REVIEW: Ninjago 30083: Dragon Fight

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 pombe

pombe

Member: 16455

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

Posted Image

I'm new to Eurobricks, but I wanted to contribute, so I decided to put together a review.  I'm not a Knight, yet, so I cannot set up a poll for this.  If someone with moderator powers can add a poll to this review, that would be great.  For my first review, I decided to start small, with a polybag LEGO set I found at Target.

Recently, I found three different polybag sets at Target: LEGO Star Wars 30054 AT-ST ($3.99), LEGO City 30010 Fire Chief ($3.49), and LEGO NinjaGo 30083 Dragon Fight ($3.49).  These can be found in their seasonal Easter section, along with Easter candies, chocolates, and the ubiquitous Peeps.  I chose the Ninjago set, because of my recent discovery of micro-building, it seemed like a great parts pack.  While the AT-ST seems more amenable for micro-building, the Ninjago set also comes with a minifigure AND is $0.50 less...and let's face it, who wouldn't want more Ninjas in their LEGO minifigure collection?

30083: Dragon Fight

• Item №: 30083
  • Pieces: 31
  • Minifigures:
  • * 1 Red Ninja
  • Price: US $3.49
  • Ages: 6-12
  • Released: March 2011
  • Theme: Ninjago

Here's a pic of the front and back of the polybag (not that the back is particularly interesting...but I added it for the sake of completeness.  I wonder why TLG didn't put the name of the set on the package.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the front and back of the instructions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are all the parts sorted.  I really like the two black multi-bracket ones...I've never seen them before (then again, I've just only recently come out of a dark age) and I'm trying to come up with ways to use them, because they seem like they would have some cool uses.

Posted Image

Front and back of the minifigure.  I'm not experienced enough to be able to tell if it is a high quality "box set" or low quality "made in China" minifigure, but the torso does have the neck painted black (see pic of sorted parts), which may or may not indicate the quality of the minifigure.  Sadly, the head is not double-sided and there is no print on the back of the torso.  He comes with a black katana with a square hilt.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are some shots of the finished "dragon", which, to be honest, looks like a butterfly with a beetle carapace, a tail, and a horned parrot head.  Additionally, I don't feel it fits the Ninjago theme, since it doesn't resemble an Asian style dragon.  However, I guess if I saw that flying at me, I'd run for my life, too (see pic of front of package).  I am also disappointed that the "dragon" has no feet or legs, and thus, cannot land.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Extra parts: an orange horn and a yellow cheese slope.  Mmm...cheese....

Posted Image

And a final shot for size comparison.

Posted Image

My final verdict:

Playability: 5/10 It's a small set, so I cannot expect too much.  The "dragon" is swooshable, and the Ninja has a weapon to fight it.
Design: 7/10 For me, the design suffers, because the "dragon" doesn't really look like an Asian style dragon and it lacks legs so it cannot technically land without crashing.  However, I find that this is a great parts pack, which is why I gave it such a high score.
Price: 9/10 Considering that minifigures themselves cost around $3.00, I think this is a great deal.
Overall: 7/10 A good set, great for people who want to army build a red Ninja army and it comes some parts that I think are pretty neat and useful for micro-building, especially if you are looking for red/orange/yellow parts.

Edited by Peppermint_M, 17 March 2011 - 10:45 PM.
Update title

Posted Image     Posted Image

#2 pombe

pombe

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

Whoops!  I just realized that I built the rear wings incorrectly.  How embarrassing!  :blush:

#3 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

Pretty neat NinjaGo polybagged set, thanks for sharing this mini-review pombe! This is a nice alternative way to get the red ninja minifig if you don't want to go through the normal spinner sets and boxed set.

#4 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the review of an interesting poly bag set 'pombe', but why does it always be the fire one eh ?   :wink:
The dragon is different, but in the budget price bracket what more do you expect ? :wink:
Might get this one if it makes it way to Oz.
Keep on spinning everyone ! :grin:

#5 vexorian

vexorian

Member: 8754

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Heh, that dragonfly may not fit Ninjago but it is very cute and I think in regards to pieces it is superior to at least 2010's Creator impulses.

I wouldn't mind getting a cute creator impulse plus a ninja for 3.49. I just hate that these polybag sets don't seem to arrive to this country.

#6 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:39 PM

Nice review, I just picked up 2 of these yesterday simply for the figure.  It irritates me that the SW one is 50¢ more simply because its SW, and a whole dollar more than last years plugs polybags.

God review though, you mailed ask the key points, sorry for ranting in your review.  I do think of the 3 target sets this is the best.

#7 vagrant

vagrant

Member: 12819

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

It is good review, but it have error.
80083 - not correct.
30083 - correct

Posted Image

#8 pombe

pombe

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

View Postvagrant, on 17 March 2011 - 08:39 AM, said:

It is good review, but it have error.
80083 - not correct.
30083 - correct

You are correct, thanks for that.  I've edited my post, but sadly, I cannot edit the title.  If a mod could do that for me, that would be great.

:blush:   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:

#9 WhiteFang

WhiteFang

• Beep beep!

Member: 2351

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for sharing this nice comprehensive review with us. It is a pity that such lovely polybags are only restricted in certain regions of the world. It will be a good way to acquire those red ninja.  :wub:

View Postpombe, on 17 March 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

You are correct, thanks for that.  I've edited my post, but sadly, I cannot edit the title.  If a mod could do that for me, that would be great.

:blush:   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:   :blush:
Done!  :wink:

For a moment, I thought what special set was that!  :laugh:

My BrickLink Store // Sign up for Reviewers Academy // Trains & Town Reviews // Black Knights Kingdom (EBRP) // Watch out EB News!

Click here to find out more about WhiteFang

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

My name is Wilhalm Bloodaxe and I am back to be part of the Ragnarök Now Redux.

Lord Kenneth Valise, Level 1 Knight, 28yrs old human
Power: 4 Health: 10/10 Gold: 10
Inventory: One potion, a Greatsword (WP: 3) and a Shield (SP: 2)

#10 pombe

pombe

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

View PostWhiteFang, on 17 March 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

:blush:

#11 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Nice review. I wish I was able to find polybags in Canada, besides the SW ones.

#12 Niku

Niku

• Wants two initials

Member: 14912

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the review, it passed some time for a fresh one.  :classic:
I like and would probably buy it but here too arent available. ¬¬
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Spam Hunter

Member: 4757

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

Hi, sorry it took so long to index! I have had a busy few days and didn't have time to sort out the image for the list.

Thanks for this review, I do hope it ends up included in the annual Lego promotion one of our newspapers has here in the UK, that or it is in Lego stores!

Its the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 TheWarden

TheWarden

• Of their choice

Member: 10780

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

Ha, you beat me to it. Just bought one last night and thought I might "mini-review" it tonight.

Oh well. My thoughts:

Pros:
- Nice value. 2 of those new angled clip brackets, 2 orange horns, 2 yellow cheese slopes, yellow animal tail, 5 red 1x2 plate with clip, angled plates. These are nice and semi-uncommon.
- 1 uncommon dark red piece.
- a few points of articulation
- Red ninja and sword

Cons:
- Looks like a chicken.
- If the base was 1 longer, like a 2x4 instead of the 2x3 that was in here, you might be able to have studs on the top which would a play feature; the ninja could ride the dragon.
- The color of the tooth piece? Mine is light orange I think, a color I have none of... Should be orange or yellow. Useless maybe.
- No feet.
- Looks like a chicken.  :laugh:

Thanks for the review.

EDIT: Also, Bricklink is calling this set "Pheonix"? :shrug:

Edited by TheWarden, 18 March 2011 - 01:22 AM.

New to being a AFOL & MOCcing but not new to LEGO itself. Don't have much yet, but:
My Flickr

#15 Baylego

Baylego

Member: 12476

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:47 AM

Great review! This set looks pretty meh though, I think I'll pass.

#16 vlai23

vlai23

Member: 11807

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:51 AM

View PostTheWarden, on 18 March 2011 - 01:17 AM, said:

EDIT: Also, Bricklink is calling this set "Pheonix"? :shrug:

Phoenix... that makes more sense if you display it upright:

(the orange horn is its beak)
Posted Image

compare:
Posted Image

#17 Delta 38

Delta 38

Member: 8890

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:45 AM

Interesting. Might be a nice source of those new knuckle pieces. Personally, though, I'd rather go for the Ambush because of the skeleton.  :classic:
Hi.

#18 xxlrocka

xxlrocka

Member: 20659

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

I remember this. It was in one of my country's newspapers, as part of an annual promotion.
In Heroica I am:  
Posted Image
Drake Flamerobe, http://www.eurobrick...50#entry1441605 for stats.

#19 Pandora

Pandora

• Broke Quarry's heart

Member: 15845

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postxxlrocka, on 12 January 2013 - 10:48 PM, said:

I remember this. It was in one of my country's newspapers, as part of an annual promotion.

Unfortunately your comment doesn't add much to discussion, so please do not bump nearly two year old topics without having something constructive to say. Thank you.

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

A link to all my Reviews and other stuff about me can be found on my "About Me" page, and pics are on flickr

Posted Image

#20 Devorath

Devorath

Member: 32747

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

View PostWhiteFang, on 17 March 2011 - 04:40 PM, said:

Thanks for sharing this nice comprehensive review with us. It is a pity that such lovely polybags are only restricted in certain regions of the world. It will be a good way to acquire those red ninja.  :wub:

NZ is one of those. :( I just have to look at great reviews like yours!
removed link to removed flickr image
             Credit to Carousel for the banner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users