BrickArtist

[MOC] UCS BARC Speeder

gallery_101_23_281.gif

EDIT:UPDATED PHOTOS ON SECOND PAGE.

Fallenangel told me several times that if i really wanted to perfect this model I would have to go up in scale, and after a few rough sketches, little bit of VLD(Virtual lego design...in my head :laugh: ) I've put this together. If you don't know what a BARC is, or want a closer look, here is my main reference picture:

BARC_profile.jpg

To me this is one of the most elegant and beautiful vehicles in the saga. With that being said it is close to impossible to capture all of its curves, tapers, and details at minifig scale. Many have tried, I've given it 6 attempts and realized it couldn't be done. Probably the most difficult elements would be the doming backside and the region where the Biker would sit. At UCS scale I knew that all those portions would be doable. So anyways here is my model:

barc_ucs_main.jpg

At minifig scale the widening front section could be represented, but not well. I've made it seven studs wide.

barc_ucs_front_part.jpg

The lightings a bit odd in this shot, but it shows the proportions of the model. You can also see sloping section under the doming backside.

barc_ucs.jpg

Here are the handlebars, undoubtedly my favorite part :wub: I loved how I could actually fit the two pairs in, and not just a half-way-there attempt like on my minifig-scale one.

barc_ucs_handelbars.jpg

I used plates to make the back dome, and did the same for the rear repulsor lifts.

barc_ucs_back_part.jpg

And lastly a view of the front:

barc_ucs_back_part.jpg

Thanks for looking! I hoped you liked it, remember I always appreciate it if you include what you didn't like, in addition to what you did like. :wink:

One last thing-Because this is purely meant accurately represent the speeder that I shared a picture off, that appeared in Revenge of the Sith, comments like 'needs more color' aren't welcome. I don't consider criticism constructive if it's not helping me reach my ultimate goal accuracy. Hence, only constructive criticism please. :classic:

Edited by KielDaMan
Indexed

AWESOME UCS creation 'Dobbyclone', very nicely detailed, though I see only one problem the intakes are not straight down, but a have a sort of scoop shape to them...but apart from that....I'll say it again...AWESOME ! :grin:

May the brick be with you ! :grin:

Wow! Thats pretty big DobbyClone! :oh:

The seat area is pretty spot on, I think the back and the front could be alittle more curved though. :sweet: Also as lightningtiger pointed out, the intakes could be a little more scoopish.

Keep it up!

CF

As soon as I say this listed in the forums, I felt a great disturbence in the Force. :laugh: But this is a great model. It's my favorite BARC yet, and the first UCS BARC I've seen. :thumbup:

Frolando, I was actually inspired by this. Mine is roughly to the same scale. I believe it's the first UCS BARC on the web, but I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks to all of you, I'm gonna play around with it tonigh :classic:

Edited by DobbyClone

Nice! :sweet:

This is so full of awesome. I think I would have gone for more curved bricks and fewer staggered wedge plates on the back end, though.

Awesome! Could use Color in the correct Places though.

Yeah I wish I could get the Dk. Red perfects-maybe next time.

Nice! :sweet:

This is so full of awesome. I think I would have gone for more curved bricks and fewer staggered wedge plates on the back end, though.

Thanks Doc! Yeah-I wasn't really pleased with the back, either. :hmpf_bad: I'll give that a try when I start tinkering with it some more.

I must say, the UCS rendition is quite impressive! The size really does seem to have freed you up. You've made huge leaps in detail and accuracy in many places - the thinner repulsors, the elongated pedals, the twin handlebars, the tapering nose... overall it's much more fleshed out, which is good! :thumbup:

Expect a PM from me soon...

Edited by fallenangel309

Very impressive UCS-scale BARC speeder DC! It's a great thing you heeded fallenangel's advice which I would agree that the only way to capture the accuracy of the BARC is at a bigger scale like this. But there are still rooms for improvement, I think the rear part should be more curved and smooth, maybe using curved slopes, wedges, and tiles would do the trick. The same goes for the front air intake, as it looks a bit blocky compared to the real one.

Awesome creation! Speeder bikes are some of my favourite Star Wars vehicles, and I never thought I'd see a UCS version of one of them. Good work!

Oh no, here we go again :laugh:

Hey, come on - the same ship in a different scale is an entirely different MOC altogether. Would you say that 8017 and 10175 were similar in terms of build? Or 10174 and 7657? 7181 and 6206?

Wow, that was quick.

Expect a PM from me soon...

Recieved and skimmed, I'll zap you one back and read more thoroughly when I get the chance. :sweet:

Oh no, here we go again :laugh:

:wink:

Very impressive UCS-scale BARC speeder DC! It's a great thing you heeded fallenangel's advice which I would agree that the only way to capture the accuracy of the BARC is at a bigger scale like this. But there are still rooms for improvement, I think the rear part should be more curved and smooth, maybe using curved slopes, wedges, and tiles would do the trick. The same goes for the front air intake, as it looks a bit blocky compared to the real one.

I just reworked the rear repulsors and dome-I'll get some pics up when I get the chance.

Awesome creation! Speeder bikes are some of my favourite Star Wars vehicles, and I never thought I'd see a UCS version of one of them. Good work!

It certainly makes for a better display. :laugh:

Hey, come on - the same ship in a different scale is an entirely different MOC altogether. Would you say that 8017 and 10175 were similar in terms of build? Or 10174 and 7657? 7181 and 6206?

Which is precisely the reason that I don't call it V7-It's not a part of that models evolution. Speaking of V7 I'll try to have that up next week. :tongue:

I think I would have gone for more curved bricks and fewer staggered wedge plates on the back end, though.

Funny, I actually suggested the opposite.

I take it then that you've never seen this. There's also this by Reto, and of course we can't forget Gareth.

Which is precisely the reason that I don't call it V7-It's not a part of that models evolution. Speaking of V7 I'll try to have that up next week. :tongue:

You're continuing the minifigure scale version? Interesting... does that mean some of your other projects (ISP, ARC-170, etc) are still in progress as well?

Funny, I actually suggested the opposite.

You're continuing the minifigure scale version? Interesting... does that mean some of your other projects (ISP, ARC-170, etc) are still in progress as well?

I'm actually going with BrickDoctor on that one-I tried it out and it looks loads better than the plates did-so it'll stay.

Don't forget the UT-AT, Crab Droid, and AT-RT, but yes they're all on hold, actually. I think when I'm satisfied with my BARC I'll take a little MOCing vacation.

On the other-hand I have a venator command center ready, just need to photograph it! :sweet:

It looks really great, as soon as I saw the first photo, that reference pic used was the first thing that came to mind.

There are some parts that could use some recolouring and a little bit of tweaking. Still great though.

Hey brickartist ( mind if I call you like that ? ) ! I like your design very much , it's very close to the actual thing . If you're trying it on minifig scale too , I may help you , I gave it a shot a while ago too ( here it is BARC speeder final version ) . Finally , please check out my new creation ( mecha wip at lego star wars ) , I would appreciate some comments

Finally , please check out my new creation ( mecha wip at lego star wars ) , I would appreciate some comments

Hey, hey, this isn't MOCpages. :angry:

If you're trying it on minifig scale too , I may help you , I gave it a shot a while ago too ( here it is http://www.flickr.co...ker/5380493227/ ) .

Regarding your BARC, sorry, but accuracy-wise I would have to say that brickartist's minifigure scale renditition has sort of superseded yours... not only is it more accurate in terms of size and color (what's with the green?) but the proportions on brickartist's model are closer to the CGI model than what I can see on yours (e. g. the rear section is HUGE on yours). In addition, brickartist's model includes such details as pedals, a second set of handlebars (accurately stemming from the portion just ahead of the seat), and the smaller bits that stick out from either side of the tip of the nose, all of which are absent from your model.

It would be like Daniel From Sweden offering help to Bruce Lowell (I laugh at the thought)...

Hey brickartist ( mind if I call you like that ? ) ! I like your design very much , it's very close to the actual thing . If you're trying it on minifig scale too , I may help you , I gave it a shot a while ago too ( here it is BARC speeder final version ) . Finally , please check out my new creation ( mecha wip at lego star wars ) , I would appreciate some comments

As fallen states, asking for hits in my topic is...not really welcome. I'll look at it at some point. I have seen your BARC, and you said 'if your trying it at minifigure scale' so I'm wondering if you have seen my most recent model:

barc_v6-main.jpg

If you would like some help evolving your model, I can do that.

I actually remember your original model, I offered some comments on that one any ways I'll say what comes to mind. Mmmm... You've got one pair of z-74 handlebars on there, you need 2 pairs, in a totally different shape. The repulsors on the front are HUGE, and don't come out from the front portion. The back is almost as long as the rest of the model. The gap in the front should be about a third the size it is now(It looks like a Sarlacc got hungy and chomped down on it). The hammers on the back are on backwards, and last but not least if a droid shoots the rear repulsor then that ARF trooper is screwed 'cause you don't got no armor! Anyways thanks for the offer, but I'm good for now.

Hey, hey, this isn't MOCpages. :angry:

Regarding your BARC, sorry, but accuracy-wise I would have to say that brickartist's minifigure scale renditition has sort of superseded yours... not only is it more accurate in terms of size and color (what's with the green?) but the proportions on brickartist's model are closer to the CGI model than what I can see on yours (e. g. the rear section is HUGE on yours). In addition, brickartist's model includes such details as pedals, a second set of handlebars (accurately stemming from the portion just ahead of the seat), and the smaller bits that stick out from either side of the tip of the nose, all of which are absent from your model.

It would be like Daniel From Sweden offering help to Bruce Lowell (I laugh at the thought)...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wow this is truly awesome.

Great work.

It's a nice UCS you've done there.

I'll have to find me some time to have a closer look at this beauty as it seems you've nailed it pretty well and you've got some interesting techniques incorporated in your build as well.

Wow this is truly awesome.

Great work.

It's a nice UCS you've done there.

I'll have to find me some time to have a closer look at this beauty as it seems you've nailed it pretty well and you've got some interesting techniques incorporated in your build as well.

Thanks KimT, if you intend to Blog, I've got some updated pics that'll be up here soon.

Here's some shots of the improvements I've made with the assistance of the one and only FallenAngel.

ucs_barc_main.jpg

I'll do a little tour of whats been improved.

First off is the back, I've made it look rounder:

ucs_barc_back.jpg

Next is the Underside of the back, it looked better in Bley, and needed to gradually feed into the front:

ucs_barc_underside.jpg

I flipped the pedals around so I could fit some cheese on there(Call me crazy!):

ucs_barc_better_pedals.jpg

Then I elongated and rounded off the front portion. I also added a taper on the underside, but when I did my photo-shoot I forgot to put my blasters on :hmpf_bad:

ucs_barc_front.jpg

A side shot of the front:

ucs_barc_front_side.jpg

I'll update these into the first post in a little while. :sweet:

Edited by DobbyClone

Very nice version. The only flaw I see is the front looks a bit over exaggerated in my own opinion.

Edited by brickfoot

Now the rear and front parts are significantly better! Great job on the improvements. :thumbup: I hope to see more photos at different angles (front, quarter-front, etc.) so we could appreciate more the overall look of this build.

Very nice and the improved rear end is a lot better, the only grip i have is the front, could you not build it with plates instead of the 1x2x3 75 slopes? would give a thinner profile head on. You just need a UCS Z-74 to compliment it (if only Gareth made instructions)