Seany

88002 or 8866?

I'm sorry if its been asked before, but I couldnt find anything discussing the 88002 motor and what is the difference between that and the 8866?

Obviously there is a price difference, in the UK being 2 GBP.

So to me they look identicle, apart from a small difference in color, and the description doesn't give much away, but is one more reliable, faster, less whiny at low speed?

Thanks for your advice!

8866 is the old RC motor and 88002 is the new power functions motor.

EDIT: Fixed the links.

Edited by vgo

88002 is the old RC motor and 8866 is the new power functions motor.

You have those the wrong way round. 88002 is the newer PF motor, which is more powerful and has an integrated cable.

Thanks very much everyone.

The Lego site doesnt make it very clear!

JopieK: Thanks very much for that link, it gives me a lot of very useful details!

From TLG customer service, the 88002 motor (comes with Cargo Train 7939 and Passenger Train 7938) is different from the 8866 motor in several ways. 88002 has more power and torque, but also draws less current meaning longer battery life. I believe some one did testing and showed that 88002 also has better speed control (heard the 8866 has issues at low speed settings). Additionally, the 88002 moter comes with an integrated PF cable, where the 8866 motor requires a jumper cable (8886 I think) to connect it to PF set ups. The jumper cable itself has a few issues, the biggest being that the end that connects to the motor has the standard connection plate, meaning 2 stud and the electrical connection on top to allow for another cable to be connected to it. When connected to the motor, the studs and electrical connection actually extend above the boogie plate of the motor, and potentially cause binding (studs catch on bottom of train base plate preventing it from rotating) depending on where the motor is connected to the base. Now that they are making the 88002 motor available for sale, I feel the 8866 motor is obsolete, since the 88002 is a far superior product. The 8866 motor comes with a red bar painted on the boogie plate to make it identifiable. Both motors due make a hum when operating, so in that respect they are about equal. Physically, they are are same dimensions.

From TLG customer service, the 88002 motor (comes with Cargo Train 7939 and Passenger Train 7938) is different from the 8866 motor in several ways. 88002 has more power and torque, but also draws less current meaning longer battery life. I believe some one did testing and showed that 88002 also has better speed control (heard the 8866 has issues at low speed settings). Additionally, the 88002 moter comes with an integrated PF cable, where the 8866 motor requires a jumper cable (8886 I think) to connect it to PF set ups. The jumper cable itself has a few issues, the biggest being that the end that connects to the motor has the standard connection plate, meaning 2 stud and the electrical connection on top to allow for another cable to be connected to it. When connected to the motor, the studs and electrical connection actually extend above the boogie plate of the motor, and potentially cause binding (studs catch on bottom of train base plate preventing it from rotating) depending on where the motor is connected to the base. Now that they are making the 88002 motor available for sale, I feel the 8866 motor is obsolete, since the 88002 is a far superior product. The 8866 motor comes with a red bar painted on the boogie plate to make it identifiable. Both motors due make a hum when operating, so in that respect they are about equal. Physically, they are are same dimensions.

The new motor 88002 does better at low speed settings because it has a lot more torque, it is simply a much better motor. It is more efficient, and I'm sure it'll last longer too.

The hum is not caused by the motors themselves, it's caused by the PF receiver. The way it regulates the speed is by rapidly turning on/off the power to the motor. So at half speed, your train is not running at 4.5 volt, instead, it gets 0V, 9V, 0V, 9V, ....

The frequency with which the PF receiver turns on/off the electricity can be heard through the motor. Any DC motor connected to the PF receiver will make that sound (I tried this out with the old 9V motor, but logic tells me that any DC motor will make that sound). Question for the experts: I've been wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to connect a large capacitor to the motor, in order to dim the sound. Could that harm the PF receiver?

The new motor 88002 does better at low speed settings because it has a lot more torque, it is simply a much better motor. It is more efficient, and I'm sure it'll last longer too.

The hum is not caused by the motors themselves, it's caused by the PF receiver. The way it regulates the speed is by rapidly turning on/off the power to the motor. So at half speed, your train is not running at 4.5 volt, instead, it gets 0V, 9V, 0V, 9V, ....

The frequency with which the PF receiver turns on/off the electricity can be heard through the motor. Any DC motor connected to the PF receiver will make that sound (I tried this out with the old 9V motor, but logic tells me that any DC motor will make that sound). Question for the experts: I've been wondering whether or not it would be a good idea to connect a large capacitor to the motor, in order to dim the sound. Could that harm the PF receiver?

A capacitor will kill the pulses as it charges so the motor will not turn at all. I'm not sure what will happen once it's charged but I suspect it will still level the pulses so things will not work properly.

Jonathan

This is called PWM. It's used a lot because analog parts (like reostats) are not needed.

That makes sense. I never really considered that. Thanks.

Anyone got a suggestion on how to attach 2 of the 88002 motors to a single engine. Right now my plan was to use the PF control switch (#8869) to reverse the direction of the one of the motors, since the motors have to face opposite directions based on the cordage.

Is there any other easy options for this.

Anyone got a suggestion on how to attach 2 of the 88002 motors to a single engine. Right now my plan was to use the PF control switch (#8869) to reverse the direction of the one of the motors, since the motors have to face opposite directions based on the cordage.

Is there any other easy options for this.

That's how I've done it on both of my double motored locos. I imagine you'd have to do some modifications to one of the motors otherwise.

As the 8866 RC motor does not have an intrergal power lead as per the 88002 PF motor, how do you connect 8866 motor to a PF reciever - do you need a special power lead ?

Yes, there's a PF adapter cable. See the discussion earlier in this thread about it - it doesn't fit right on the train motor, so the 88002 motor is a better choice if you're using PF power.