Search Questions

ASK HERE search Technics search engine

60 replies to this topic

#26 squiz

squiz

Member: 9904

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:58 AM

my guess is that "well" is such a popular word used on these forums that there are too many results to be displayed. I tried searching for "and" and "the" and the same message came up. Have to let a mod clear this up for sure but i reckon if you search using more specific terms you will get a match. Though i appreciate that will be quite hard for well  :tongue:

#27 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:21 AM

View Postsquiz, on 27 August 2010 - 12:58 AM, said:

my guess is that "well" is such a popular word used on these forums that there are too many results to be displayed. I tried searching for "and" and "the" and the same message came up. Have to let a mod clear this up for sure but i reckon if you search using more specific terms you will get a match. Though i appreciate that will be quite hard for well  :tongue:
The prize goes to squiz!  :sweet:

I understand why you'd see it as a problem, but it this case it's just bad luck (and another reason why English is a flawed language) that what you want is spelled the same way as a common filling word. This site has a simple word based search system; it makes no effort to understand the context. Thus "Well I think M%g# Bl&ks sux" is taken to be the same word as "My pussy is down a well". Thus there are simply too many returns for "well" so it isn't indexed.

Aside from implementing a tagging based system there is no easy solution to this.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#28 Sisco

Sisco

• Golden Amusement Park

Member: 8341

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:36 AM

If you're looking for MOCs, it always helps to look in the MOC index first. There's an index for mostly everything on EB, I find they are extremely helpful.
Heroica Stats
Currently Playing as Sigrid in TinyPie's Ragnarok Now Redux.
Won as the Sithy Sith Ili Seosty in K-Nut's and MB's Jedi Temple Mafia.
Won as the Dark One Craig Otoko In Def's The Coming Darkness.
Won
as the only survivor (loyal) Amy Leeds in Village of the Bloody Damned.
Died as Servant of Loki Sigmund in TinyPies' Ragnarok Now Mafia.
Died as Loyal Townie happy-go-lucky firefighter Craig Boy in Eurodina Mafia.
Died loyal in PoP Mafia Game.
Died as Alex Jordan in Bob's Suburbia.
Survived 'till the end but still mourns his wife, Valerie as Ralph Jenkins in Red Scare Mystery.
Wanna know more about me? Check out my Profile!

#29 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:49 AM

View PostSiegfried, on 27 August 2010 - 03:21 AM, said:

Thus "Well I think M%g# Bl&ks sux" is taken to be the same word as "My pussy is down a well". Thus there are simply too many returns for "well" so it isn't indexed.
You're the master of examples...  *huh*  :grin:

View Postcralegoboy, on 27 August 2010 - 03:36 AM, said:

There's an index for mostly everything on EB, I find they are extremely helpful.
Most of the time those work better indeed. Especially reviews are extremely well indexed.

#30 noname

noname

Member: 7942

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

View Postsquiz, on 27 August 2010 - 12:58 AM, said:

View PostSiegfried, on 27 August 2010 - 03:21 AM, said:

The prize goes to squiz!  :sweet:

I understand why you'd see it as a problem, but it this case it's just bad luck (and another reason why English is a flawed language) that what you want is spelled the same way as a common filling word. This site has a simple word based search system; it makes no effort to understand the context. Thus "Well I think M%g# Bl&ks sux" is taken to be the same word as "My pussy is down a well". Thus there are simply too many returns for "well" so it isn't indexed.

Aside from implementing a tagging based system there is no easy solution to this.

Thanks.  :classic:

View Postcralegoboy, on 27 August 2010 - 03:36 AM, said:

If you're looking for MOCs, it always helps to look in the MOC index first. There's an index for mostly everything on EB, I find they are extremely helpful.

That's how I've found the MOC.

I think the thread should be locked now.

#31 petero

petero

Member: 9562

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

I was just trying to search for the words color conversion, and the search only included conversion.  So I tried with just the word color, and I got this message:

The following search terms are not allowed and were removed from your query: color

Why is the word color not allowed?  What I'm trying to find is a conversion between the colors Bricklink's inventories use, and what LDD shows when you choose a color.  For instance, BL uses light tan and dark tan to describe the bricks of the structure in 7306 Golden Staff Guardians, but LDD does not list those colors.

Thanks!

Peter

#32 MightySlickPancake

MightySlickPancake

Member: 3672

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:17 PM

I done mean to sound rude but the proper spelling is colour rather than color. But i dont really understand what you searching for, please elaborate.

Thanks, CB

Edited by crabboy329, 29 November 2010 - 08:18 PM.

was crabboy329 now MIGHTYSLICKPANCAKE! returning from a eurobricks darkage.

Check out my Team Fortress 2 Moc

#33 LuxorV

LuxorV

• Will Cat Accordingly.

Member: 1771

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:52 PM

This is a strange issue indeed, but it seems to be related to UK English spelling: the word colour is ok, while the American English color is not...

You can work around it by searching "color" (with quotation marks). It works just fine for me. Of course, you better use the Advanced Search and limit the range, or you'll get a flood of results :wink:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Looking for new decals or help customising your LEGO elements? Check the Minifig Customisation Index!

My Brickshelf --- My Flickr

#34 MacK

MacK

• The DaddY MacK

Member: 2984

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:32 AM

View Postcrabboy329, on 29 November 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

I done mean to sound rude but the proper spelling is colour rather than color. But i dont really understand what you searching for, please elaborate.

Thanks, CB

Not if you're American :wink:

#35 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

View Postcrabboy329, on 29 November 2010 - 08:17 PM, said:

Thanks, CB
Proper depends on where you are.  Don't assume everyone does things the way you do.

#36 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Grumpy moo

Member: 4757

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Ah yes, but it is just America that seems to spell it that way and maybe this member has had the fortune not to encounter this strange method of spelling as yet  :wink:

Please no arguments on spelling differences between English and American, that is historical and we will leave it alone. Here is an informative little factoid for you to look at.

There are no red lights in a car chase!

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Tesni Hightribe

In Heroica the RPG

#37 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:34 PM

This is an interesting puzzle because I've had to search color (both spellings) several times. What would be ideal is if you could search it with one spelling and it would find results for both spellings. But I suppose the board software probably isn't advanced enough to handle that.

Also, love the link, Peppermint_M! I would have guessed that the American spellings reflected Spanish influence (since the Spanish were some of the first colonizers in the Western Hemisphere, and Spanish almost never uses more than one vowel together), but it's interesting to note that it's been an issue of dispute not only between countries but also within countries for such a long stretch of history.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#38 Mrlegoninja

Mrlegoninja

Member: 11901

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

I used to use the search funtion, but I never got results I wanted. What would come up would not be releated to what I wanted. For example, I searched "2011 City Sets", but what I came up for my first 3 answers were "Calling power functions experts", "Star Wars Lego Photography", and "18th century British Army". None of these relate to what I searched. Is there a reason for this?
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I tried searching and got unrelated results.

Edited by Mrlegoninja, 27 February 2011 - 07:38 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Murdered Day 8 as former Armed Forces member and Spider ward member Dudley Eisenhower in Def's Doctor Bloodbrick's Asylum.-Insane
Thank you Jebediahs for that great paper doll!

Died as Congressman Aide Maxwell Touns in Bob's Red Scare Mystery-Town

Died as Pub Owner Mrs. Le Goninja in Def's The Coming Darkness-Town

Died as Pet Store owner Jack Montgomery in Bob's Suburbia
Currently playing as the 40 year old teller Richard Sexton in Hinckley's Red Moon Two!

#39 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

View PostMrlegoninja, on 27 February 2011 - 07:31 PM, said:

I used to use the search funtion, but I never got results I wanted. What would come up would not be releated to what I wanted. For example, I searched "2011 City Sets", but what I came up for my first 3 answers were "Calling power functions experts", "Star Wars Lego Photography", and "18th century British Army". None of these relate to what I searched. Is there a reason for this?
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I tried searching and got unrelated results.
Probably because those words you searched for are mentioned in those topics. Try using the advanced search and checking the 'Search titles only' box.

#40 fred67

fred67

• A builder, not a hoarder

Member: 8444

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

I don't think the EB search function works so well, personally, so I use google:

Google Search: "2011 City Sets" site:eurobricks.com

The first hit is this thread.

#41 mikey

mikey

Member: 5926

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I totally agree with fred67, the search is very hit and miss.  But what really annoys me about it is the 'Flood Control', please wait 20 seconds.  I can understand the site doesn't need constant random searches, but only members can search anyway, so why does 'Flood Control' need to apply to everyone?  Of course I could understand it if it just applied to members with less than 10 posts, but once someone has 10 posts I think they can be trusted not to 'abuse' the search system.
my flickr

#42 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 27 February 2011 - 07:59 PM, said:

Probably because those words you searched for are mentioned in those topics. Try using the advanced search and checking the 'Search titles only' box.
Indeed, that's what it (probably) does.

I only use advanced search. An additional benefit - besides being able to search just titles (which is usually what you want anyway) - is that you can specify the subforums to search in by holding down the ctrl-key and selecting the forums to search or can even search by author.

#43 Horry

Horry

• He's back!

Member: 16842

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

heyho!

As a news scout for the pirates blog I have to use the search function regularly. Since the board-update, the search function randomly gives out no search results where there should some, claiming that there are "no results" - for example: I searched for myself a few minutes ago and the search gave no results for Horry - now, everything works as it should - what am I doing wrong?

I tried this on three different computers, always firefox and windows 7 and one google chrome test - everything with the same results - it feels a little bit like it's dependent on some kind of time interval instead of a system problem.
Greetings from the horrible Horry!
New to Eurobricks? Don't get lost, read the site guidelines

Posted Image

Have a look on my tutorials on cannon fortifications caravels ship specs frigates and small ships

#44 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I personally always use the advanced search, and by doing that I have always gotten good reliable results.

Are you using the advanced search or just the regular search box?

#45 Horry

Horry

• He's back!

Member: 16842

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure that this happened with the normal search function - I'll try to keep an eye on the search functions I use. If nothing happens, I'll be happy as hell!
Greetings from the horrible Horry!
New to Eurobricks? Don't get lost, read the site guidelines

Posted Image

Have a look on my tutorials on cannon fortifications caravels ship specs frigates and small ships

#46 JopieK

JopieK

• Kneecap Buster

Member: 1180

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I wanted to search for issues with the NXT-G software in Mac. I knew I had seen a topic about it. EB.com search does not let me use NXT and MAC as search items since they are only 3 letters... both NXT and MAC have a quite distinct meaning, so that is not very wise of course (although after some trouble I found what I needed).

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help?Ask Here

Posted Image

-== Classic LEGO trains are the best ==-

Do you need replacement stickers for LEGO (reproductions and customs): ministickers.nl

What then about the LEGuanO?!

#47 Fugazi

Fugazi

• Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?

Member: 8966

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

As mentioned in the Eurobricks FAQ, if the built-in search engine doesn't work for you the best alternative is to use an external search engine (eg. Google) and add the 'site:eurobricks.com' search parameter in the search box. That will definitely allow you to use three-letter search items.
Playing as Sammy Sycamore in Walter Kovacs' Unrest in the Forest Mafia

#48 JopieK

JopieK

• Kneecap Buster

Member: 1180

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

that is how I do it indeed and it works fine, but maybe the board can also just allow certain terms like NXT!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help?Ask Here

Posted Image

-== Classic LEGO trains are the best ==-

Do you need replacement stickers for LEGO (reproductions and customs): ministickers.nl

What then about the LEGuanO?!

#49 Fugazi

Fugazi

• Welcome to Eurobricks. How can I help you?

Member: 8966

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

I'm not sure if it's feasible to allow only a few specific three-letter searches. And allowing all three-letter searches would create excessive load on our server. It might also be possible to add a Google custom search box to the board, if this is something many members have a problem with.
Playing as Sammy Sycamore in Walter Kovacs' Unrest in the Forest Mafia

#50 Yung Toby

Yung Toby

Member: 33675

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hello...I have a question I search it and everything, maybe I'm not getting it or something.
I'm new ..and I am trying to began making my own custom minifigure. I have done my torso, which I think is the easiest part but when it comes to the face I don't know exactly what to do ..can an some of my fellow members teach me your ways of how to design my own Lego face on a face template .....thanks

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ASK HERE, search, Technics search engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users