Pandora

2012 Friends Discussion Thread

I also wonder if that slope piece used for the cash register is a printed part.....if so, I hope for a white or light bluey grey similar printed piece for the city range. :wink:

But is that a flipper or frying pan with a plate build burger a.k.a. Krabby Burger.....oh, no Plankton did it and sold it on to this cafe ! :laugh:

Youtube user HKTOYSRUS uploaded a Friends commercial for the Cafe. If it's been shared already..sorry. :sceptic:

-Sci

DUDE! That cafe looks almost exactly like a couple of family restaurants around where I live! *huh* I might just have to get it as well and mod it into the Mini-Freeze that's along the East Broad Top Railroad outside Orbisonia....

Press release from today about LEGO Friends by TLG:

LEGO GROUP DECLARES NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTION FOR 2012:

DELIVER MEANINGFUL PLAY EXPERIENCES TO GIRLS WORLDWIDE WITH NEW LEGO® FRIENDS

-Company brings classic construction play to the girls’ aisle with first-of- its-kind LEGO mini-doll figure, three new brick colors and detailed interiors that reflect four years of research in play needs of girls-

BILLUND, Denmark (December 19, 2011) – The LEGO Group, the world’s leading construction toy brand, today announced LEGO® Friends, a new play theme that tailors the iconic LEGO construction experience especially to girls ages five and up. LEGO Friends delivers on a girl’s desire for realistic role-play, creativity, and a highly-detailed, character-based world with the core values of LEGO building.

The LEGO Friends collection of 23 products ranges in price from from $5.99 to $99.99 USD and the first 14 will be available for sale in select toy, discount merchandise, specialty and online stores beginning December 26, 2011 in the United Kingdom and January 1, 2012 in the United States. A rolling International launch will follow in the spring, with the remaining nine sets launching in the summer months.

“We felt it was time to test assumptions that girls aren’t interested in building and to breathe fresh air into a toy category filled mostly with pre-fabricated play experiences for girls,” said Jørgen Vig Knudstorp, CEO, LEGO Group.

“We focused on creating a play experience centered on the joy of creation, while heeding the way girls naturally build and play. We are incredibly proud of the solution we deliver with LEGO Friends, and are resolved to build this platform for years to come.”

LEGO Friends is the first 100 percent LEGO building experience fully optimized to girls’ tastes and interests. Thousands of girls and their mothers worldwide participated in intensive research that validated the desire for more beauty, realistic details, accessories and interior building and role play opportunities in a LEGO offering.

Introducing the LEGO mini-doll figure

Anchored by the introduction of a new mini-doll figure, LEGO Friends introduces a new LEGO minifigure platform tailored to girls’ requests for a more realistic, relatable and stylized figure. Designed to the same scale of the classic LEGO minifigure, the mini-doll figure stands roughly 5 millimeters taller than its minifigure sibling, yet features similar constructability, shares the iconic “claw” hand to hold the same accessories, can wear the same hair and headpieces, and is compatible with all LEGO building sets. A total of 29 different mini-doll figures will be introduced in 2012.

“LEGO Friends is one of the most researched LEGO projects ever and is a culmination of years of anthropological research with girls around the world to understand what they expect from a construction toy,” said Nanna Ulrich Gudum, senior creative director, LEGO Group. “In talking with girls and their moms, we understand that girls really want a LEGO offering that mirrors what the boys experience, but in a way that fulfills their unique desire for remodeling and redesign, combined with realistic themes in community and friendship.”

“Unlike previous LEGO toys for girls, LEGO Friends, at its core, does not apologize for being a construction toy and delivers, for the first time, a building experience in the same scale as our classic offerings,” Nanna Ulrich Gudum continued. “What LEGO Friends does differently is deliver the beauty, details, accessories, real world themes and need for strong interior play that the research revealed would make all the difference for girls ages 5 and up.”

Welcome to Heartlake City

The LEGO Friends story centers on the everyday lives and personalities of five girls in a fictional hometown called Heartlake City. Each of the friends—Olivia, Mia, Andrea, Stephanie and Emma—has a distinct personality and interests, such as animals, performing arts, invention and design, that are reflected in the models. Building sets reflect different parts of town where the girls’ adventures take place—downtown, suburbs, beach, camping grounds and mountains.

The product collection

Half of the launch collection includes construction sets themed to introduce girls to each of the “Friend’s” personalities, including: Stephanie’s Outdoor Bakery, Emma’s Splash Pool, Andrea’s Stage, Olivia’s Inventor’s Workshop, Stephanie’s Pet Patrol, Mia’s Puppy House and Emma’s Design Studio. Girls are also invited to construct the Friends’ favorite locations in Heartlake City with larger building sets, including: Stephanie’s Cool Convertible, Olivia’s Tree House, Heartlake Dog Show, Butterfly Beauty Shop, City Park Café, Heartlake Vet, and Olivia’s House. The remaining nine sets launching later in the year deliver the same range in price and theme.

Immersive brand experience

Children will be immersed in the new world they can create with LEGO Friends through a variety of brand experiences planned for 2012. In addition to providing product information, the LEGO Friends website will allow children to explore the personalities of each of the five Friends and the different spots in Heartlake City. The site will also feature an avatar creator, mini-movies, games, video building tips, story extensions, contests, news and an events calendar. Also planned are Interactive building events and road shows, promotions, magazines, digital content, a mini movie, in-store experiences, books and more. Check www.LEGOFriends.com for more information.

and more :sweet::

FACT SHEET

LEGO® Friends tailors the beloved LEGO construction experience especially for girls ages 5 and up. LEGO Friends delivers on a girl’s desire for realistic role-play, creativity, and a highly-detailed, character-based world with the core values of LEGO building. The LEGO Friends collection of 23 products ranges in price from $5.99 to $99.99 USD and the first 14 will be available for sale in the girls’ toy aisle of select toy, discount merchandise, specialty and online stores beginning December 26, 2011 in the United Kingdom and January 1, 2012 in the United States

NEW PRODUCT FEATURES

· LEGO Mini-Doll Figure: tailored to girls’ requests for a more realistic, relatable and stylized figure, the new mini-doll figure stands roughly 5 millimeters taller than its minifigure sibling, yet features similar constructability, shares the iconic “claw” hand to hold the same accessories, can wear the same hair and headpieces, and is compatible with all LEGO building sets. 29 different mini-doll figures will be introduced in 2012.

· New Colors: three new LEGO element colors—two blues and a lavender—and three new deco colors—two greens and another purple—were added to create LEGO Friends.

· Rich World: the LEGO Friends story centers on the everyday lives and personalities of five girls—Olivia, Mia, Andrea, Stephanie and Emma—in Heartlake City. Each girl’s personality and interests are reflected in the collection.

SPRING 2012 LEGO FRIENDS PRODUCTS

· 3930 Stephanie’s Outdoor Bakery (age 5+; $5.99) includes Stephanie mini-doll figure and everything she needs to host an outdoor garden party.

· 3931 Emma’s Splash Pool (age 5+;$5.99) a fun space where the Friends gather that includes Emma mini-doll figure, lounge chair, pool and an ice cream cone to stay cool.

· 3932 Andrea’s Stage (age 5+; $9.99) mini-doll figure Andrea showcases her musical talent at the piano and on stage as a vocal performer.

· 3933 Olivia’s Inventor’s Workshop (age 5+; $9.99) mini-doll figure Olivia loves having a space to flex her brain inventing cool gadgets and conducting chemistry experiments.

· 3934 Mia’s Puppy House (age 5+; $9.99) mini-doll figure Mia loves animals and takes good care of her puppy with a comfortable doghouse and everything she needs to keep it bathed and groomed.

· 3935 Stephanie’s Pet Patrol (age 5+; $9.99) build a quad vehicle and trailer to help mini-doll figure Stephanie rescue animals, like the cute bunny, around town.

· 3936 Emma’s Design Studio (age 5+; $9.99) this design studio has everything mini-doll figure Emma needs to express her creative side, including a project table, accessories and laptop.

· 3183 Stephanie’s Cool Convertible (age 6; $14.99) the Friends love to move about town in mini-doll figure Stephanie’s sweet ride that features her puppy and fun accessories, including an MP3 player.

· 3065 Olivia’s Tree House (age 6; $19.99) a treetop meeting spot for all of the Friends that includes Olivia mini-doll figure and her cat, a bird, folding ladders and a secret hideout.

· 3942 Heartlake Dog Show (age 6; $19.99) mini-doll figure Mia organizes the annual dog show, complete with adorable puppies and bones, fun accessories, runway, obstacle course, podiums and a trophy for the winner.

· 3187 Butterfly Beauty Shop (age 6; $24.99) this salon includes everything the Friends need for a day of pampering, including new mini-doll figure hairstyles to try, hairbrushes, cosmetics and accessories, plus Emma and stylist, Sarah, mini-doll figures.

· 3061 City Park Café (age 6; $29.99) in this fun spot, the Friends can order up buildable cupcakes, milkshakes, and burgers while sharing stories and laughter. Includes cash register, tables and Andrea and café server, Marie, mini-doll figures.

· 3188 Heartlake Vet (age 6; $39.99) mini-doll figure Mia volunteers at the local vet clinic that features everything needed to care for the animals such as the dog, hedgehog and horse. Also includes Sophie, the veterinarian, mini-doll figure.

· 3315 Olivia’s House (age 6; $69.99) mini-doll figure Olivia’s suburban home is loaded with buildable, functional details that girls can use to create rooms including a bedroom, living room, bathroom, kitchen, outdoor terrace, yard and more. Features modular building instructions that allow the house to be remodeled, redecorated or rearranged for hours of building and role play fun. Also includes Olivia’s parents, Anna and Peter, mini-doll figure.

MORE DETAILS

Visit www.LEGOFriends.com for an immersive brand experience including an avatar creator, mini-movies, games, video building tips, story extensions, contests, news, product details and an events calendar.

The Friends line is a unique venture for me. On one hand, I want to grab a lot of these sets if for my future daughter and for the really fun color palette that's VERY unique to these sets. On another hand, I'm at a loss as to why TLG feels the need to release sets aimed specifically at girls with minifigs that change the core picture of Lego [to me]. <After typing this, I realize that this is really the only problem I have here - I can see where they're coming from with releasing more girl themed sets. The Barbie/G.I. Joe comparison sort of flipped a switch for me. My issue is with the minifigs.>

Will the theme sell well? I'm sure it will. I'm sure it WILL grab little girls' attention the same way Barbie and other toys with pink puke packaging. From a marketing standpoint, I think it WILL work.

While I do feel a bit odd about TLG releasing a set themed towards young girls' interest, I'm in no way offended by it. The parallel that comes to mind is G.I. Joe and Barbie. It's clear that (in most cases), they are aimed at their respective sex. With Lego, though, in general, there isn't an overall feeling of masculinity or femininity to their lines. The Disney Cars line has a certain male glow to it with the new black and red flashy packaging.

As I typed that, I thought about some of the other Lego packaging. Many of the logos and theme defining pictures are sharp and flashy with a more masculine color palette (blacks, blues, silvers, darker hues, etc), whereas the new Friends line is a bit more floaty in the logo design and lighthearted in color selection (pinks, purples, baby blues, etc). Who knows - maybe I'm reading into a bit too much, but it's only now that I THINK about it that I get a certain vibe from the overall display.

Deep down, I want this to do well - I want Lego to reach the larger audience they are pushing for. I think the only real thing that bothers me is the fact that TLG felt the need to create a specific minifig that is more feminine. I really do not care for the new design - it doesn't look like it belongs in the Lego world, and that's a problem for me.

Edited by nicoga3000

I showed my 10-year-old sister some of these sets yesterday to guage her opinion on it and she said she hated the new Friends mini figure. She said she much prefers the classic minifig, but I suspect that is because she is already more familiar with them. She had Polly Pocket when she was younger and she used to love them so I'm fairly certain if these had been around when she was a bit younger she would have enjoyed these too. Now she's a bit more mature and less into typical girly things and more interested in horses and dragons. That said, a lot of girls I knew growing up liked horses so I would be sure to include some horse sets in the Friends theme if I were TLG.

Personally, like basically all of the AFOLs here, I like the Friends sets for the colors and pieces. If I do end up getting any, ill toss the figs aside. I don't hate TLG for making new figures. As long as they don't replace the old minifig, you don't have to use the new ones.

As for all the controversy, its clear that Lego is currently more aimed at boys. Aside from a few City sets, there isn't much for girls. In my honest opinion, Harry Potter is the only uni-sex line they have, owing more to the huge popularity of HP with boys and girls. A quick visit to the Lego home page even proves that they are more biased towards boys, with only male minifigs appearing on the screen. It only makes sense that TLG wants to capture the girl market and it only makes sense that to do so the sets need to be feminine.

Is it right that toy companies in general play into this sexism? Possibly not, but proper parenting is what determines a child's development, not whether their toys are pink or blue. In this politically correct world we live in, it saddens me that we have to have any controversy over this at all. It's as if these various special interest groups just want attention.

Edited by bootz

Some of the summer sets :devil:

3063 Plane

3184 Camper

3185 Riding Camp

3186 Horse Trailer

3189 Horse Stable

3937 Speedboat

3938 Bunny house

3939 Music

Great parts for a City builder like me :thumbup:

It's probably been said before (I didn't go through the thread end-to-end to check), but these figures aren't for girls who are already into LEGO. They are for girls who are into polly/bratz/etc. As far as I can tell, this theme is meant to get more girls into LEGO not keep the ones already here.

Those of us who are already fans (of any age, gender, race) will keep being fans of the system no matter what themes they come up with. Some themes we will like, some we will hate, some we will buy on clearance for parts.

The point of Friends is that 1) Open the system up to new fans who previously didn't like LEGO because the minifigures "all look like boys" or "are short and fat" [i've heard both these comments in the real world from little girls] and 2) Give us some cool new animals/plants/accessories and some great new colors outside a licensed theme.

Friends is for Girls what Ninjago is for Boys.

Edited by darkdragon

I love this guy:

hurrs

He tried most of the friends' hairpieces on the regular minifig. Loving the afro-american and the two blonde hairpieces

Edited by Otherworld

I love this guy:

hurrs

He tried most of the friends' hairpieces on the regular minifig. Loving the afro-american and the two blonde hairpieces

Wow, those do look good.

Thanks 'Allen' for the list, no shops :hmpf_bad: ....a plane, okay, one of girl's are into skydiving....interesting......speed boat, ah, bikini's and bunny house.....what complete with bunny ears for the girls....who said this might not be for boy's eh ? :laugh_hard:

One could wish, but it must a be a rabbit hutch....well at least there will be bikini clad figures ! :devil_laugh:

Horse sets, yep....Saddle Club in Lego eh ? :sarcasm_smug:

Friends is for Girls what Ninjago is for Boys.

My daughter collects Ninjago now. She is past the pink phase. Had Lego been a couple years earlier with the theme, it may be different. I probably get them so I have more variety of colours and parts for MOCs.

Even Bunnies need houses :)

So I assume the last Bellville sets left will be gone soon and on ebay for big bux

Confusing, that is?

I mean that it's a whole world with huge backstory/stories to go with it for grabbing a new/budding audience. I'm NOT saying (at all) that boys can't like Friends and girls can't like Ninjago. That would be rediculous. It's about a business decision and going after a market and hitting that market squarely in the face, it is a great move (Friends for girls, Ninjago for boys) that is bringing (or going to bring) new fans into the LEGO world as a whole.

I mean that it's a whole world with huge backstory/stories to go with it for grabbing a new/budding audience. I'm NOT saying (at all) that boys can't like Friends and girls can't like Ninjago. That would be rediculous. It's about a business decision and going after a market and hitting that market squarely in the face, it is a great move (Friends for girls, Ninjago for boys) that is bringing (or going to bring) new fans into the LEGO world as a whole.

Well, said, Dark Dragon, well said indeed... I know I'm going to be getting a few of these sets, and I'll definitely get one of the Bunny House sets for my rabbit-raising girlfriend (she really likes bunnies, almost as much as she likes cats). :sweet:

EDIT: I'm also wondering if the Speed Boat will be using the hull that comes with the City Fishing Boat and Power Boat Transporter sets, but in pink... If that is the case, I might have to get it to make a fast-attack boat for my Kyoshi Warriors. :tongue:

Edited by Hikaro Takayama

I feel sorry for this Peter fellow. Poor guy. The token male character in a girls theme, a la Ken from Barbie. I'll wager the other normal minifig guys make fun of him constantly.

The camper set is not too bad, a little Barbie-ish though. Cute rabbit hutch :classic: , not bad drum kit :thumbup: , airplane....oh, that's so unrealistic. :thumbdown:

Stables, yep.....Saddle Club, that would have been an interesting license product. :wink:

Then pops up the monster structure.....a riding school......yep, Saddle Club again.....reins for horses....yes finally for our minifig horse riders too.....I order just those for my kingdom's horses. :grin:

But the Kombi van, Barbie-ised...totally.....still good, but heading in the direction of unrealistic. :wink: (ah, well it's only a toy :laugh: )

Oh, lookie, another Advent Calender. How wondeful! :hmpf:

That makes 3 calenders next year.

Anyway, other than the Calender, every set looks wonderful! A blue bike, more Red Riding Hood baskets, this for sure is the best year for Lego..

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

You see the reason behind this advent calender, two fold.....the girls who play with and are in love with Friends and second, parents who are narrow-minded....oh, City looks too boyish.....oh, my little girl only wants this Friends thing even if she doesn't.....yet, they will not look closely at the City calendar and see the female fire fighter....ah, well....that's life. :wink:

A question for the moderators, should we have a another topic started for set or sub-theme suggestions for Friends.....plus will this stay in the Town forum or move to where Belville lives in the Other forum ? :classic: