Sign in to follow this  
L@go

MOC: Four City Vehicles

indexed.gif V-LV-46C, V-LV-46E & V-LV-46F, V-LC-15B

Hi there - I thought I'd share some pictures of four of the latest city vehicles I've built. I tested out different designs in MLCad first, like I normally do, then ordered the bricks and built them - and then realised I could do with some stickers.

These are really more or less my first MOC vehicles since coming out of my dark ages a couple of years ago. I've stuck to other people's design up to now, but I always enjoyed building cars when I was a kid, and wanted to relive some of that.

I'm quite happy with the way all of these turned out, but the hot rod is my own personal favourite. It's not meant to look like any particular hot rod, and it's probably not as realistic as some of the other ones that are posted on this forum, but I like it. And the stickers was the icing on the cake.

So, with no further ado (saving the best for last) I present: The softroader, or SUV. Not really much to say about that, but here's a couple of pictures:

5483809123_566cea59b8_z.jpg

5483810069_e3d5f7e768_z.jpg

As you can see, I've used hinges for door mirrors, like TLC's own designers have done in recent City sets.

The Neo-Classic Delivery Van is next. You may have seen it before, I posted some MLCad images to get your opinion on which version to brick-build. This is what I ended up with:

5484402668_f6a132351b_z.jpg

5483808909_0262bb3d3d_z.jpg

I wanted to try to make something that could be a modern car, designed with a (very) retro feel. The suicide-style doors are a consequence of the design, but I thought I could get away with it in something so retro. The van carries some parcels for the driver to deliver.

Number three in line is the Sport Coupé, with a yellow stripe running down the center of the car. I thought the colour combination was perfect for those doors, and I think the driver looks good in his vintage sweater :)

5484406996_669a854e0e_z.jpg

5484405748_b4a3a36aa6_z.jpg

I actually screwed up slightly when designing this in MLCad - originally, the bumper was going to be set one plate further back, but when I was going to build it I suddenly realised that there are no studs right below the grille to put that yellow 1x2 tile on, so I had to put a 1x4 dark bluish grey plate in between. That hurt the rear design more than the front, as I had originally designed the car with a 1x2 cheese slope where the rear number plate ended up. But I'm still happy with it.

And then, finally, the Hot Rod, which I also think of as being based on a modern chassis, hence the modern wheels.

5484399880_c385919918_z.jpg

5484400370_3eac032af7_z.jpg

I ordered the skull stickers on BrickLink, but if I'm not too badly mistaken they come from the Space Skulls set. I thought it was a neat idea to give the proud owner a matching leather jacket :)

5483806089_c17cc7f951_z.jpg

I also knew I wanted some flames, and searched for stickers that would fit the bill on BL. I'm happy with the result - and particularly that detail with the tiny skull sticker in the grille...

5484397304_78b50f711f_z.jpg

This is the original MLCad design for the Hot Rod. If you want to see more pictures of these cars, including MLCad renderings of all four, you can have a look at the Flickr set.

I've also made a Renault-style semi with a refrigerated trailer. But that'll have to wait for later - it takes a while to edit these images... :)

Hope you enjoy my return to vehicle MOCing! Comments welcome :)

Impressive collection of City vehicles L@go! I must say all of them are very well done and have their own distinct 'identity'. I like the Hot Rod the best, and I'm sure most members will too. Excellent work! :thumbup:

The blue SUV is fantastic, mind if I make one for my son.....oh, yeah the other vehicles are great too ! :thumbup:

Brick On 'L@go' ! :grin:

Great Jobs!

The Van Made Me feel like making a few LDD models to brick build in a few weeks. A Gardner truck.

I like the Sports car too with the very ongoing yellow stripe!

Keep on Driving.

*Fuzzy* :classic:

Nice car collection L@go. They all look great, but I must say that my favorite is the Sport Coupé. It is so sleek :blush:

Thanks for all the nice comments! It's very interesting how you seem to have different favourites :)

The blue SUV is fantastic, mind if I make one for my son...

Of course not! Just remember to keep on b... yeah, you know.

Great vehicles! They all look great and are detailed. The stickers on the hot rod give a nice look and feel to it, especially the fact the minifig driver has a matching skull on the back of his jacket. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Hello!

These vehicles really show your careful planning while building. Four different styles, four different colours, and you even added a characteristic driver to each car type. A great variety in all aspects! Very nice! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Nice work. I like the Hot Rod and Sport Coupe. :thumbup: How would the SUV look if it has a spare wheel/tire in the back?

I'm particularly fond of the blue SUV, because it resembles a toyota FJ Cruiser. White roof, blue body.

i.toyota.FJ.cruiser.2007.blue.side.05feb.jpg

Edited by Out of Sight

woah!! i like the delivery van!! i just don't have the gift (or bricks) to make vehicles..

How would the SUV look if it has a spare wheel/tire in the back?

Probably very long. It's already got quite a big overhang, so I personally think it would look a bit out of place. After all, those tires are pretty wide.

I'm particularly fond of the blue SUV, because it resembles a toyota FJ Cruiser.

Yeah, I know - I realised that while building it. The colour scheme suits it quite nicely :)

woah!! i like the delivery van!! i just don't have the gift (or bricks) to make vehicles..

Don't be so hard on yourself, and give it a go! BrickLink will provide you with the bricks. Start off buying used ones - that'll make it more affordable, and vehicles aren't the most part-consuming MOCs you could build...

And thanks again for all the nice remarks, guys! Really appreciate it!