p)

A few shots of the model :

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Dunno if you like it, but I'm not very satisfied with it...

Ok, proportions are right, etc.
But when I look at the ship, the first I'm thinking to is that it is pointlessly big ! *_*
There is not more details than in the previous version. :/
Building big MOCs for the sake of building big MOCs is not the way I design my MOC.

The previous IH certainly had wrong proportions, but it looks better, doesn't it ?


What do you think about that ?  :look:

#20 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

View PostAnio, on 26 March 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Dunno if you like it, but I'm not very satisfied with it...

Ok, proportions are right, etc.
But when I look at the ship, the first I'm thinking to is that it is pointlessly big ! *_*
There is not more details than in the previous version. :/
Building big MOCs for the sake of building big MOCs is not the way I design my MOC.

The previous IH certainly had wrong proportions, but it looks better, doesn't it ?


What do you think about that ?  :look:

While I can certainly see where you're coming from (all that size but not much that's been done with it) I wouldn't say the size is solely for the sake of making something big. For one, the increased size allowed you to achieve proportions on your MOC that are closer to those of the ship seen in the films, which in itself is a great feat in that it not only made the ship more recognizable but also more aesthetically pleasing (I personally prefer this long, sleeker rendition to Curtis Black's chubby model).
However, I will agree with you that there could be some more work done concerning details, and I think that this has partly to do with that you've increased the size without changing critical aspects of the build (at least externally; I don't know about the frame, so I won't say anything about that). Larger size should basically allow you more freedom with the bricks as more complex structures are possible in a larger space, and I see some areas where you could take advantage of that. I mean, wouldn't you agree that this is largely a straight up-and-down "sculpture" build, whereas many UCS sets such as 10030 and 10143 are mostly angled plates?

By the way, I think I see three engines, and then I think I see two; which is it? (There should be three.)

#21 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21429
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

View Postfallenangel309, on 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

By the way, I think I see three engines, and then I think I see two; which is it? (There should be three.)
It looks like the third engine wouldn't fit in LDD, so he left it off to the side.

Looks great, Anio. If you make it bigger, I don't think anyone here will object. :laugh:

#22 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

View Postfallenangel309, on 26 March 2011 - 05:25 PM, said:

While I can certainly see where you're coming from (all that size but not much that's been done with it) I wouldn't say the size is solely for the sake of making something big. For one, the increased size allowed you to achieve proportions on your MOC that are closer to those of the ship seen in the films, which in itself is a great feat in that it not only made the ship more recognizable but also more aesthetically pleasing (I personally prefer this long, sleeker rendition to Curtis Black's chubby model).
However, I will agree with you that there could be some more work done concerning details, and I think that this has partly to do with that you've increased the size without changing critical aspects of the build (at least externally; I don't know about the frame, so I won't say anything about that). Larger size should basically allow you more freedom with the bricks as more complex structures are possible in a larger space, and I see some areas where you could take advantage of that. I mean, wouldn't you agree that this is largely a straight up-and-down "sculpture" build, whereas many UCS sets such as 10030 and 10143 are mostly angled plates?

By the way, I think I see three engines, and then I think I see two; which is it? (There should be three.)
Few months ago, I tried building the model with plate instead of bricks.
But it is not viable. The shapes of the IH are too round for that.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

As for the detail, I do not know what I can add. :/
On the real model, most of the surfaces are sleek.

Eventually, the 3rd engine is in the file but not on the ship cause I didn't success to attach it.

#23 xecom

xecom

    Posts: 17
    Joined: 26-March 11
    Member: 16862

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

Oh damn wish i had all the pieces to make one :P

#24 Anio

Anio

  • I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.


    Posts: 1422
    Joined: 18-February 09
    Member: 5344
    Country: France

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 26 March 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

If you make it bigger, I don't think anyone here will object. :laugh:
Yeah but you know me. You know that this is not what I'm looking for when I design a model.  :wink:

#25 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21429
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 26 March 2011 - 07:07 PM

View PostAnio, on 26 March 2011 - 06:56 PM, said:

Yeah but you know me. You know that this is not what I'm looking for when I design a model.  :wink:
I know. But in this case I would say get the proportions right and worry about the minute details later.

By the way, how big is this compared to your Venator?

EDIT: Corrected misspelled word.

Edited by Brickdoctor, 26 March 2011 - 07:08 PM.




Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users